County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 15, 2019, 02:42:54 AM
QuoteTrue? Not true? Who knows?

Former Mayo manager Stephen Rochford is strongly tipped to be named the new Galway senior football team manager within the coming days.

The Connaught Telegraph understands that the Ballinrobe coach is the top choice of the Galway County GAA Board to replace Kevin Walsh, who retired from the position earlier this month after serving five years in the role.

It is understood Rochford will be joined on his management team by Padraig Joyce and John Divilly, the duo who led the tribesmen to the Connacht Under-20 title this year, with a view to Joyce and Divilly taking over the senior post in three years time.

The telegraph speculate plentyful but are right a lot of the time. I wonder are Joyce and Divily to stick managing the U20s while part of Rochfords senior management?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ballinaman

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 15, 2019, 06:25:10 AM

Former Mayo manager Stephen Rochford is strongly tipped to be named the new Galway senior football team manager within the coming days.

The Connaught Telegraph understands that the Ballinrobe coach is the top choice of the Galway County GAA Board to replace Kevin Walsh, who retired from the position earlier this month after serving five years in the role.

It is understood Rochford will be joined on his management team by Padraig Joyce and John Divilly, the duo who led the tribesmen to the Connacht Under-20 title this year, with a view to Joyce and Divilly taking over the senior post in three years time.

The telegraph speculate plentyful but are right a lot of the time. I wonder are Joyce and Divily to stick managing the U20s while part of Rochfords senior management?
Joyce and back room team went on the beer on a training weekend in Limerick post Connacht final and pre AI semi final to Dublin. Team meeting had to be delayed because they all had heads on them the Sunday morning. Doubt that has gone down well.

GalwayBayBoy

Examiner is saying Rochford is staying with Donegal so looks like someone was fed some misinformation.

WhoDat

rochford taking over wont make a difference. attitude problem with the squad. a lot of people think Galway will suddenly become all ireland contenders once the manager is changed. I'm not convinced.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: WhoDat on September 15, 2019, 02:44:16 PM
rochford taking over wont make a difference. attitude problem with the squad. a lot of people think Galway will suddenly become all ireland contenders once the manager is changed. I'm not convinced.

Right management team can make a huge difference to teams. We see it year after year. Doesn't mean they will win an AI but to say it doesn't make any difference is ridiculous. Otherwise why bother with managers or coaches at all?

WhoDat

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 15, 2019, 02:49:04 PM

Right management team can make a huge difference to teams. We see it year after year. Doesn't mean they will win an AI but to say it doesn't make any difference is ridiculous. Otherwise why bother with managers or coaches at all?

the squad have a bad attitude. too many there who just like being part of an inter county team and seem to have no ambitions beyond beating mayo every year. showing up to games thinking they have it won before a ball is even thrown in. players going hiding on the big day. too many believe their own hype. they're a long way off the big teams

MayoBuck

Quote from: WhoDat on September 15, 2019, 03:50:05 PM

the squad have a bad attitude. too many there who just like being part of an inter county team and seem to have no ambitions beyond beating mayo every year. showing up to games thinking they have it won before a ball is even thrown in. players going hiding on the big day. too many believe their own hype. they're a long way off the big teams

They were in a semi-final last year and were only beaten by 2 division 1 teams this summer. With a top management team it's very possible Galway will be as good or better than Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal and possibly Kerry next year.

Blowitupref

Its not so long ago that Dublin had panels full of players with bad attitudes. A good management team can make the difference.

Kevin Walsh has left a decent panel behind with a good age profile and they have plenty of good underage players waiting for their chance to impress at senior level it's a type of job that plenty of high profile managers should be interested in but maybe Galway will go local again if Rochford sticks with Donegal.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

Not sure what the Telegraph were hearing but sounds like it was false. Rochford has said himself at some AIB thing that he's staying with Donegal.

WhoDat

Quote from: MayoBuck on September 15, 2019, 04:24:21 PM

They were in a semi-final last year and were only beaten by 2 division 1 teams this summer. With a top management team it's very possible Galway will be as good or better than Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal and possibly Kerry next year.

i'm telling you now they won't. there's so much mythologising around galway football, people still dining off past glories and clinging onto the idea that galway play football "the right way" and sure it's only a matter of time before they come good and start winning all irelands again like in the past. what exactly is this based on other than past glories? the current team aren't good enough and still won't be even if a new manager comes in.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: ballinaman on September 15, 2019, 10:57:57 AM

Joyce and back room team went on the beer on a training weekend in Limerick post Connacht final and pre AI semi final to Dublin. Team meeting had to be delayed because they all had heads on them the Sunday morning. Doubt that has gone down well.

Not the worst thing that managers have being doing recently on team weekends if allegations are even nearly true.

magpie seanie

Galway 2018 had stoneage tactics, albeit prefectly honed and executed by Paddy Tally. They came up short in the end and I felt they went too defensive which stopped them going farther. It was a semi final and league finals they lost though. When Tally left KW didn't know how to or whether to stick or twist. Players looked confused and frustrated...even Ian Burke looking narky and getting booked etc. I think a fresh face and more positive tactics will bear fruit...I certainly expect a big improvement from Galway. Their backs will remain suspect but look at what Kerry did this year with a supposedly dodgy back line.

Blowitupref

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 17, 2019, 03:26:23 PM
Galway 2018 had stoneage tactics, albeit prefectly honed and executed by Paddy Tally. They came up short in the end and I felt they went too defensive which stopped them going farther. It was a semi final and league finals they lost though. When Tally left KW didn't know how to or whether to stick or twist. Players looked confused and frustrated...even Ian Burke looking narky and getting booked etc. I think a fresh face and more positive tactics will bear fruit...I certainly expect a big improvement from Galway. Their backs will remain suspect but look at what Kerry did this year with a supposedly dodgy back line.

I think the Tally influence has been overplayed. Galway have been playing that way since Walsh arrived, even Leitrim complained about their defensive tactics in 2015. Galway won Connacht, bet Mayo a few times and got promoted to division 1 before Tallly joined their management team.

Kerry have Donie Buckley on board to shore up their defence but the evidence of both All Ireland finals they are still very much work in progress. Seeing that Galway played Dublin in both the NFL and AI semi final in 2018 I don't think they would have got further regardless of what tactics they used.

macdanger2

Cian O'Neill going to Cork as a coach, decent appointment I'd say

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 17, 2019, 08:45:43 PM
Cian O'Neill going to Cork as a coach, decent appointment I'd say

It's being received very positively in Cork. Have to say he always struck me as a spoofer.