Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Sidney on August 08, 2015, 10:09:23 PM
Monaghan's biggest problem was that they couldn't defend Tyrone's kickouts. Every time Monaghan chipped away at the Tyrone lead in the second half Morgan would pick out a man and Tyrone would basically waltz through for a shooting oppurtunity, most of which they took.

Beggan's misses from frees in the first half ironically reminded me of Morgan against Donegal in 2013.

Tyrone are used to winning in Croke Park in championship football. Monaghan are not and really let the occasion get to them.

Tyrone put in an excellent performance and it's such a shame their gutter behaviour left such a sour taste in the mouth.

Monaghan are no angels but there's a clear divide here in terms of blame. That was the most cynical performance I've seen in championhip football for the sheer shamelessness of it. Ironically Meyler, who was largely innocent, was the Tyrone player to suffer most. Cavanagh and Donnelly should have gone for black cards.

Tyrone will put it up to Kerry for 50 minutes but Kerry will win by about 6.
Tyrone's kick outs today were an art form, an actual template, both the short and long. In comparison Monaghan's were one track.
That had a primary effect on the outcome of the game.
Monaghan's problem in the last 1/4 was that they allowed themselves to be dragged down in reacting to the cynicism instead of doing their all to claw the lead back, that was a serious indiscipline. It annoys the feck out of me to see players more concerned about reacting to provocation than trying to set up a scoring opportunity as soon as possible.
Tyrone are just zoned into this closing down the game by any crude means possible, it's up to the opposition not to react and/or not to be so far behind after 50 minutes of the game.

Scoring Zone

Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2015, 10:22:19 PM
Quote from: Scoring Zone on August 08, 2015, 10:17:35 PM
regarding the gurning about the "dark arts" - this is elite level, cut throat sport at its very best, I like to see this stuff as it shows that there is a want and passion to win, if u don't like it go watch 90% of the Munster, Connacht and Leinster provincial dross with wins averaging above 10 points which is pitiful, give me a it of dirt needle and aggression any day

There is dart arts then there is being a sc**bag. And a few Tyrone players were scumbags today with a few Monaghan lads not far behind

You can win without it. The day Tyrone realise that is the day their footballing philosophy will change.

overly sensitive reply but outside McCann and oneill which are embarrassingly gutless acts, what are the other instances you are referring to?

Rodman

Quote from: Jinxy on August 08, 2015, 09:19:05 PM
I actually think that effort by McCann was the worst dive I've ever seen.
In any sport.
The lad needs to be made an example of.

Was Michael Shields made an example of, No, so why should McCann.  Can't just single 1 man out.

Wildweasel74

McManus going by Cavanagh for a free nudges him and the 6ft 3in tyrone man goes down like he was downed by a sniper, but Sean hasnt done that before, even the ref was laughing at him.

Sidney

Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2015, 10:58:15 PM
Monaghan's biggest problem was that they couldn't defend Tyrone's kickouts. Every time Monaghan chipped away at the Tyrone lead in the second half Morgan would pick out a man and Tyrone would basically waltz through for a shooting oppurtunity, most of which they took.

Beggan's misses from frees in the first half ironically reminded me of Morgan against Donegal in 2013.

Tyrone are used to winning in Croke Park in championship football. Monaghan are not and really let the occasion get to them.

Tyrone put in an excellent performance and it's such a shame their gutter behaviour left such a sour taste in the mouth.

Monaghan are no angels but there's a clear divide here in terms of blame. That was the most cynical performance I've seen in championhip football for the sheer shamelessness of it. Ironically Meyler, who was largely innocent, was the Tyrone player to suffer most. Cavanagh and Donnelly should have gone for black cards.

