Previous topic - Next topic

drici

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Ollie

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 04, 2012, 04:52:56 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 04, 2012, 03:06:04 PM
We need a plan B in goals.

We do - Fannin and Mickey Brennan... ::) ::) ::)

I can't understand that. We need Fannin and Brennan pushing for a place outfield in order to keep the younger lads on there toes. James Reilly is a good keeper but is very poor when coming off the line. Surely Alan O'Meara is worth at least a place on the bench.

Just on midfield, Both Mckiernan and Givney worked very hard against Sligo with both kicking good scores and taking some good catches but at no stage were they ever in control of midfield. As I said in a previous post it was disappointing how Cavan didn't make use of the extra man and continued to let Sligo back into the game.

My man of the match was Brendan Fitzpatrick. He was the most influential of our forwards when it came to gaining and using possession.  Dunne kicked some good scores but against the likes of Donegal in the championship I don't think he'll be given as much room as the Sligo forwards gave him. McDermott played reasonably well but would like to see him impose himself on the game a bit more.

rodney trotter

David Givney played well and scored some good scores, but he was very wasteful on a few occasions, kicking the ball from difficult angles when he could have just let into the ff line. Mckeever played well at centre forward don't think he ever played that position with Cavan before as he would be usually on the wing but he used the ball well and showed good composure. Should be another 2 points next week all going well as Tipp were hammered today.

Celt_Man

Who was named as sub keeper in the programme?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cogito

Made the trip down to Breffni on Saturday night for my first game in about a year I would say. Rely on what you boys tell me to keep up to date with the goings on.

Have to be pleased with the result. Was nice to get a first win of the year and get up and running. McKeever was excellent and I thought Barkey and Flanagan were excellent as well. Hopefully we can be patient with the two big fellas midfield and let them develop. There is no doubting their potential.

The goal was a poor one to concede and we really made it difficult for ourselves. Always rated James Reilly very highly but by going from reports he has been responsible for two goals in three games now. More alarmingly is Keith Fannin really the sub goalkeeper now? :o No wonder Reilly is off the boil if he has no genuine competition for a spot.

And by god Niall Smith can run fast! Id say the fella that was marking him was delighted to be subbed!

mylestheslasher

Smiths marker was subbed before he was, no less than probably sligos best player of the last few years johnny davey.

Westside

Lads what happened James McEnroe? Looked like one of Cavan's best players last year.

Great to get the win against Sligo. As was alluded to above; I'd be concerned about James Reilly. Truthfully he hasn't impressed in recent times at all, not last year and certainly not this year so far.

On the plus side it's great to see McKeever react so well to being dropped. Good to see Bud making progress too. We need to be beating Tipp and Offaly.

PhilsJemmysField

Was away for a while there and missed the board. Great to see a wee bit of positive feeling about a win. It is a long hard road to Tipp and would be hard t get out with a win. At least we can travel with a bit of confidence

mylestheslasher

Richie - I think you are being very harsh there on some of the players. Glory Hunting - I don't think so, wasteful at times and maybe young lads took the wrong option but I don't think it was out of greed. Leaderless - Also harsh, they are a young team and I thought mcKeever lead them well from ctr forward. Sligo had great momentum at the time of the sending off and in my opinion it was due to pure tiredness and also to the fact that Sligo are not a bad team and indeed are experienced and have been around the block a good few years. The fact remains Sligo were well bet only for Miller making a mess for the goal and anytime they got close we were able to go up the field and get the score to keep distance at 3 pts, like when Bud Fitz ran half the field will McKiernan on his shoulder when he kicked a nice point. You should also remember the way the players kept the ball at the end to run down the clock, they made a mess of it but they were trying to do the right thing at least with the extra man and time up. My one criticism is that Andrews probably should have put on fresh legs earlier.

Also, Givney and McKiernan did lord midfield for 3/4 of the game. Just because they didn't make 10 clean fielding of the ball doesn't mean I am wrong. The two boys flicked ball onto their half backs and also dominate the area in open play. Sure, every pass was not perfect but both of them gave in some lovely passes considering Sligo were filtering a few extra bodies back.

Tipp did not become a bad team overnight either and will be looking at this game as one they have to win and I think it will be a tough game for us but hopefully we can get another 2 points and see where it brings us.

whats my name

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd2qZ6upbSs&feature=g-all&context=G29531ccFAAAAAAAABAA you might of seen the post match interview already but here is the link for those who havent. Val's thinking on the whole situation is a lot done a lot more to do. And i have to agree with him but infairness i think we are heading in the right direction as he said himself we showed a lot of heart it was fairly evident throughout the game with everyone working to regain posession be it our backs our forwards etc id say we turned the ball over in our forward line on at least 5 occasions through hard work an determination one thing i havent seen from a cavan forward line in ages which was great to see so hopefully cavan can build on this work ethic and we can move forward as a team with everyone fighting for each other

cogito

There definitely was positives to take from Saturday. I was impressed with out tackling and work-rate for the most part and it is clear that we have young lads trying to do the right thing. That is a start I suppose.

Our composure up front was poor but you have the take the positives at the same time and realise we got plenty of ball in dangerous positions. McKeever was brilliant in my opinion and he supplements the likes of Smith and Meehan well. The latter two defintely should have been subbed earlier to freshen things up. Couldn't understand why it was left so long.

Goals/Full back is where we are going to run into trouble in my opinion. I know Tipp have a forward that is a handful and I am worried about us there on Sunday. And from the sounds of things we dont have a whole pile of options.

cogito

Seanie Johnston's proposed transfer to Kildare has been knocked back again by Croke Park's Central Competition's Control Committee (CCCC).

Michael Mooney, chairman of Johnston's home club, Cavan Gaels, said they had received correspondence from Croke Park confirming the decision.

"It's nice for it to come to a conclusion and we can now concentrate on football and get him back in the squad," said Mooney.

"Cavan Gaels always want to see the best players playing for Cavan Gaels and for the county.

"We definitely have no ill feeling, it was never an issue that he didn't want to play with Cavan Gaels, he wanted to play county football and felt that he wasn't wanted by Cavan.

"He trained with us recently and he was very welcome."

The saga began on November 24 when it was revealed that Johnston, omitted from Val Andrews' panel for this season, met withKildare manager Kieran McGeeney with a view to switching to the Lilywhites.

In December, Johnston applied to the CCCC requesting permission to play for Kildare without leaving his home club but that request was refused.

On January 12, he appeared before the Central Appeals Committee to appeal this decision but his plea fell through.

Later that week, he broke his silence on the matter explaining that he lived in Straffan, Kildare, though he was employed in Cavan town, 82 miles away.

Subsequently, Cavan GAA chiefs objected to the transfer due to doubts over the player's permanent residency in Kildare. Johnston then appeared before the CCCC who quashed his bid.

It remains to be seen if Johnston will challenge the decision.

Denn Forever

On another subject, let the bus do the driving.

Cavan v Tipperary
06 March 2012

Cavan v Tipperary.
In Thurles.
Great overnight deal available.
Bus leaving Cavan Town at 1pm on Saturday 10 March 2012.

Overnight stay in Hayes Hotel, Thurles, Bed and Breakfast and 3 course evening meal on Saturday evening.
€95 per person including bus to and from Thurles.

Some spaces still available.
Contact 086 8161063.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Westside

I see Evans talking about how the defeat last weekend was the lowest of the low for Tipp. They will be very dangerous this weekend in Thurles, I would expect a backlash. Let's hope our lads can match them for desire.