Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cogito

Has an assassination squad taken out all regular members of the Cavan GAA Board??

I hope your all out trying to get fit to impressive the new dynamic duo  ;D

cavan4sam

Not going to be out trying to impress the new management team myself but I will be down in Breffni on Saturday evening to watch both games, I suppose I will have to cheer on both the neighbouring teams.

Any predictions for the 3 winners at this stage?

Ill go for Gaels, Drumlane & Swad.

Denn Forever

All hail the Arva website. All the info you need at the touch of a button.
http://www.arvaghgfc.com/fixtures.html

Come on Mullahoran on Sunday.  Nobody thought Tipp would do it so maybe it is time for the underdog.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cavan4sam

I hope your right and Mullahoran do take them, they haven't fired at all this year yet so hopefully they go out, I think it would be good for Cavan football.

Terry Coyle

Ah lads no need for that - I thought the whole county was behind us!  :P

Actually C4sam, you say it would be better for Cavan football but this is a statement that I never really got. Take my Gaels bias out of it for a moment so firstly I am not on a rant about it being against us - its a common statement said about pretty much every successful team. It never did Armagh any harm when Crossmaglen were winning every year, nor do I think hurling in Ireland has deteriorated after Kilkenny winning 4 in a row. Just wonder your thoughts behind it! Was I the only one wanting Kilkenny to win last weekend? - 5 in a row never been done before so it would have been good to see history made. Probably just for neutral I suppose its better, but better for football in the county - I dont think so.

As for predictions - Gaels and Kingscourt to win in senior semi's. I reckon Drumlane will take the leaguers in the replay - they appear to be missing McKiernan a lot. Swad to win the junior out.

cavan4sam

My reason for saying it is for lads playing on other club teams, it gets very disheartening to see the same team win it year after year, so it might give every other team in the county a bit of hope if they see someone else win for a change.

I don't want to start a debate here because this has be played out several times before but when Cross were winning it they had several men on the county team, Hearty, Bellew, Kernan, McEntees, McConville and more on the panel, this year there were only 2 Gaels men, Johnston and Walsh.

put-it-up-again

I would be concerned that Clubs are happy to see the Gaels standards dropping. Which no offence they have Terry Coyle. They have been nowhere near as ruthless this year as they have been in the past.

What would be of more benefit is if all the other clubs were doing every they could to get up to the standard the Gaels have set over the last few years. Have they genuinely tried to do that? I don't think so.

Only then will Cavan football really benefit.

cavan4sam

Lads the standard of football is dropping as more and more lads are moving away to find work, we lost 4/5 championship starters in the last 12 months and Ive heard of 3 more that are heading away in the next 6 months. We are goin backwards anyway, I don't know about any other clubs. Actually I heard Crosserlough lost 30 lads in the last 2 years, don't know how accurate that was though...

put-it-up-again

You don't think lads are emigrating in other counties? Only yesterday I read Louth have lost 4 starters from their team this year..

Our club scene has been poor for years and I'm not buying into the emigration excuse and I think it is sad that team's are happy to see the Gaels slipping to closer to them rather than themselves climbing from mediocrity up to a decent standard.

Terry Coyle

Put it up no offence taken, actually quite the opposite. Totally agree with you - our lads standards have dropped, I just hope they can get back to where they were in the past. They have not played well in the championship to date so they better shake up or they will be out on Sunday, no doubt about it.

If, as PIU has said, other clubs tried to get standards up that would be better for football then. Now I know every club does that to some extent but its more beneficial to exceed the best team at any given sport than to hope to beat them.

Nevertheless, it is pretty tough for clubs this weather. If thats true about Crosserlough then fair dues to them for still being senior (for the time being anyway!)

put-it-up-again

Quote from: Terry Coyle on September 10, 2010, 04:18:54 PM
Put it up no offence taken, actually quite the opposite. Totally agree with you - our lads standards have dropped, I just hope they can get back to where they were in the past. They have not played well in the championship to date so they better shake up or they will be out on Sunday, no doubt about it.

If, as PIU has said, other clubs tried to get standards up that would be better for football then. Now I know every club does that to some extent but its more beneficial to exceed the best team at any given sport than to hope to beat them.

Nevertheless, it is pretty tough for clubs this weather. If thats true about Crosserlough then fair dues to them for still being senior (for the time being anyway!)

My own take on your temporary slip TC would be the loss of several of the younger players removed a lot of the competition for places and I imagine, naturally enough, that some of the older lads may have eased off the gas a little..

If 30 people emigrated from Crosserlough is there anyone left  ;D

cavan4sam

Look, ideally it would be best if other teams could improve and get up to the standard that the Gaels have set and then surpass them but I honestly cant see that happening.

I know other counties have a problem with emigration and consequently the standard of club football has dropped in my opinion from talking to lads I know from Meath, Monaghan, Louth and Longford.

Its good to see the likes of Ramor, Kingscourt and Bailieboro coming strong again and especially at underage levels.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I agree with Terry Coyle although I think most of  us are saying the same thing. If the Gaels' standards are slipping it's probably due to lads being away or complacency. This won't help the Gaels in Ulster and I don't think it will help the other clubs in Cavan either as they will know in their hearts the real reason they're getting closer to the gaels.
As with all our other problems, the problem needs to be sorted out at underage, which I think it might be.

cavan4sam

Are you lads really trying to tell me that if you had a Senior championship medal in your pocket that you would be sitting there looking into your pint saying 'this means f**k all because we only won it cause the gaels weren't as good'. I know i would celebrate and do it in style. At the end of the day you have to beat whats in front of you, and if you win the championship you are the best team in the county end of story. We wont be winning it anytime soon but it would be nice.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Of course I would but I reckon if that happened the Gaels would come back with a point to prove next year and it would all become apparent what had happened. But you're right, the other teams can only beat who they play.