Cillian O'Connor wins Golden Boot Race

Started by Angus, September 24, 2015, 08:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 15, 2020, 08:05:31 PM
Always remember him tapping over the free in the 2013 final with the last kick of the game, when they needed a goal.  That was shocking.

He spoke with McQuillan who answered or jestured something to him. He taps it over. McQuillan blows and the Mayo players run to McQuillan for an explanation. They obviously had some indication there would be another play with only 1 score in it. If that was the case, going for goal from 20m out with so many Dublin's on the line would have been shocking surely.

Armagh18

Quote from: BennyCake on December 15, 2020, 08:17:03 PM
Always remember him tapping over the free in the 2013 final with the last kick of the game, when they needed a goal.  That was shocking.

Yeah that was unbelievable. AFAIK the allocated injury time was already played. Absolutely baffling decision
He 100% spoke to the ref beforehand

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on December 15, 2020, 08:17:03 PM

Yeah that was unbelievable. AFAIK the allocated injury time was already played. Absolutely baffling decision

Yeah was right beside that in the Nally Stand! No matter what McQuillan said to him, you always go for goal with so little time left. Losing by 1 or 2 or 20 is still losing! Hit it hard and low, you never know where a deflection might take it or if one of your own get it and have a chance closer to goal!

Was totally disgusted at the point option!

Tubberman

Quote from: JoG2 on December 15, 2020, 09:15:05 PM

He spoke with McQuillan who answered or jestured something to him. He taps it over. McQuillan blows and the Mayo players run to McQuillan for an explanation. They obviously had some indication there would be another play with only 1 score in it. If that was the case, going for goal from 20m out with so many Dublin's on the line would have been shocking surely.

Apparently McQuillan said there was 30 secs left.  Cillian understandably understood that to mean 30 secs left from when the ball was kicked out.
But McQuillan seemed to be counting the time it took Cillian to put it over, so time was up when the ball was kicked out.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

BennyCake

Yes 54 men on the line, but Mayo were never going to get another chance. Dublin would have held the ball or did what they needed to to prevent another attack.

Go for the goal. No regrets. Tap it over, plenty of them.

JoG2

Quote from: Tubberman on December 15, 2020, 09:57:09 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on December 15, 2020, 09:15:05 PM

Apparently McQuillan said there was 30 secs left.  Cillian understandably understood that to mean 30 secs left from when the ball was kicked out.
But McQuillan seemed to be counting the time it took Cillian to put it over, so time was up when the ball was kicked out.

The finest of margins. I know he said if he knew it was the final kick, he'd have given it the leather

Angelo

Ok so I have now completed a full breakdown of the frees Mayo have had in their Championship meetings with Dublin since 2012.

3x 45
Overcarrying by Dublin defender
Conroy x2

Ball touched on ground
Freeman
Moran x2
Varley x2
AOS
Boyle

2015 drawn game:

AOS x3
DOC X2
Keegan
COC (Wahey)
Parsons
1x45

Boyle won the penalty.

2015 replay
AOS x2
Parsons
Moran
Barrett

2016 draw
AOS x2
Lee Keegan
Ball touched on ground
Moran

2016 replay
Andy Moran
Boyle
SOS
DOC x3
AOS
Barry Moran x2

Doherty x2
DOC
Keegan

COC
Boyle

So he has won the frees for 0-02 of the 1-49 he has scored from frees. It's also notable how much his free taking has deteriorated in the past 4/5 seasons. In his early years, his conversion rates from 45s and far out frees was very impressive - now it's just bang average. The vast, vast majority of his frees are ones you expect half decent free takers to be converting regularly.

In terms of who wins the frees for Mayo:

AOS 0-09
DOC 0-06
Boyle 1-03
A Moran 0-05
Keegan 0-03

I'd say AOS is the only player who has played as many minutes in those games against Dublin as COC has.

For me I don't think O'Connor is a bad player but he's not an elite level forward, you'd be looking for COC to be topping the chart for scorable frees won and scores from play if he was your elite level inside forward but he's comprehensively beaten in both of these metrics and beaten by guys in the half back line or fellas who would have played half the amount of football he did.

The Don't Foul guy had a graph up of his conversion of his frees over his Championship careers and there is a huge amount of them tapover frees. It's down to the game Mayo play - the hard running from their midfield, half back and half forward line which has been absolutely key to their success. O'Connor grabs a lot of the limelight due to looking at the paper and online reports and seeing him scoring 0-08 or 1-07. But it's actually guys like Boyle, Keegan, Durcan, Higgins, Parsons, DOC and so on and so forth who were/are the real elite level players in that Mayo team.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Taylor

Quote from: Angelo on December 16, 2020, 10:30:40 AM
Ok so I have now completed a full breakdown of the frees Mayo have had in their Championship meetings with Dublin since 2012.

3x 45
Conroy x2

Ball touched on ground
Freeman
Moran x2
Varley x2
AOS
Boyle

2015 drawn game:

AOS x3
DOC X2
Keegan
COC (Wahey)
Parsons
1x45

Boyle won the penalty.