Tyrone's kick outs today were an art form, an actual template, both the short and long. In comparison Monaghan's were one track.
Monaghan's problem in the last 1/4 was that they allowed themselves to be dragged down in reacting to the cynicism instead of doing their all to claw the lead back, that was a serious indiscipline. It annoys the feck out of me to see players more concerned about reacting to provocation than trying to set up a scoring opportunity as soon as possible.
Tyrone are just zoned into this closing down the game by any crude means possible, it's up to the opposition not to react and/or not to be so far behind after 50 minutes of the game.
Monaghan panicked from early on. They kept hitting aimless balls in towards McManus and Tyrone mopped it up. Either that or aimless shots on goal. I've been a big fan of Malachy O'Rourke as a coach up to now but Monaghan looked totally unprepared for falling behind. They just did not look like they had any plan.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2015, 10:58:15 PM

I agree with this and it showed a lot naivety from even experienced Monaghan players. Kerry, Dublin, Donegal and Mayo will all happily play handbags when they are 4 points up inside the last 10 mins. You can't score when you are getting cards.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 08, 2015, 11:02:38 PM
McManus going by Cavanagh for a free nudges him and the 6ft 3in tyrone man goes down like he was downed by a sniper, but Sean hasnt done that before, even the ref was laughing at him.

Marty wouldn't fall for any of that. That doesn't even need saying like.

Whishtup

Quote from: dublin7 on August 08, 2015, 10:47:47 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 08, 2015, 10:31:21 PM
Thought donnelly and mcaliskey  answered critics today.  Have a feeling that tyrone were tiring towards the end due to a few tough weeks, hence resorting to spoiling tactics towards the end. Why cavanagh had to put in that high tackle I don't know.  frustrating as we were well in control at this stage. Game swung after that incident. He doesn't need to do that.  Mccann dramatics embarrassing but not as criminal as the aggresshair who shouldn't have had his hands anywhere near someone's head in front of the ref.  Not worthy of a lynch-mob for Mccann, though, and a slow-mo on rte news.  Tyrone now have a great chance of a fourth all ireland.  People forget that none of the other teams left beat tyrone in the league and in fact tyrone were unlucky not to beat all.

You sir are absolutely right!! Shame on everyone criticising McCann for his Platoon death scene impression.  Its all the Monaghan players fault. I can only assume you are a WUM. How any normal sane individual could defend that w**ker's dive is frankly laughable.   Having said that today was standard practice for Tyrone. For them & Mickey Harte its all about the result, how they do it  clearly doesn't matter. Machiavelli would be proud!
jaysus that's a tad strong. Have you met mccann to form such an opinion?  in the grand scheme of things what he did was embarrassing and he should be reminded of that as we don't need that sort of crap in the game.  But where does it sit beside biting and gouging or dangerous frontal charges?  You seem to have tyrone characterised down to a t and God forbid anyone challenge that.  All the world's a stage, my friend...

Bingo

Massively disappointing not to preform today. Tone was set in first minute when Monaghan fumbled possession and had a few stray passes under little pressure. Thought they settled with two good scores after that but never really pushed on, as o'rourke said they lacked urgency and energy. Too many times in first half we found Duffy, Lennon, Kelly, macadam on the ball and in space, Tyrone seemed happy to let them have it as they aren't play makers or a threat. This freed up more defenders to close space and watch the danger men. Therefore when gollogy, o'connell and mcanespie tried to carry they got bottled up and turned over.

Tyrone the better team and are in great shape, seemed to open gaps an awful lot of the time and constantly turn the Monaghan defenders out of position. Too many Monaghan players below par. Was very surprised that he dropped Malone and Owen Duffy. Both did well in Ulster final and Malone has played a big role all year in linking defence and attacking and adding a bit of bite in the tackle, for a small guy he has physical presence and quick feet in tight spaces. Duffy can take a score and run at pace. Neither gollogy or mcanespie offer this.

Enough been said about the other carry on, which is beyond defendable. Finlay could have walked, K Hughes looked like he wanted to walk but didn't cross the line and I watched him rampaging round trying to muster a dig but at last minute each time pulled away from it. Wasn't pretty to see but it actually seemed to put life in Monaghan! Duffy is a terrible ref. and I'll make no apologies in saying that I hope Kerry beat Tyrone out the gate the next day.

stew

In all of the shite going what is getting lost is that Tyrone are capable of taking some sublime scores.

