Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Hard to blame the lads for taking the chance to go spend a couple of months in America and earn a tidy sum in the process more than likely.

Feel bad for Tinnelly, robbed of the chance to Captain his county in an All Ireland Final for the sake of a few minutes of game time in a qualifier game that was over by the time he was introduced. Anyone any idea where the Junior Final would be? Hardly Croker?

Itchy

rodney trotter

Junior finals don't tend to be in Croke Park so unlikely to start this year

Not blaming Moynagh - westside, the chance was there and he went. There was 20 other odd lads on the Junior panel that could have went to the US, but goodluck to him. Hopefully the stories of him not being impressed at getting a run with the Seniors aren't true when he was only brought into the panel after the u21 campaign was over.
Other lads there longer and could have felt more frustrated.

Itchy

County Champions Ballinagh well bet today by Cucus. Surprised by that result.

rodney trotter

Ballinagh got it tough enough against Cuchullains last year in Virginia,Cuchullains have some good forwards and a big pitch like breffni would have suited their forwards , 3 forwards on the Co Minor panel this year - adam reilly got 1-5 from play.

Itchy

Hopefully the juniors can win today. The season might seem like a bit of a failure but if we were to win the All Ireland Junior Final, the Ulster U21 final running eventual easy winners so close and even the Gerry Reilly title then it would still represent overall progress for the county.

Itchy

Great result today beating kerry by 6, Hayes hit 2-2. Hopefully a stepping stone for these lads to better things.

rodney trotter

It was a good season overall, Ulster U21, Promotion from Div 3 and Leinster Junior and All Ireland. as well as the u16 Gerry Reilly Cup.

Westside

Go on the lads!!! Great stuff. Hayes is a gem. Heard Ryan Connolly was called into the panel for the final.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on August 23, 2014, 05:53:55 PM
Go on the lads!!! Great stuff. Hayes is a gem. Heard Ryan Connolly was called into the panel for the final.

I was following the game on twitter, I don't think Connolly came on but still good to involve him. I believe Hayes goal was a piece of magic, surely he will be a big player for the seniors some day. If he is anything like the brother, attitude and desire will not be a problem for him and he surely has the skill level.

I know we were all disappointed after the championship and the eejits on Hoganstand are no doubt still calling for Hyland to be replaced by Martin McHugh or whoever but the fact is that this year we made another step in the right direction.

As Rodney said, priority No 1 was promotion to Div 2, achieved with a minimum of fuss. We retained the Ulster U21 for an incredible 4th year in a row and only lost by a point to Dublin where a ref fucked us over big time, a ref that I don't think seen a game of significance since. When you see how Dublin destroyed Roscommon you can see how close we were to winning it out. We also saw the re-emergence of St Pats and an U16 team easily beating the might of Dublin.

Disappointments for sure with the seniors and even worse the total mismanagement of the minors who had a very talented team. But those of us with long memories will recall what it was like only a few years ago, embarrassing hammerings against Wicklow, Longford in Breffni etc. We are going in the right direction and I think on reflection the management we have are best placed to move us on and learn from what didnt work for us this year.

mylestheslasher

Ice Bucket Challenge by the Cavan Juniors. Mad cow disease is back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t0K3mQJcS8

rodney trotter

A lot of people over look the fact that Cavan were missing a number of key players from last year's run this year in the Championship. Mackey, Killian Clarke, and Martin Dunne were nominated for All Stars last year none played against Roscommon, Rory Dunne either, MOTM against Kerry last year.. Ronan Flanagan had a good year last in 2013 as well., Cavan doesn't have the experience to replace those players easily, so i don't know why there was such a meltdown over the championship. The style of play could be better alright.

skeog

peter donnelly to join mickey hartes backroom team does this mean he will no longer be with cavan gaa be a big loss to cavan as he is regarded in tyrone to being the driving force behind cavans u 21s success

rodney trotter

Yes, there has been talk of that. He did great work with Cavan setting a good foundation since he came in 2008 with the Development Squads and then U21 and Seniors since 2013, But a chance for somone else now and a different style perhaps too.