Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

well done to darren mullan and all the boys at newry, back in the irish premiership. 4 promotions in 5 years is some achievement.
nil satis nisi optimum

imtommygunn

Great result for queens in the intermediate the other night.

BennyCake

Quote from: red hander on May 10, 2018, 04:35:50 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 10, 2018, 12:25:11 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 10, 2018, 12:20:46 PM
I think in some cases Nationalists only realise they're being deprived of something because SF have highlighted it. Up until then, it wouldn't even have entered your head. The amount of people feeling outraged over this ILA is unbelievable. None of them have even bothered to learn Irish, yet they feel hard done by because SF told them they should.

Then SF poke the DUP bear with a stick over such issues and they of course say something stupid, and suddenly nationalists are even more outraged. But that is just the game SF and DUP play to keep people divided, and serves their purpose for existing.

As MR2 said, what is it that's missing for you? Will an ILA act really affect your everyday life? Gay marriage? A tricolour alongside a union fleg up on City hall? I seriously doubt it.

This betrays ignorance to such a level as to deem a constructive response pointless.

We're all automatons now, led by the nose by evil Sinn Fein, without a brain to think for ourselves. Yes Massa, we sorry fo asking fo equality, Massa, fell free to beat us, Massa  ::)

So, these equality issues that you seem to be deprived of, what are they?

Applesisapples

Quote from: BennyCake on May 10, 2018, 11:10:34 PM
I think in some cases Nationalists only realise they're being deprived of something because SF have highlighted it. Up until then, it wouldn't even have entered your head. The amount of people feeling outraged over this ILA is unbelievable. None of them have even bothered to learn Irish, yet they feel hard done by because SF told them they should.

Then SF poke the DUP bear with a stick over such issues and they of course say something stupid, and suddenly nationalists are even more outraged. But that is just the game SF and DUP play to keep people divided, and serves their purpose for existing.

As MR2 said, what is it that's missing for you? Will an ILA act really affect your everyday life? Gay marriage? A tricolour alongside a union fleg up on City hall? I seriously doubt it.

This betrays ignorance to such a level as to deem a constructive response pointless.

We're all automatons now, led by the nose by evil Sinn Fein, without a brain to think for ourselves. Yes Massa, we sorry fo asking fo equality, Massa, fell free to beat us, Massa  ::)

Simple one to start, DUP support amnesty for British soldiers because even if they broke the law they were only doing it because themuns did it first.
Then there is how the state(let) represents its self, no Irish Language Act and the fact that anything Gaelic or Green must be resisted as it is a concession to SF/IRA. These small things might not mean an awful lot to you personally but they equate to a lack of respect and equality of identity.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 11, 2018, 09:12:27 AM

Simple one to start, DUP support amnesty for British soldiers because even if they broke the law they were only doing it because themuns did it first.
Then there is how the state(let) represents its self, no Irish Language Act and the fact that anything Gaelic or Green must be resisted as it is a concession to SF/IRA. These small things might not mean an awful lot to you personally but they equate to a lack of respect and equality of identity.

Shocker!! Do you think there should be an amnesty for all paramilitary crimes in the past?.. If you want to be taught Irish or learn it, it's been very active in schools and GAA clubs even when I was growing up in the 70's now we even have schools around the country for anyone who wants to put their child through an Irish school.. Irish quarters in Belfast also, TBH i don't hear a lot of it and very rarely would i hear it on the pitch when I'm refereeing.. Getting money for it through an Act still wont encourage people to learn it, in my opinion..

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tiempo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2018, 09:23:48 AM

Shocker!! Do you think there should be an amnesty for all paramilitary crimes in the past?.. If you want to be taught Irish or learn it, it's been very active in schools and GAA clubs even when I was growing up in the 70's now we even have schools around the country for anyone who wants to put their child through an Irish school.. Irish quarters in Belfast also, TBH i don't hear a lot of it and very rarely would i hear it on the pitch when I'm refereeing.. Getting money for it through an Act still wont encourage people to learn it, in my opinion..

Did you ever hear the one about Dublin GAA getting barrow fulls of cash and the suggestion it might be having an effect on success these years later
Or the revival in Hebrew started in 1800's, its now classed as a modern language
The Act is needed to protect the language, centuries of oppression has left it languishing, it has survived and now needs to be given a chance to flourish, think Great Crested Newt

trailer

"But what's the point? The point is to actually break these bastards – that's the point. And what's going to break them is equality. That's what's going to break them: equality. Who could be afraid of equality? Who could be afraid of treating somebody the way you want to be treated. That's what we need to keep the focus on; that's the Trojan horse of the entire republican strategy" - Gerry Adams

SF are using these issues. Adams admitted it in the quote above. Equality is a "Trojan Horse" (A weapon dressed up a gift) But that isn't a popular opinion here. Look how quickly they dropped SSM in the last talks.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tiempo on May 11, 2018, 11:02:10 AM

Did you ever hear the one about Dublin GAA getting barrow fulls of cash and the suggestion it might be having an effect on success these years later
Or the revival in Hebrew started in 1800's, its now classed as a modern language
The Act is needed to protect the language, centuries of oppression has left it languishing, it has survived and now needs to be given a chance to flourish, think Great Crested Newt

So how long has the Irish language act been going in the republic?  How much different is it to the current Irish teaching in the north? (Genuine question)

And the revival of Hebrew, hows that working out?

