Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavan19

A couple of lads gone from the panel didn't pass some of the tests.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Cavan19 on April 23, 2021, 11:21:53 AM
Any idea who? To be expected anyway at this stage as a very big turnout start of the week at training and players found it too disjointed. Probably just the lads new to it who need to go away and do their own work to get to level required now they've had their eyes opened. You'd hope the lads that have been involved before and those with serious claims would have been looking after themselves this past while and keeping up with their programmes.

Cavan19

Quote from: Look-Up! on April 23, 2021, 11:38:04 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on April 23, 2021, 11:21:53 AM
Any idea who? To be expected anyway at this stage as a very big turnout start of the week at training and players found it too disjointed. Probably just the lads new to it who need to go away and do their own work to get to level required now they've had their eyes opened. You'd hope the lads that have been involved before and those with serious claims would have been looking after themselves this past while and keeping up with their programmes.

I just heard buchanan but i think there was possibly four in total i will try find out more later.

Look-Up!

Any rumours on the club scene?

Heard plenty myself. Mackey back with Castlerahan maybe.

McVeety back too at some stage but to concentrate on club.

Itchy

Read that we bet Roscommon in a challenge in the Hyde yesterday, anyone know of any details?

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on May 09, 2021, 10:11:44 AM
Read that we bet Roscommon in a challenge in the Hyde yesterday, anyone know of any details?
Maybe I picked it up wrong but I heard we lost by 1. Supposedly scrappy game, both teams rusty with plenty of errors. No real surprises on selection front, going with tried and trusted. That's what I heard anyway but details were scant.

Itchy

Decent draws for the Minors and U20s, both with home games. My persona opinion is that these teams have been poorly organised on the field in the past number of years so I am hoping that this will have changed.

Seniors up on Saturday against Fermanagh, really need to get out of Div 3 at the first time of asking and beating Fermanagh away should be achievable, as long as there is no complacency. It will be interesting  to see who is on the match day panel, I have heard very little this year.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on May 12, 2021, 08:50:02 AM
Decent draws for the Minors and U20s, both with home games. My persona opinion is that these teams have been poorly organised on the field in the past number of years so I am hoping that this will have changed.

Seniors up on Saturday against Fermanagh, really need to get out of Div 3 at the first time of asking and beating Fermanagh away should be achievable, as long as there is no complacency. It will be interesting  to see who is on the match day panel, I have heard very little this year.

Yeah a decent draw. Minors have a tough draw to get to the final, but the U20s have a very decent draw and I see no reason why they shouldn't get to the final there and you never know after that. Hoping both teams have a good year and a good run.

Aye, can't be complacent. Should be winning this, but do have to go out and do it. Need to just get out of this Division. We always go well in Brewster so hopefully same here. Mickey is a championship manager, always said league is for preparing, so I'm sure we'll see a few new faces as he tries a few things.

mrdeeds

Strong line up full of attacking players.

Galligan
K Clarke
P Faulkner
J Mcloughlin
C Brady
O Kiernan
L Fortune
J Smith
K Brady
G Smith
G McKiernan
M Reilly
C Madden
P Lynch
T Galligan

Is see Argue is listed as a sub too.

Look-Up!

Sloppy performance. Looked toothless going forward and worrying how easily Fermanagh cut us open at times. Up against it now.

rodney trotter

Longford had a strong team lined out against Derry. Their fitness must have been really poor, but Derry like Fermanagh have probaly played a few challenge games. Conor Glass back from Australia is a big addition for Derry.

Look-Up!

Good result in the end but a laboured performance and result was up in the air for long periods. Defence again looked suspect at times and thought our forwards offered nothing when getting on inside ball. Not once did we take a man on, ball repeatedly came back out to be recycled. All very boring and predictable. We need a spark from somewhere, something along the lines of what Thomas Galligan gave us last year.

Derry seem to be flying, we'll have to up it big time to avoid a hammering. You never know, sometimes early league form can sway wildly depending on workload teams are taking on. You often see true form after the third game or so, so I'm hoping Cavan click for next week. But we do look very flat and worryingly all the parts of a Division 3 team. Doubt we'd even look out of place in Division 4, a far cry from the heady days of last November.

Championship less than 7 weeks away, we need a lot of improvement. Watched a bit of Monaghan Donegal yesterday. Lightyears ahead of us in terms of what they offer on the ball upfront. Attitude and pace of the Monaghan forwards is the very opposite of ours. Looked to turn Donegal defenders every chance they got. You might criticise some of the Donegal defending but Monaghan at least asked the questions of them. Not once did we even attempt to do similar to the Longford men.

Itchy

Any word on the 2 injuries to Smith and Holla.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Look-Up! on May 23, 2021, 01:40:58 PM
Good result in the end but a laboured performance and result was up in the air for long periods. Defence again looked suspect at times and thought our forwards offered nothing when getting on inside ball. Not once did we take a man on, ball repeatedly came back out to be recycled. All very boring and predictable. We need a spark from somewhere, something along the lines of what Thomas Galligan gave us last year.

Derry seem to be flying, we'll have to up it big time to avoid a hammering. You never know, sometimes early league form can sway wildly depending on workload teams are taking on. You often see true form after the third game or so, so I'm hoping Cavan click for next week. But we do look very flat and worryingly all the parts of a Division 3 team. Doubt we'd even look out of place in Division 4, a far cry from the heady days of last November.

Championship less than 7 weeks away, we need a lot of improvement. Watched a bit of Monaghan Donegal yesterday. Lightyears ahead of us in terms of what they offer on the ball upfront. Attitude and pace of the Monaghan forwards is the very opposite of ours. Looked to turn Donegal defenders every chance they got. You might criticise some of the Donegal defending but Monaghan at least asked the questions of them. Not once did we even attempt to do similar to the Longford men.

Agree it's very laboured. The Ulster final performance was excellent and hard to get to that standard again.
But there was laboured displays leading up to then, against Antrim, Down in first half.
The 2 League games after lockdown against Kildare and Roscommon weren't great performance.

Look-Up!

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 23, 2021, 08:12:05 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on May 23, 2021, 01:40:58 PM

Agree it's very laboured. The Ulster final performance was excellent and hard to get to that standard again.
But there was laboured displays leading up to then, against Antrim, Down in first half.
The 2 League games after lockdown against Kildare and Roscommon weren't great performance.

Agreed. Similar to last year in many ways. Thomas Galligan was a major catalyst when introduced in those games and seemed to light a fire under the team. Seem stuck in a rut again, everyone seems to be waiting for someone else to get us going, no one taking the bull by the horns.