Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Paddy King came on. Anyone see what happened Barry Reilly? Derry up next.

Ollie

Good all round team performance. Took their scores very well and kept momentum throughout the entire game. Kevin Tierney was the pick of the Cavan players. Leddy did well as did conway who came on for Barry Reilly. Gunner Brady was lucky to stay on the field after that incident which lead to the Armagh dismissal. They were poor on the night and were lucky only to have the one player sent off.
Cavan will be disappointed with the goal they conceded and also like the Seniors they fail to capitalise when the opposition are a man down. Derry hammered Monaghan so It could be a tight semi-final.     

rodney trotter

Any idea where the semi is? Hopefully Barry Reilly will be back, i was surprised Paddy King wasn't starting last night, he will probaly be on the team the next day if Barry Reilly is out. Terry Hyland has done a brillant job since he took over the u21's, they should leave as manager for another few years.

Denn Forever

A description of the game from Tony Montana on Hoganstand.

Fantastic result last night. So much for the 6 armagh senior panelists. Cavan played super stuff, opened at a blistering pace and went 6 points to 1 up within about 20 minutes i'd say. Only downside was losing Barry Reilly to a hamstring injury after 5 minutes, who looked like he was well up for the match, sprayed two beautiful 30 yard passes into the full forward line, chris conroy from lavey replaced the captain. First 20 minutes, Cavan were excellent, working hard, winning midfield battle, taking the right option, forwards running directly at their man + either getting by them or drawing the free. Kevin Tierney at 14 was immense all night, he has bulked up & was a serious handful, got some grreat scores off both feet. Armagh did miss 2 or 3 free scoreable frees in this period which could have been crucial, as for the last 10 minutes off the half they got more into the game. Maybe Cavan tired a little bit, plus we made some poor & wayward passes when an easier option was available. Every team gets their purple patch i suppose in a game. But Cavan's defence still stood strong, armagh got a few more scores to bring it back to 6 to 4 at half time. I was slightly worried then that we had lost the momentum. Midlfield seemed to be gone out of it.
Half time arrived, cup of tea + a kit kat later, second half begins. No changes on either side.
Next score was vital and it was the breffni men who delivered it. Hard work + tackling was still as high as ever and this enable the lads to win breaking ball, put armagh under pressure while on the ball. A few wayward shots, but then came the killer blow for the orchard men, having missed a similar chance a few minutes previously, great link up play between joe dillion + tierney + the onrushing conroy who burst through the heart of the favourites defence, kept his feet despite being fouled, drew the keeper and slotted it past him with his wrong foot. Boooom. Cavan 1-8 Armagh 4 points. Too big off a cushion to lose unlike our seniors. Armagh threatened a few times, hitting diagonal long balls in, one or two scares but to be fair the defence had everything well marshalled. Armagh were reduced to 14 players after a bit of a scuffle around midlfield after Cavan won a free kick, straight red for the young Armagh player. Armagh were given a life-line with 10 minutes left when a cross field ball into the defence was hit in, the cavan defence had it all under control, except young sexton got a hand too it, which deflected it away from the Cavan corner back & into the path of Armaghs nr 15 who was lurking in behind Cavans last line of defence, he coolly slotted the ball past the keeper soccer style to give them a glimmer of hope. Both Armagh were not scoring enough of points to trouble Cavan & didn't look like they would get another two goals. Cavan got a few more points & claimed a deserved victory.
Good team, defence were well able to handle the Armagh senior panelist forwards, great work-rate + effort by all players, winning dirty ball, forwards were good, tierney was a real handful. Jack Brady played deeper in 2nd half, got alot of ball but was far from goal, was expecting more of a scoring threat from him after all i heard about him, scored a nice point in the first half though. Roll on Derry in the semi finals. Great buzz, gain some more momentum and who knows, an ulster final could be on the cards again. Well done.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Denn Forever

The Brewster bus continues.

Quote from: Any craic on March 22, 2012, 01:16:31 PM
Cadburys Ulster U-21 Football Semi-finals: Cavan v Derry in Brewster & Down v Tyrone at Casement, both on Wednesday April 4 at 8pm
means what he says...

Denn Forever

From another thread

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 25, 2012, 12:08:38 PM
Quote from: KfmSport‏@KfmSport

According to reports, #SeanieJohnston has failed to lodge appeal with #DRA thus ending his chances of playing with Kildare in 2012 #gaa

What happens now? 
means what he says...

tommysmith

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 25, 2012, 12:24:39 PM
From another thread

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 25, 2012, 12:08:38 PM
Quote from: KfmSport‏@KfmSport

According to reports, #SeanieJohnston has failed to lodge appeal with #DRA thus ending his chances of playing with Kildare in 2012 #gaa

What happens now?

He will pack his bags and move back to Cavan i would imagine, handier for travelling to work.

Westside

Cavan with a blistering start in Hyde. 1-4 to 1 point up after 10 minutes. Ros back into it with 2 more points and getting to grips with the game.

tommysmith

cogito

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWGr-oK2v3E&feature=youtu.be&a

Just seen this from the u21 game the other night.

I see we got a bad result today. Thankfully Offaly lost. We are lucky they have been so bad this year

Celt_Man

So if Offaly beat Tipp next week and Antrim beat us we're gone...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

tommysmith

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 25, 2012, 04:46:34 PM

It might be no harm to go down.

cogito

Quote from: tommysmith on March 25, 2012, 04:49:00 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on March 25, 2012, 04:46:34 PM

It might be no harm to go down.

I find it hard to agree with a statement like that...

Westside

So it's head to head that counts and not scoring difference is that right? We had this scenario last year, at home needing a result to be sure of staying up. But we have a terrible record against Antrim in recent times.

mylestheslasher

Anyone at the game. I am interested to read how it all panned out and am trying to avoid reading the usual "sack the manger", "players are useless" and "bring back Seanie" shite thats been written on hoganstand as I type. We need a point against Antrim to stay up so its in our own hands. For the good of football in the county it is my belief we should stick with these players and try and develop them. We will no doubt have to take some pain for a year or two in order to do that. In my opinion Hyland is the man for the seniors but not yet, maybe next year but I think even the year after next. He is a Cavan man and has a proven track record at underage. Thats the type of background Micky Harte had when he came to the Tyrone management job. Hyland should have the respect of 2/3 very decent u21 teams the year after next. Question is do we stick with Andrews for the end of this season  and the whole of next season. It is very unlikely he will stay at this rate but I think bringing Hyland in too early might not be a good idea.