2015 replay
AOS x2
Parsons
Moran
Barrett

2016 draw
AOS x2
Lee Keegan
Ball touched on ground
Moran

2016 replay
Andy Moran
Boyle
SOS
DOC x3
AOS
Barry Moran x2

Doherty x2
DOC
Keegan

COC
Boyle

So he has won the frees for 0-02 of the 1-49 he has scored from frees. It's also notable how much his free taking has deteriorated in the past 4/5 seasons. In his early years, his conversion rates from 45s and far out frees was very impressive - now it's just bang average. The vast, vast majority of his frees are ones you expect half decent free takers to be converting regularly.

AOS 0-09
DOC 0-06
Boyle 1-03
A Moran 0-05
Keegan 0-03

I'd say AOS is the only player who has played as many minutes in those games against Dublin as COC has.

For me I don't think O'Connor is a bad player but he's not an elite level forward, you'd be looking for COC to be topping the chart for scorable frees won and scores from play if he was your elite level inside forward but he's comprehensively beaten in both of these metrics and beaten by guys in the half back line or fellas who would have played half the amount of football he did.

The Don't Foul guy had a graph up of his conversion of his frees over his Championship careers and there is a huge amount of them tapover frees. It's down to the game Mayo play - the hard running from their midfield, half back and half forward line which has been absolutely key to their success. O'Connor grabs a lot of the limelight due to looking at the paper and online reports and seeing him scoring 0-08 or 1-07. But it's actually guys like Boyle, Keegan, Durcan, Higgins, Parsons, DOC and so on and so forth who were/are the real elite level players in that Mayo team.

Any stats/evidence on that point in bold?

Or is it just another lie like the other one peddled that COC didnt win any of the frees he scored?

nrico2006

Quote from: Taylor on December 16, 2020, 12:52:11 PM

3x 45
Conroy x2

Ball touched on ground
Freeman
Moran x2
Varley x2
AOS
Boyle

2015 drawn game:

AOS x3
DOC X2
Keegan
COC (Wahey)
Parsons
1x45

Boyle won the penalty.

2015 replay
AOS x2
Parsons
Moran
Barrett

2016 draw
AOS x2
Lee Keegan
Ball touched on ground
Moran

2016 replay
Andy Moran
Boyle
SOS
DOC x3
AOS
Barry Moran x2

Doherty x2
DOC
Keegan

COC
Boyle

AOS 0-09
DOC 0-06
Boyle 1-03
A Moran 0-05
Keegan 0-03

Or is it just another lie like the other one peddled that COC didnt win any of the frees he scored?

I don't know if what he said was a lie as such, maybe slightly inaccurate.  On the whole, he really isn't scoring frees he won.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Taylor

I would disagree.

He made the comment - I clarified the question and he double downed - I challenged him to prove it - he refused and asked me to provide evidence.

Which I did.

He lied to try to prove a point.

So you will forgive me for trying to gain clarity on the comments he makes to try to prove another point

Angelo

Quote from: Taylor on December 16, 2020, 01:00:17 PM
I would disagree.

He made the comment - I clarified the question and he double downed - I challenged him to prove it - he refused and asked me to provide evidence.

Which I did.

So you will forgive me for trying to gain clarity on the comments he makes to try to prove another point

My point is proven.

He doesn't win scoring frees, he profits from the work of others.

Taylor

Quote from: Angelo on December 16, 2020, 01:19:43 PM
I would disagree.

Which I did.

My point is proven.

He doesn't win scoring frees, he profits from the work of others.

You said he doesnt win ANY of the frees he takes.

That is clearly incorrect and a lie.

Keep digging kid.

Did you get them stats on his conversion deteriorating from frees yet?
If not, kindly remove another statement that isnt factual accurate

Angelo

I would disagree.

Of course you would, don't let the facts bother you though.

0-02 from 1-49 he won himself.

Angelo

Quote from: Taylor on December 16, 2020, 12:52:11 PM

3x 45
Conroy x2

Ball touched on ground
Freeman
Moran x2
Varley x2
AOS
Boyle

2015 drawn game:

AOS x3
DOC X2
Keegan
COC (Wahey)
Parsons
1x45

Boyle won the penalty.

2015 replay
AOS x2
Parsons
Moran
Barrett

2016 draw
AOS x2
Lee Keegan
Ball touched on ground
Moran

2016 replay
Andy Moran
Boyle
SOS
DOC x3
AOS
Barry Moran x2

Doherty x2
DOC
Keegan

COC
Boyle

AOS 0-09
DOC 0-06
Boyle 1-03
A Moran 0-05
Keegan 0-03

Plenty of stuff on Dontfoul which has been done on COC's range.

He doesn't seem to score half as many 45s anymore as he did in his early days. I'd say he's a good rung or two below Rock and Sean O'Shea at present.

https://dontfoul.wordpress.com/2020/06/15/free-taking-review/

reillycavan

O'Connor stats don't lie. One of the greatest forwards of all time. He has another 4/5 years left in him too.