Laochra Gael - Stevie McDonnell

Started by Il Bomber Destro, March 20, 2016, 04:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Starting shortly on TG4.

One of the true greats, hoping to see lots of replays of Gormley's block.

rrhf

Super programme about one of the greats of the game.  What a player!  Joe Kernan was a class guy too. 

INDIANA

Enjoyed that. Brilliant player and a great era for Gaelic Football.

Il Bomber Destro

The most unmarkable player the game has seen in the past 20 years I would say. He had it all, strong as an ox, superb in the air, great ball winner and could kick superbly off both feet with the deadliest of eyes for goal.

I'd love to be able to watch those three Tyrone-Armagh games in 2005 in their entirety. They were amazing battles. They were so closely matched but Tyrone just had that extra bit of quality in their depth where they could bring lads off the bench who could change games. Armagh generally were lacking in that department.

tiempo

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 20, 2016, 05:53:24 PM
The most unmarkable player the game has seen in the past 20 years I would say. He had it all, strong as an ox, superb in the air, great ball winner and could kick superbly off both feet with the deadliest of eyes for goal.

I'd love to be able to watch those three Tyrone-Armagh games in 2005 in their entirety. They were amazing battles. They were so closely matched but Tyrone just had that extra bit of quality in their depth where they could bring lads off the bench who could change games. Armagh generally were lacking in that department.

Be-f**king-have lad, Shane Sweeney had him well marked and was scoring points off McDonnell for Tyrone ffs, sure he wudnt houl a candle to Stevie O'Neill nevermind Canavan.

Great player yes, unmarkable no.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: tiempo on March 20, 2016, 06:22:27 PM

Be-f**king-have lad, Shane Sweeney had him well marked and was scoring points off McDonnell for Tyrone ffs, sure he wudnt houl a candle to Stevie O'Neill nevermind Canavan.

Well that's bullshit as McDonnell nearly always performed against us, even in those tight niggly affairs where the big names really struggled to impact, you could feel the air of panic around when the ball would go in his general direction.

Canavan was the greatest I have seen without doubt but Stevie McDonnell is as close to him as I've seen. The great thing about McDonnell was he could win any sort of ball, if it was put in the long and high he would win it as he had a great pair of hands and anticipation. If it was put in at his chest he could win it as he was so physically strong, he could hold his marker off. In on the ground he could win it as he also had pace and was quite agile, able to spin and kick off either foot. He was such a complete player that he must have been an enduring nightmare to mark, to physically strong to get into a tussle with, too deadly to stand off and give him a bit of space, too much of danger on the high ball to play in front of.

I loved Stephen O'Neill, one of the greatest we've had but I would have McDonnell over him every single day of the week.

An Watcher

I nearly choked on my tea reading that last comment. O'Donnell was undoubtedly a great player and seems like a real gentleman too. Caused Tyrone alot of problems in his day but seriously ahead of O'Neill. I don't think so

haveaharp

Enda McNulty kept Canavan scoreless from play in most encounters he had with him. Does that make him a poor player?

Throw ball

Il Bomber should know better. Tyrone have the greatest players in every position in every era. No one can touch them. The only question is who was the best Iggy Jones, Frank McGuigan or Peter Canavan.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: An Watcher on March 20, 2016, 08:04:24 PM
I nearly choked on my tea reading that last comment. O'Donnell was undoubtedly a great player and seems like a real gentleman too. Caused Tyrone alot of problems in his day but seriously ahead of O'Neill. I don't think so

Yes. I would have Stevie McDonnell over any forward to play in the last 20 years with the exception of Canavan and probably Mickey Linden (Linden's prime was before then though).

I would say the 02 - 08 period was as good a period of football in terms of depth of quality teams as we've had in a long time. Armagh won one All Ireland in that period and were unlucky not to add another, they did so by being one dimensional and entirely predictable. They sent early direct ball into McDonnell and Clarke all day long and yet as predictable as they were, teams just found McDonnell (and Clarke to a lesser degree) extremely hard to stop.

O'Neill played in a team who had other top class players there to take the strain and weight off him and while I do take on board Armagh had some other top class players, Tyrone had a much more varied approach to the game and could afford to leave O'Neill on the bench for some big games. McDonnell was a guy who was the focal point for that Armagh team, everyone knew they were going to hit him all game long, they did and very few were able to curtail him.

That's no slant of O'Neill, it's how good McDonnell was.

tiempo

Quote from: haveaharp on March 20, 2016, 08:14:21 PM

Enda McNulty kept Canavan scoreless from play in most encounters he had with him. Does that make him a poor player?

Who said Canavan was unmarkable? There was men in Carrickmore that could handle him in the 90s nevermind noughties.

Now Shane Sweeney, he was unmarkable.

Look forward to watching the Stevie McD episode though, he was a great and a legend.

Armamike

Great to see Stevie getting an airing on this show.  We were blessed to have him. Wonderful player.
That's just, like your opinion man.

From the Bunker

No disrespect on O'Neill (who was dogged with injury from to many long seasons with Minor and Under 21 before he ever played senior). But would rather Stevie Mac.

illdecide

Okay settle this now...A full forward line on McDonnell, S O'Neill and God himself (Peter)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bannside

Agree totally. Too little margin between two greats. O Neill, Mc Donnell both top drawer marquee forwards.