Thanks to a couple of Tyrone posters who actually have the balls to call it how it is I have renewed faith in the fact that not all Tyrone supporters are apologist arseholes.

I still hope however that Kerry put manners on the f**kers! I will pray fervently that the Gooch hands the hoors their arse at the end, Tyrone are the single most hateful team the GAA has ever seen.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ONeill

Quote from: Bingo on August 08, 2015, 11:09:52 PM
Massively disappointing not to preform today. Tone was set in first minute when Monaghan fumbled possession and had a few stray passes under little pressure. Thought they settled with two good scores after that but never really pushed on, as o'rourke said they lacked urgency and energy. Too many times in first half we found Duffy, Lennon, Kelly, macadam on the ball and in space, Tyrone seemed happy to let them have it as they aren't play makers or a threat. This freed up more defenders to close space and watch the danger men. Therefore when gollogy, o'connell and mcanespie tried to carry they got bottled up and turned over.

Tyrone the better team and are in great shape, seemed to open gaps an awful lot of the time and constantly turn the Monaghan defenders out of position. Too many Monaghan players below par. Was very surprised that he dropped Malone and Owen Duffy. Both did well in Ulster final and Malone has played a big role all year in linking defence and attacking and adding a bit of bite in the tackle, for a small guy he has physical presence and quick feet in tight spaces. Duffy can take a score and run at pace. Neither gollogy or mcanespie offer this.

Enough been said about the other carry on, which is beyond defendable. Finlay could have walked, K Hughes looked like he wanted to walk but didn't cross the line and I watched him rampaging round trying to muster a dig but at last minute each time pulled away from it. Wasn't pretty to see but it actually seemed to put life in Monaghan! Duffy is a terrible ref. and I'll make no apologies in saying that I hope Kerry beat Tyrone out the gate the next day.

Did ye notice how Monaghan retreated en masse when Tyrone won possession in their own 20. Not even a tackle. The likes of Colm Cav knew when he won the ball that he's going to be able to advance 15-20m unopposed even though he's within a firm shoulder from a couple of Monaghan men. Only when Clerkin came on and he was yelling at his men to put pressure on Tyrone (defending a 5 pt lead) that they made Tyrone work a bit in their own half.

McAliskey and McCurry harried your full backs.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Great footballer but a poor role model for the game.

stew

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 08, 2015, 11:22:13 PM
Great footballer but a poor role model for the game.

I cant abide the big f**ker but he is, when he wants to be, one of the all time greats!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Bingo

Quote from: ONeill on August 08, 2015, 11:20:23 PM
Quote from: Bingo on August 08, 2015, 11:09:52 PM

Did ye notice how Monaghan retreated en masse when Tyrone won possession in their own 20. Not even a tackle. The likes of Colm Cav knew when he won the ball that he's going to be able to advance 15-20m unopposed even though he's within a firm shoulder from a couple of Monaghan men. Only when Clerking came on and he was yelling at his men to put pressure on Tyrone (defending a 5 pt lead) that they made Tyrone work a bit in their own half.

McAliskey and McCurry harried your full backs.

Aye was very frustrating. It worked in Ulster final. Half push up on kick outs but when it was won, turn and retreat to defend the line. But Donegal where slow to carry ball. Tyrone really pressed at pace with ball, so Monaghan defence was all over the place, huge gaps in the pocket to take scores or force frees in the mood Duffy was in. Colm cav either carried at pace or was picked out on the forty from kick out unopposed to run at Monaghan. They then had willing runners to support him and Monaghan chased shadows. I'd say Tyrone got 3 or 4 scores within 10 seconds of a kick out, and normally after a Monaghan score.

Also thought Tyrone at times dropped off Monaghan kick out and in other spells they pressed high, like a basketball full court press. Be interesting to look back if this was for preset time period or after scores, they forced one bad kick from beggan from this and took a score and unsettled Monaghan at other times.

ONeill

Why was the ref not allowing quick kick outs at times and others he ignored?

Also, he was harsh on Monaghan in the second half twice for calling back play when Monaghan played a free quickly.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.