Who's your GAA cult hero?

Started by From the Bunker, March 21, 2020, 05:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

GetOverTheBar

BennyCake

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Seaney on December 09, 2020, 08:40:18 AM
Houlie rattling the onion bag especially his 93 run when we played 6 and got to and Ulster Semi and Derry played 5 and won Sam!

Marked him on my championship debut In '94. I was a scrawny 18 year old and he made a dummy out of me and I got the curly finger at half time. Didn't forget it and melted him a few months later in the league .... didn't make any difference to the game but I got great satisfaction out of it! 

Fran McMahon and Brian Mullins....loved my hallions round the middle!

BennyCake

Geoffrey McGonigle and Brian McGilligan were some boyos.

Definitely worth a mention.

seafoid

Sylvie Linnane. The way they talk about him in Tipperary. That's not easily achieved.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 10, 2020, 12:15:04 PM
Houlie rattling the onion bag especially his 93 run when we played 6 and got to and Ulster Semi and Derry played 5 and won Sam!

Marked him on my championship debut In '94. I was a scrawny 18 year old and he made a dummy out of me and I got the curly finger at half time. Didn't forget it and melted him a few months later in the league .... didn't make any difference to the game but I got great satisfaction out of it! 

Let Fran in Chicago many years ago. He would be friend it with my cousin Kieran McNally over there. Nice guy

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 10, 2020, 05:43:56 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 10, 2020, 12:15:04 PM

Let Fran in Chicago many years ago. He would be friend it with my cousin Kieran McNally over there. Nice guy

McNally that played with him for Armagh?  I remember watching the likes of those 2, Peter Raff, Stevenson, Joey Donnelly, Noel Marley et al back in the mid 80's. I have to say maybe it's the eyes of a boy but they always seemed more like 'men' then county players now. A bit more hewn round the edges, harder in a 'life' harder kinda way. The strength of men who worked as opposed to lifted weights. As I said maybe it's the eyes of a child but the seemed 'bigger'.

BennyCake

Yes I would agree with that bcb1. Those men from the 70's, 80's and early 90's, that you watch growing up, they'd be maybe a decade or more younger than i am now! Most of the players now most seem like teenagers (a lot are). And I don't think it's just a case of me getting older either.

Same with the soccer too. Followed United, and players like Mark Hughes, Bruce, Schmeichel, Cantona, Robson. They just seemed so much older and mature than players today.

imtommygunn

If you watch games back the boys from those eras had legs like tree trunks. You don't see that any more (except for Quigley from Fermanagh lol).

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 11, 2020, 12:06:14 PM
If you watch games back the boys from those eras had legs like tree trunks. You don't see that any more (except for Quigley from Fermanagh lol).

What?

The legs of GAA players today are absolutely massive in comparison of those in bygone eras.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

APM

Was scrolling through some old posts and came across this thread. 

Somehow Johnny Pilkington came into my head and his fondness for 3 or 4 pints the night before a big game. 

Newbridge Exile

fearbrags

Dreadnought

At home in Cavan, has to be Larry Reilly and Damien O'Reilly. Outside of there, Geoffrey McGonagle and Sambo McNaughton