Cillian O'Connor wins Golden Boot Race

Started by Angus, September 24, 2015, 08:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 30, 2019, 07:59:37 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 30, 2019, 07:39:59 PM
Did Cillian's two points yesterday make him the top scorer of all time in the championship?

No...still 9 points short.

Ah right, I thought he was only 1 off for some reason

An Watcher

Thought he looked like he's carrying a few pounds

BennyCake

Quote from: An Watcher on June 30, 2019, 09:10:58 PM
Thought he looked like he's carrying a few pounds

Were there no safe boxes in the Castlebar dressing rooms?

rosnarun

Quote from: redhandroar on October 02, 2015, 11:14:06 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 25, 2015, 11:40:07 AM
Would Quigley not lose his goal for barging Cluxton over the line too if that were the case ;-)

Actually this was officially given as an OG to Cluxton although some newpaper reports credited Quigley. If he had been given this one he would have ended up with 3-36 and won, hard to argue though given that he didn't actually touch the ball. In interviews after he said he wasn't sure what happened but he thinks Cluxton must have somehow stumbled - a response like that just adds to his likeability imo!
does the GAA officially award scores ? is there a similar committee to the dodgy goal committee in the English soccer. ot do peole just go off newspaper reports etc
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

SouthDublinBro

Do Mayo fans seriously consider this boy to be a marquee forward? He's not in the same league as lads like Murphy or McManus. Would be a great shame to see him become all time top scorer on the back of hundreds of gimme frees.

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

kerryforsam19

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 01, 2019, 03:34:59 PM
Do Mayo fans seriously consider this boy to be a marquee forward? He's not in the same league as lads like Murphy or McManus. Would be a great shame to see him become all time top scorer on the back of hundreds of gimme frees.

He there on merit

BennyCake

He's not fit to lace Murphy or McManus' boots.

whitey

I'd be interested to see how much he scored from play against Dublin versus the Goochs tally

thewobbler

Some very unfair criticism here. Think about what you're criticising; a metronomic exponent of the most enjoyable part of the game. Think about that.

Someone who routinely chips in with 5-10 points in every game he plays, at every level, regardless of opposition, simply has to be described as a top class player.

Of course it's more fun to watch Gooch leaving an opponent in a tizzy, or to watch McManus kick one over from the next post code, or to watch Murphy clearing out an entire defence with one leap. But the reality is that they were often doing this because they were in the wrong place, or made the wrong run.

There's an elegant simplicity to the way O'Connor (Dean Rock, and Oisin McConville too) plays the game that is clearly lost on some.

Tubberman

Also unfair because the lad never claimed to be better at every aspect of the game than Murphy or McManus or anyone else, yet that's being used as a stick to beat him.
Why isn't every half-back in the country getting threads created about them saying how they're not fit to lace Lee Keegan's boots?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

rosnarun

Quote from: whitey on July 01, 2019, 04:54:09 PM

I'd be interested to see how much he scored from play against Dublin versus the Goochs tally
Iwhy do people forget what Games are actually about that is the team that scores the most wins, And that's what cillian brings to mayo for years mayo had good team but no free taker and teams felt free to pull and drag them at no cost . Cillian is the the most effective forward in the country over the last 7 or 8 years and crucifies poor team whose  defenders 1st thought is to foul.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

larryin89

Quote from: Tubberman on July 01, 2019, 05:28:41 PM
Also unfair because the lad never claimed to be better at every aspect of the game than Murphy or McManus or anyone else, yet that's being used as a stick to beat him.
Why isn't every half-back in the country getting threads created about them saying how they're not fit to lace Lee Keegan's boots?

He's not liked , why I can never really fathom but there is certainly a general dislike for him from other counties . On the hill for a double header whatever year it was we played Tyrone in qf and dubs played donegal after (16 ?) and the abuse him and aido got from dubs fans and we not even playing them was so ott and venomous , I didn't think it existed till I actually heard myself
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Ah, get a life! He has his worth. He's never shirks responsibility! It might not always go his way but he has a go. It's hard to believe the lad is still only 27!

tonto1888

Quote from: rosnarun on July 01, 2019, 05:31:22 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 01, 2019, 04:54:09 PM

Iwhy do people forget what Games are actually about that is the team that scores the most wins, And that's what cillian brings to mayo for years mayo had good team but no free taker and teams felt free to pull and drag them at no cost . Cillian is the the most effective forward in the country over the last 7 or 8 years and crucifies poor team whose  defenders 1st thought is to foul.

I agree with most of this except being the most effective forward in the country over the last 7/8 years. Surely rock has been more so?