Cillian O'Connor wins Golden Boot Race

Started by Angus, September 24, 2015, 08:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

In that above, O'Connor has actually the weakest number in terms of expected points from frees..

The last table reflects what are considered the gimme points, close in or in front of the posts, the more difficult ones (from the sideline or circa 40 yards out) and then the really difficult ones which are from the 45 yard line and further out.

What is obvious is that Mayo are able to generate more scorable frees than any other county hence why O'Connor scores so heavily.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Mike Tyson

Quote from: Angelo on December 16, 2020, 01:42:40 PM
In that above, O'Connor has actually the weakest number in terms of expected points from frees..

The last table reflects what are considered the gimme points, close in or in front of the posts, the more difficult ones (from the sideline or circa 40 yards out) and then the really difficult ones which are from the 45 yard line and further out.

What is obvious is that Mayo are able to generate more scorable frees than any other county hence why O'Connor scores so heavily.

I'm sure it was an innocent slip Angelo but you forgot to mention the above tables only from 2017 onwards. From 2013-2016 O'Connor ranked No1 on total points vs expected at +7.4, and during this period the author noted:

"The argument can be made that the more attempts you have the easier it is to build up an Exp Pts tally – that of course ignores that the opposite is also true. The more attempts you have the greater the opportunity to regress to the mean.

That O'Connor has maintained such standards across multiple Championships is a remarkable feat. Even more so when you consider that the methodology does not account for the majority of his attempts occurring in high pressure games (Provincial finals, All Ireland semi-finals & finals) whilst also being a load bearing totem. He has taken 76% of Mayo's deadball attempts switching from the left to the right as well as taking high pressure penalties and the majority of Mayo's 45s.

O'Connor's consistency is beyond reproach and it is this, alloyed to his proven accuracy, that surely gives him the title of "the best free taker".
"

Angelo

Quote from: Mike Tyson on December 16, 2020, 02:48:03 PM

I'm sure it was an innocent slip Angelo but you forgot to mention the above tables only from 2017 onwards. From 2013-2016 O'Connor ranked No1 on total points vs expected at +7.4, and during this period the author noted:

"The argument can be made that the more attempts you have the easier it is to build up an Exp Pts tally – that of course ignores that the opposite is also true. The more attempts you have the greater the opportunity to regress to the mean.

That O'Connor has maintained such standards across multiple Championships is a remarkable feat. Even more so when you consider that the methodology does not account for the majority of his attempts occurring in high pressure games (Provincial finals, All Ireland semi-finals & finals) whilst also being a load bearing totem. He has taken 76% of Mayo's deadball attempts switching from the left to the right as well as taking high pressure penalties and the majority of Mayo's 45s.

O'Connor's consistency is beyond reproach and it is this, alloyed to his proven accuracy, that surely gives him the title of "the best free taker".
"

If you look back at my reply to Taylor.

He contended my assessment that O'Connor's free taking ability has fallen off badly in the past 4/5 years.

Here's what I said:

It's also notable how much his free taking has deteriorated in the past 4/5 seasons. In his early years, his conversion rates from 45s and far out frees was very impressive - now it's just bang average.

Taylor contended that bit and I've provided some data that supports what I said.

Mike Tyson

Apologies, I had assumed you were talking in general.

Taylor

Quote from: Angelo on December 16, 2020, 03:01:23 PM
Quote from: Mike Tyson on December 16, 2020, 02:48:03 PM

"

If you look back at my reply to Taylor.

He contended my assessment that O'Connor's free taking ability has fallen off badly in the past 4/5 years.

Here's what I said:

It's also notable how much his free taking has deteriorated in the past 4/5 seasons. In his early years, his conversion rates from 45s and far out frees was very impressive - now it's just bang average.

Taylor contended that bit and I've provided some data that supports what I said.

Fair play - you have provided factual stats which back up what you were saying (for the last 3 years anyway).

Now let that be a lesson in telling the truth  ;)

larryin89

So anyway is this cillian buckeeen any use , ya know the lad who has scored more than anyone in the history of the game .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Angelo

Quote from: larryin89 on December 16, 2020, 06:12:24 PM
So anyway is this cillian buckeeen any use , ya know the lad who has scored more than anyone in the history of the game .

Profits from the good work of others.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Angelo on December 16, 2020, 06:25:27 PM

Tell me any forward who doesn't?

larryin89

Do you know his stats from his own turnovers this season alone ?

Angelo

Quote from: larryin89 on December 16, 2020, 07:10:52 PM

No.

But I do know he gets with persistent fouling consistently.

Angelo

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 16, 2020, 06:46:11 PM

Tell me any forward who doesn't?

Conor McManus, Michael Murphy, David Clifford, Shane Walsh, Cathal McShane, Con O'Callaghan, Conor Sweeney, Jamie Clarke etc

They are all forwards who can live on scraps if needs be. I think Conroy will be an elite level forward for Mayo.

larryin89

Quote from: Angelo on December 16, 2020, 07:19:55 PM

No.

Ummm I'm starting to see a trend here , selective statistics and an obvious dislike for this Cillian lad .

Anyway up till the semi final cillian a corner forward remember was top of the table in turnovers , nine in total , I kid you not nine turnovers as a CF.

But you just keep beating that drum of yours.  Honestly dont really care at this stage , it becomes more obvious as you mature in life ,you see things for what they really are and detect the motive behind it

whitey

All those statistics are nonsense

Dean Rock would have to be competing against Dublins defense for it to be apples to apples

Angelo

Quote from: larryin89 on December 16, 2020, 07:32:04 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 16, 2020, 07:19:55 PM

No.

Ummm I'm starting to see a trend here , selective statistics and an obvious dislike for this Cillian lad .

Anyway up till the semi final cillian a corner forward remember was top of the table in turnovers , nine in total , I kid you not nine turnovers as a CF.

But you just keep beating that drum of yours.  Honestly dont really care at this stage , it becomes more obvious as you mature in life ,you see things for what they really are and detect the motive behind it

Not it's the truth.

Mayo foul from the front and have done consistently which O'Connor is a repeat offender from. It's part of the Horan/Buckley tactic and they get away with it, referees simply do not punish forwards who persistently foul defenders coming out with the ball. It slows teams down and allows Mayo to regroup, they are very, very effective in getting away with it and have been doing it for years.

Ronan McCarthy called it out in 2014.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-20277145.html

Angelo

Quote from: whitey on December 16, 2020, 10:00:04 PM
All those statistics are nonsense

Dean Rock would have to be competing against Dublins defense for it to be apples to apples

Rock is a better free taker.

Seems to be a bit classier from play too and a better ball winner.

Dublin play a much more patient and measured game where they retain possession until such time as they have a simple score.

Mayo play a style of frenetic gung ho play where they go at full pelt from all angles.