Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on September 20, 2011, 06:35:49 PM
Quote from: boojangles on September 20, 2011, 05:16:57 PM
Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on September 20, 2011, 12:15:49 PM
Well Boo congratulations just looked at the table on Cavan Gaa website and you got the points versus Denn. So looks like Div 2  will now end up in the Supreme Court at the Ulster council if Denn want t take it further

Heard that earlier Phil. Denn have 3 days to appeal. Just hoping it doesn't end up in the European Court of Human Rights.  :P
Not the best way to seal promotion but we should have had it wrapped up in the last league game only for a scandalous refereeing decision denied us the 2 points.

Ahh sure these things even themselves out over a season sure didn't you get away with murder against us!!  ;D

All joking aside well done to Drumalee - got off to a suspect start if memory serves but carried on regardless

Haha wouldn't quite call it murder now. Maybe evening time robbery!  ;D

Ye we lost to Drung and Shannon Gaels early but have only dropped 1 point since that.

rodney trotter

Any thoughts on what players should be involved with the county panel for next season? They are suppose to be announcing a training panel by the end of this month.. I saw Enda Gaffney twice this year and he could be worth a look he might not have the interest though, David Finnegan has had a good year with ballinagh his last game against the gaels wasn't of his best but he was very good till then as was Niall Reilly, Oisin and Enda o Connell have been excellent all year with castlerahan but like gaffney they might not have the interest.. They opted out of the u21s this year after a few games in the hastings cup. Mark Lynch from crosserlough has had a solid year aswell.

mylestheslasher

Good luck to the Cavan ladies in their ai intermediate final. Hopefully they bring back the title. Think tg4 are showing it live.

drici

Right, learn all these names for Sunday at 2-00pm.

mylestheslasher

Drici I think you are a closet Cavan fan.

Westside

Surprised that Grainne Smith didn't get starting given her fantastic performance when she came on against Leitrim. Her accurate passing really made a difference that day. Dana Clerkin is a great sub to come on and Cavan's bench as a whole is very strong.
Roisin O'Keefe really needs to make her chances count, constantly gets herself in fantastic positions and then fluffs her chances but if she's on form she can be a real match winner. She'll be keen to prove herself after a poor Semi.
Bronagh Sheridan is a very strong player for this level and will thrive in the open spaces of Croker.
Aisling Doonan is just a fantastic player, I've watched her play since U-14 and she really is a special talent and a wonderful leader.

I know nothing of Westmeath but they beat Cavan earlier in the group stages I believe so are obviously no slouches. Best of luck to Adrian and the girls. Hopefully there'll be a decent crowd there, the most of West Cavan is going from what I hear.

boojangles

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 21, 2011, 06:53:39 PM
Any thoughts on what players should be involved with the county panel for next season? They are suppose to be announcing a training panel by the end of this month.. I saw Enda Gaffney twice this year and he could be worth a look he might not have the interest though, David Finnegan has had a good year with ballinagh his last game against the gaels wasn't of his best but he was very good till then as was Niall Reilly, Oisin and Enda o Connell have been excellent all year with castlerahan but like gaffney they might not have the interest.. They opted out of the u21s this year after a few games in the hastings cup. Mark Lynch from crosserlough has had a solid year aswell.

Them 2 O Connells are talented boys.
David Finnegan I believe needs an operation.
Other lads who have stood out for me:

Conor Smith (Cuchulainns) Not an original choice but bags of talent if handled right.
Adrian Taite (Cuchulainns)
Barry Mc Kiernan (Crosserlough)
Colin Lynch (Crosserlough) Amazed he hasn't been called in before. IMO one of the toughest defenders around. Does his job with minimum fuss.
Gearoid Collins( Cavan Gaels) Took a break from football, travelling and all that and had a bad time with injuries but a super competitor and athlete and he seems to be back in form. Eamon Coleman had him on the Senior panel in 2005.
Enda Mc Hugh( Shannon Gaels) Don't think he is interested but a fine footballer. Slightly lazy but a fine fielder of the ball and very strong. Plays midfield usually but can play inside also.

