Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Good to see Denn getting threw to the final they worked really hard in the second half but Killygarry should have been out of site at half time and only have themselves to blame.  Im afraid of what the Gaels will do to them in the final they destroyed Ramor last night and the game was over before half time.

boojangles

How do you beat the gaels?

I mitent be the best judge having never beaten the Gaels at Senior level but one thing I do remember that Mickey Graham used to say to us before we played Cavan Gaels in the League was to play football against them.That obviously sounds stupid but his point was that for years Gowna and Mullahoran have been trying to kick and box the Gaels and it has never worked,we have all seen the last few League or Championship finals where Gowna and Mullahoran have come out and tried to physically dominate the Gaels ,yet each year (bar 2006 where Mullahoran played them at their own game) who has brought home the cup?-Cavan Gaels. If you play a fast running game against them(just like they play) they arent as well suited to handle it.We played football that day and scored 15 points but we still lost by 6.Most of them of the boot of Jelly.If you can somehow stop that man you would go a long way to beating the Gaels but thats another matter altogether. Anyway Best of Luck Denn Forever.
PS Well done BH Man,you's deserve to be in the Final after all them years of trying.Remember to enjoy it,its a superb occasion but the only way to enjoy it,is to win it.

milltown row

let them play Naomh Gall  ;)  good team but all teams like ourselves have their moment, just like Cross, mayobridge. 

it all comes to a close

Denn Forever

Fortunately I don't think that we have players to compete with them physically, so we should (I know it and you know it) should try and play football against them.  Hopefully the management will hammer that point home.

What happened Ramor?  Don't know.  What was the feeling in the Ramor camp Hollowman?

CG seemed to be tuned in from the start.  Were first to the ball all over the pitch.  For the first goal you could see Forde starting his run from halfback while the play was the other side of the field. He wasn't tracked and had acres of space. Brilliant ball to find him and it almost had the look of a rehearsed move.

In order to have a chance, everyone (from No.2 to No.15) must be aware of where their man is and when CG have to ball, be tracking their man.  We will have to break the ball if we have no chance of catching.  And most importantly, don't let a CG man catch it cleanly.

If we could, play like Tyrone but we don't have the players.  If we do have a game plan that might work, I'd feel sorry for the paying public because it would be horrible to watch.  But if we won, I wouldn't give a flying............

Re last night, I didn't dream about how we could beat CG.  They were horrible dreams so in a way it could mean that we do have a game plan (see above) and we will win!
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cavan4sam

Boojangles, you obviously talk a lot of sense from your dealing with Mickey Graham in Drumalee and I think you are right, the best game to play against the gaels is to play good football. I know that when we beat the gaels it was by playin good open football and whenever we played them in the championship we never disgraced ourselves gettin bet by 4 points in semi 2 yrs ago. Its the only way forward when you dont have the big men to control the game physically and we certainly dont have them. They may beat you but at least it wont be a hammering. Seanie Johnston will need to be stopped though if Denn are to have any chance. Is it worth Denn wasting their best player to man mark him? Or would Denn be better off with Cahill at CHB?

cavan4ever

Sunday, 12th October 2008 @ 2pm
Hotel Kilmore Junior Championship Final
Drung v Mountnugent
Venue: Kingspan Breffni Park
Referee: Packie Smith
Linemen: Padraig Kelleher & Jim Hyland
04th Official: Brian Seagrave

Sunday, 12th October 2008 @ 4pm
Hotel Kilmore Intermediate Championship Final
Redhills v Ballyhaise
Referee: Brian Crowe
Linemen: Gerry Sheridan & Ollie Donohoe
04th Official: John Emmo

Sunday, 19th October 2008 @ 4pm
Hotel Kilmore Senior Championship Final
Denn v Cavan Gaels
Referee: M.G. Brady
Linemen: Donal Reilly & Joe McQuillan
04th Official: James Clarke

boojangles

Glad to see that somebody has a bit of common sense in the County and Niall Lynch has been giving the job of trainer with the County Seniors.His record with Virginia speaks for itself. The best up and coming coach in the County and its good to see its a Cavan man.I hear word also that Peter Reilly and Ciaran Brady of Gowna have been approached about being selectors.