As for Dublin, did you ever hear about the Kerry team of the 80's?

Are you feeling less than equal to Norman up the Shankil? Does anyone here feel discriminated against?

I deal with pensioners  every day in the medical profession, and their main gripe is a poor health service,  long waiting lists, unable to get home helps or money for heating.. I've yet to hear about not getting an Irish act, I doubt I ever will
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

No way MR2. What people and the elderly really want is to hear waiting list are getting longer os gaeilge.

tiempo

Quote from: trailer on May 11, 2018, 11:16:06 AM
"But what's the point? The point is to actually break these b**tards – that's the point. And what's going to break them is equality. That's what's going to break them: equality. Who could be afraid of equality? Who could be afraid of treating somebody the way you want to be treated. That's what we need to keep the focus on; that's the Trojan horse of the entire republican strategy" - Gerry Adams

SF are using these issues. Adams admitted it in the quote above. Equality is a "Trojan Horse" (A weapon dressed up a gift) But that isn't a popular opinion here. Look how quickly they dropped SSM in the last talks.

Political strategy, kill opposition with kindness. What an outrageous threat.
Trojan Horse banned or what? Is politics banned? More fool the political opponents if they fall for it.

tiempo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2018, 11:17:09 AM

So how long has the Irish language act been going in the republic? 2003  How much different is it to the current Irish teaching in the north? (Genuine question) Probably the same, given its the same language

And the revival of Hebrew, hows that working out? Pre-revival almost extinct, now classified as modern language

As for Dublin, did you ever hear about the Kerry team of the 80's? Yes, were they bankrolled by GAA HQ?

Are you feeling less than equal to Norman up the Shankil? On a biological level I'm sure we were born near enough equal Does anyone here feel discriminated against? Plenty of threads on this board, including this one make reference to institutional and state discrimination

I deal with pensioners  every day in the medical profession, and their main gripe is a poor health service,  long waiting lists, unable to get home helps or money for heating.. I've yet to hear about not getting an Irish act, I doubt I ever will Not met too many pensioners learning a new language in my time, they are entitled to their views on healthcare etc the same as everyone else, maybe their mortality is of more concern at that age than an Act they might not avail of or be impacted by. Better healthcare, the Act, winter fuel allowance... who is threatened by these things?

trailer

Quote from: tiempo on May 11, 2018, 11:43:18 AM
Quote from: trailer on May 11, 2018, 11:16:06 AM
"But what's the point? The point is to actually break these b**tards – that's the point. And what's going to break them is equality. That's what's going to break them: equality. Who could be afraid of equality? Who could be afraid of treating somebody the way you want to be treated. That's what we need to keep the focus on; that's the Trojan horse of the entire republican strategy" - Gerry Adams

Political strategy, kill opposition with kindness. What an outrageous threat.
Trojan Horse banned or what? Is politics banned? More fool the political opponents if they fall for it.

You completely miss the point.

Applesisapples

Personally I believe there should be a line drawn under the past, but I know people directly affected by loyalist violence and they still crave justice so who am I to say. In relation to the rest I am not saying any of it is crucila but would be indicative that unionism accepts nationalism as an equal and valid identity within the state. And I am not talking about constitutional change, just a change in mindset.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tiempo on May 11, 2018, 11:54:44 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2018, 11:17:09 AM

So how long has the Irish language act been going in the republic? 2003  How much different is it to the current Irish teaching in the north? (Genuine question) Probably the same, given its the same language

And the revival of Hebrew, hows that working out? Pre-revival almost extinct, now classified as modern language

As for Dublin, did you ever hear about the Kerry team of the 80's? Yes, were they bankrolled by GAA HQ?

Are you feeling less than equal to Norman up the Shankil? On a biological level I'm sure we were born near enough equal Does anyone here feel discriminated against? Plenty of threads on this board, including this one make reference to institutional and state discrimination

I deal with pensioners  every day in the medical profession, and their main gripe is a poor health service,  long waiting lists, unable to get home helps or money for heating.. I've yet to hear about not getting an Irish act, I doubt I ever will Not met too many pensioners learning a new language in my time, they are entitled to their views on healthcare etc the same as everyone else, maybe their mortality is of more concern at that age than an Act they might not avail of or be impacted by. Better healthcare, the Act, winter fuel allowance... who is threatened by these things?

Ok thats explained it, thanks  ::)

There are more people in Ireland speaking Polish than Irish at home or outside of school.. Maybe we should have a Polish Act

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 11, 2018, 12:32:45 PM

Personally I believe there should be a line drawn under the past, but I know people directly affected by loyalist violence and they still crave justice so who am I to say. In relation to the rest I am not saying any of it is crucila but would be indicative that unionism accepts nationalism as an equal and valid identity within the state. And I am not talking about constitutional change, just a change in mindset.

I've always said that a proper truth commission is the way forward to heal some wounds, but you can't cherry-pick it to suit yourself...

The mindset is changing, just very slowly, slow and steady wins the race.. Everybody has to conceed something here, and while for 80 odd years the Nationalist did all the conceeding, that has changed so, give it a shot, steal a bit here and there, digging your heels in at every opportunity will get us nowhere.. getting a United Ireland will lead to a Irish act if thats your bag. digging your heels in now, wont bring it any closer