Above all, whoever Val and Co. pick, the number one requirement should be committed TEAM players. We will win nothing with individuals as Dublin showed on Sunday. If lads aren't willing to do everything that is asked of them then get rid of them. The management should know who is worth holding onto by Xmas. Not like last year where lads turned up to trainings around Xmas half cut and a blind eye turned to it. Some didn't even turn up and they weren't dropped. Zero tolerance from Day One hopefully.
But I'm sure Val doesn't need to be told that........

Best of Luck to the Ladies on Sunday.

tommysmith

Quote from: boojangles on September 23, 2011, 10:20:15 PM

Above all, whoever Val and Co. pick, the number one requirement should be committed TEAM players. We will win nothing with individuals as Dublin showed on Sunday. If lads aren't willing to do everything that is asked of them then get rid of them. The management should know who is worth holding onto by Xmas. Not like last year where lads turned up to trainings around Xmas half cut and a blind eye turned to it. Some didn't even turn up and they weren't dropped. Zero tolerance from Day One hopefully.
But I'm sure Val doesn't need to be told that........

Best of Luck to the Ladies on Sunday.

Sadly, I dont believe it will be any different than any other year but Morrison wont take that so expect lots of players dropped and walk outs.

BigMac

Does anyone know why 3 of the Cavan ladies play for Leitrim clubs? If they are from Leitrim and play club football there, shouldn't they have to play for Leitrim? Maybe they are from Cavan but there are no clubs beside them or something? Can anybody shed some light?

Westside

Bigmac as far as I know players like McGlade, from Arva, live in Cavan but play for Leitrim clubs because they are on the border and they have some ties with the Leitrim Club (strong family connections to Aughawillan in this case). But they are all living in Cavan.

Celt_Man

There is no Ladies senior team in Arva this year so they all moved to separate clubs.  Think Donna ENglish is playing with Killeshandra, Grainne McGlade with Aughawillan and a good few others with Gowna
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Denn Forever

Quote from: BigMac on September 23, 2011, 11:39:56 PM
Does anyone know why 3 of the Cavan ladies play for Leitrim clubs? If they are from Leitrim and play club football there, shouldn't they have to play for Leitrim? Maybe they are from Cavan but there are no clubs beside them or something? Can anybody shed some light?

as people have said they are from Cavan.  Just think of Gareth Smith.

best of luck to the Cavan Team tomorrow and the 2 Cavan girls on the New York team.  And go Monaghan.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Great comeback by the ladies today. Some of the point kicking by doonan were magnificent. The one she got from the sideline was like something ciaran McDonald would have done. I reckon they will win the replay

Westside

The girls did well to come back in the end but will kick themselves for letting Westmeath back into the game. Grainne Smith should have been the first Sub to appear. I thought Grainne McGlade played very well at fullback.
Aisling Doonan, well you run out of superlatives. The sideline showed just how skillful she is and to get the ball in the final minute, a point down, turn her player inside out, draw the foul and kick a tricky free to level it up.. Real nerve.

We'll have a good chance in the replay but will have to try not to leave so much space in our own half. Westmeath are defensive, we'll have to draw out their deep lying half forwards. 

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on September 25, 2011, 08:02:54 PM
The girls did well to come back in the end but will kick themselves for letting Westmeath back into the game. Grainne Smith should have been the first Sub to appear. I thought Grainne McGlade played very well at fullback.
Aisling Doonan, well you run out of superlatives. The sideline showed just how skillful she is and to get the ball in the final minute, a point down, turn her player inside out, draw the foul and kick a tricky free to level it up.. Real nerve.

We'll have a good chance in the replay but will have to try not to leave so much space in our own half. Westmeath are defensive, we'll have to draw out their deep lying half forwards.

Indeed, she has more shooting skill than many of our senior mens team. Great work ethic about the team too but they seemed to struggle in the half backs with the pace of 1 or 2 of the Westmeath players, especially their No 10 and No 15.