tierworker blue

Quote from: boojangles on September 30, 2008, 06:31:45 PM
Glad to see that somebody has a bit of common sense in the County and Niall Lynch has been giving the job of trainer with the County Seniors.His record with Virginia speaks for itself. The best up and coming coach in the County and its good to see its a Cavan man.I hear word also that Peter Reilly and Ciaran Brady of Gowna have been approached about being selectors.

I like the sound of all that...they have the makings of a good backroom team.

milltown row

if seannie Johnstone is their main scoring threat then ya have two options, double team him like Armagh did, or cut off the supply to him, win midfield and stop low early ball into him, cover the space in front and force a high ball in, hes not the tallest of players. but if hes on the ball he'll score. is Lynng playing or injured, another outlet for them.

cavan4ever

Quote from: milltown row on September 30, 2008, 11:17:56 PM
if seannie Johnstone is their main scoring threat then ya have two options, double team him like Armagh did, or cut off the supply to him, win midfield and stop low early ball into him, cover the space in front and force a high ball in, hes not the tallest of players. but if hes on the ball he'll score. is Lynng playing or injured, another outlet for them.

If Johnston is double teamed the Gaels will have an extra man around the field and if they play their running game they will destroy Denn.  They were carrying the ball from the Full back line up the field against Ramor and getting scores.  Can't see any way that Denn will win this or even get close.

cavan4sam

Good to hear that Niall Lynch has been given the job as trainer of the Cavan team, I have worked with him a few times and have to say that when I worked him was the fittest I have ever been in my life, brilliant trainer and always thinking of new things. Like the sounds of those selectors also. Seems we could finally be getting the type of backroom team we all wanted, now it will be up to the players to prove they are good enough.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavan4sam on October 01, 2008, 09:23:27 AM
Good to hear that Niall Lynch has been given the job as trainer of the Cavan team, I have worked with him a few times and have to say that when I worked him was the fittest I have ever been in my life, brilliant trainer and always thinking of new things. Like the sounds of those selectors also. Seems we could finally be getting the type of backroom team we all wanted, now it will be up to the players to prove they are good enough.

I like the look of this set-up and its been a while since I have said that. Now it is up to the players to get the finger out and get us back to where we belong.

boojangles

This mite only be speculation yet lads.Niall Lynch is definetely on board but whether Ciaran Brady will leave Colmcille after winning the Longford Championship remains to be seen.I still think we mite need at least 2 more selectors who are tactically aware and not just YES men.

cavan4sam

Would Ciaran Brady have to leave Colmcille to work as a selector with th Cavan team though? I would imagine he would be able to do both??

Denn Forever

Quote from: cavan4ever on October 01, 2008, 08:00:15 AM
Quote from: milltown row on September 30, 2008, 11:17:56 PM

If Johnston is double teamed the Gaels will have an extra man around the field and if they play their running game they will destroy Denn.  They were carrying the ball from the Full back line up the field against Ramor and getting scores.  Can't see any way that Denn will win this or even get close.

I wouldn't advocate double teaming a la Armagh but would go for the Tyrone approach i.e. swarming the man in possession.  It may be too late for the team to learn this approch be here is hoping.  As was said CG coud play the ball from full back so if we are to do anything, all player from No. 2 to 15 will have to tackle, hastle and harry.

The key to the swarm policy is hastling without fouling.  Hard to do.  Looking at from outside the best teams can skate on the edge of fouling.

I hope that we can give them a game as they should have a competative match before the AI club championship.  It will be sad indictment of the quality of Cavan senior football if they don't give a good account of themselves in Ulster.  Has any Cavan team won the Ulster Club championship.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...