Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Quote from: anglocelt39 on July 17, 2012, 07:11:31 PM
Just about all the names I could think of who could bring a small bit of physicality and experience to the set up have been named and a fair few more so maybe there is hope. The only other names I can think of are M Hannon and Eoin McGuigan. I understand Hannon has retired but he cant be any more than 28 and was very good before injuries started to set him back.

Hannon would be to busy going around the country supporting Johnston to put in effort with Cavan from what i am told.

cogito

Two points.

Holy god I just realised how tough Division Three is going to be next year  :o

Secondly. Hyland is harldy doing the u21's again is he?

tommysmith

Quote from: cogito on July 17, 2012, 07:33:36 PM
Two points.

Holy god I just realised how tough Division Three is going to be next year  :o

Secondly. Hyland is harldy doing the u21's again is he?

This term is up with them and he wont be going for it again.

cogito

Thanks Tommy.

This board went awful quiet for a while. Glad to see there are still a few Breffni men around the country who keep a strong interest in our county team.

Sad that our season is over already but I suppose we should be used to it by now unfortunately  >:(

Westside

Quote from: tommysmith on July 17, 2012, 04:56:44 PM
Quote from: Westside on July 17, 2012, 04:36:56 PM

I take it you saw the tweets I'm on about then tommy!? Funny enough in fairness but still the criticism is unwarranted I think. Tom Reilly has taken drastic steps to help improve football in Cavan, he's not there to make friends and he has never been afraid to upset the apple cart. He has more integrity than lads who take cheap shots on twitter because he challenged the status quo that they enjoyed so much. He has put the foundation in place for the improvement of Gaelic Games in our county and if we have the balls to see it through I believe it will work.

Yeah i looked them up, he does look like Pat Mustard though  :D

I have no respect for Tom Reilly, he stated at a County Board meeting that he or any member of county board had nothing to do with Vals exit only for Pauric Reilly to come out and say it was him or some member of County board who started the whole thing.  He also more or less bullied delagates into accepting Hyland as manager.

In Tom Reilly's defence, did he not just ask Podge to gauge the feelings towards Val in the camp at a meeting? I can't remember the particulars but in Paul Fitzpatrick's report on the whole thing it seemed like a comedy of errors but TR never actually tried to get Val out. How did he bully delegates?

tommysmith

Tom Reilly said at the meeting that he tried to stop the players meeting going ahead and had rang Podge and asked him not to have it.  He said that Podge told him it was going ahead.

Podge denies all this and says that PAT MUSTARD rang him and told him to have the meeting and to discuss what the players though of the management.

rodney trotter

Reilly was totally in the wrong over that whole fiasco. He appointed Terry Hyland in the first place as u21 manager so that probaly saved him some slack (winning 2 ulster u21s). Only for that he should have been made resign, he probaly should have been made resign regardless.

Important that they appoint a good manager for the u21's next year, very strong team next year again, hopefully we can make it 3-in a row. The juniors are well depleted for the All Ireland semi, Declan Mckiernan,Dara Tighe and Josh Hayes are all ineligible since the Leinster Final.

mylestheslasher

Emm. Not sure if thats how it happened Tommy. I listened to an interview with Andrews on it. The way he explained it was roughly as follows...

- Players wanted to have a meeting.
- Tom Reilly told Andrews not to allow it.
- Andrews decided he would allow it and asked Podge to let him know if there were any issues.
- Tom Reilly also called Podge and basically asked him if there was a problem with management to let him know.
- After the meeting Tom Reilly and Podge spoke. This is where the disagreements arose. Tom Reilly picked it up (whether intentionally or innocently) that they players had expressed (or voted is the term Tom Reilly used) doubts in Andrews. Podge said this was untrue and all that had been done was that a few small concerns were raised which Andrews later said would have been easily solved. Tom Reilly had passed his take on the call onto Andrews who then resigned.
- Podge gave an interview to the Celt saying he was disappointed in Tom Reilly for misrepresenting what had come from the meeting.

Not sure about what Reilly said at a later meeting but thats the way I remember it.

rodney trotter

there was a bogus result of 33/3 of a no vote in confidence in Andrews. Only 26 at the meeting ::)
Andrews thought he was voted out, and was talking about it on the radio and the next day it was revaled he wasn't. 

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=anglo+celt+tom+reilly&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.anglocelt.ie%2Fsport%2Fgaelicfootball%2Farticles%2F2012%2F04%2F19%2F4010111-what-a-crazy-game-this-is%2F&ei=AMEFUNDgMoPDhAfP0ujaBw&usg=AFQjCNFHSGM4GXF85S76-iS1wsl8Jf3Dmg

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 17, 2012, 08:41:13 PM
Emm. Not sure if thats how it happened Tommy. I listened to an interview with Andrews on it. The way he explained it was roughly as follows...

- Andrews decided he would allow it and asked Podge to let him know if there were any issues.
- Tom Reilly also called Podge and basically asked him if there was a problem with management to let him know.
- After the meeting Tom Reilly and Podge spoke. This is where the disagreements arose. Tom Reilly picked it up (whether intentionally or innocently) that they players had expressed (or voted is the term Tom Reilly used) doubts in Andrews. Podge said this was untrue and all that had been done was that a few small concerns were raised which Andrews later said would have been easily solved. Tom Reilly had passed his take on the call onto Andrews who then resigned.
- Podge gave an interview to the Celt saying he was disappointed in Tom Reilly for misrepresenting what had come from the meeting.

Not sure about what Reilly said at a later meeting but thats the way I remember it.

I was at the County board meeting Myles i know what Tom Reilly said to us that night and then Podge rubbished it all a few days later. 

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tommysmith on July 17, 2012, 09:24:44 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 17, 2012, 08:41:13 PM

I was at the County board meeting Myles i know what Tom Reilly said to us that night and then Podge rubbished it all a few days later.

Fair enough, I wasn't so I'll take your word for it. That was handled badly for sure but at the same time Andrews was bringing us backwards in my opinion.

tommysmith

I agree but the chairman should have had the balls to go to Val and tell him his services were not required anymore instead of setting up the players.

Its going to be a tough few yrs ahead for Cavan football.

BallyhaiseMan

Who do you lads reckon will take  the club championships.

Senior- Its hard to look past the Gaels again.
Intermediate-Lacken would have to be strong favourites.
Junior- Its a hard one to pick, Laragh and Munterconnacht will be strong, Shannon Gaels have lost alot of players so i don't know if they will be as strong as they were.

rodney trotter

I think Kingscourt have a good chance in the senior chamionship. They have done decent so far this year without a full team available, they should be close to full strength for champo. Dudley Farrel is back with them this year so thats a big help. Manager from 2008-2010 when they won the championship. Gaels will still be the team to beat, lots of players to replace Johnston, although he is still a big loss. Castlerahan are going well this year too, they didn't show up for co final last year, they are alot better than that showing.

Crosserlough, Ballyhaise and my own club lacken are the mian teams in intermediate. Lacken have lost the last 3 games in the league, so confidence wouldn't be as high as it was a few weeks ago. Ballyhaise have a talented team but never deliver in intermediate for some reason. Good win last week against Lacken. They might pick up form now. Crosserlough have johnny Crowe back recently from injury, he was a big loss for crosserlough last year.

Junior. I think Arva are good outside bet, Some very talenetd players, few older players like Dermot McGlade and Gavin Doyle have experience. Laragh should be close, and obviously shannon gaels , munterconnaght. I think eamonn reilly isn't available for shannon gaels this year, very good player.

tierworker blue

Lads, when is that Junior semi final...anyone have the date handy?