Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Dont really know what im tryin to say but while you lot have been on here past two days lamenting this the Coleraine team, including our lot have been away on the rip, enjoyin themselves.

Yes its annoyin but it lasted a minute and its gone now

David McKeown

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 07, 2018, 12:26:17 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 06, 2018, 11:29:49 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on May 04, 2018, 05:50:42 PM
I have no difficulty with playing the anthem the association identifies as its national anthem. The same is played before the FA Cup final. It's not an anthem being played for either team in the match.
makes a mockery off football for all, IFA are a sectarian organisation.

It is sectarian in the same way that the GAA is a sectarian organisation.

IFA is allowed to be a sectarian organisation by those who are involved with the IfA as players, coaches, administrators and supporters.  If non-unionist, non-British citizens of N.Ireland who are connected with the IFA as outlined above engaged in the organisation, got onto committees, voted at meetings and AGMs to ensure that they were proportionally represented within the IFA then the organisation would be radically changed.  Instead, it is easier to stay outside, allow those of an opposite political and national position to run the organisation and just become victims.

Owen can you give an example of the GAA taking players to court in an attempt to stop them playing for their country then falsely claiming that another organisation is targeting these players on religious grounds?  If you can then I'll believe the IFA and the GAA are equivalent in their secterianism. That's setting aside the fact the GAA is more than merely a sporting organisation and has never claimed otherwise.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

michaelg

Quote from: David McKeown on May 07, 2018, 08:49:18 AM
I have no difficulty with playing the anthem the association identifies as its national anthem. The same is played before the FA Cup final. It's not an anthem being played for either team in the match.

IFA is allowed to be a sectarian organisation by those who are involved with the IfA as players, coaches, administrators and supporters.  If non-unionist, non-British citizens of N.Ireland who are connected with the IFA as outlined above engaged in the organisation, got onto committees, voted at meetings and AGMs to ensure that they were proportionally represented within the IFA then the organisation would be radically changed.  Instead, it is easier to stay outside, allow those of an opposite political and national position to run the organisation and just become victims.

Owen can you give an example of the GAA taking players to court in an attempt to stop them playing for their country then falsely claiming that another organisation is targeting these players on religious grounds?  If you can then I'll believe the IFA and the GAA are equivalent in their secterianism. That's setting aside the fact the GAA is more than merely a sporting organisation and has never claimed otherwise.
I think that it is fairly cettain that the FAI have targeted players on religious grounds.  Didn't Michael recount the sory of how Paddy McNair was approached on the mistaken belief that he was  a catholic given his name?

6th sam

Quote from: michaelg on May 07, 2018, 09:18:18 AM

I think that it is fairly cettain that the FAI have targeted players on religious grounds.  Didn't Michael recount the sory of how Paddy McNair was approached on the mistaken belief that he was  a catholic given his name?

Well Michael would recount that wouldn't he?
He came out of this , very badly , showing a complete absence of respect and understanding for those in NI who clearly affiliate with the ROI team.
On behalf of the IFA , and for his own benefit, he champions this nonsense of FAI not being allowed to "target" players who want to play for them. Michael O'Neill chose to play for NI and clearly has an affinity with them. However several people including soccer players , from the North, have absolutely no affinity to the Northern state. That is a legitimate viewpoint that some in NI still seem to dismiss or disrespect. Professional soccer is a fairly small world and it's not hard for professional player from NI to get the message across that they want to play for the republic . Similarly , it's the duty of the FAI to welcome and indeed seek out players who want to play for them.
I totally respect the desire of players who want or are content to play for NI, that respect for choice is sadly absent from many associated with NI soccer .
The IFA are making strides in many areas, but if NI soccer wants to make all eligible players feel welcome , they have an enormous amount of work to do. The location and naming of the stadium , flags, emblems , anthems are all areas that create difficulty for "nationalists". Then  because of the historic appalling sectarianism (including death threat to their captain who happened to play for Celtic) , they are still unlikely to harness support from a large proportion of the population. So you can see why they are reluctant to drop the identity, which sits well with the majority of their loyal support . Not easy decisions ahead for the IFA, they could drop all semblance's of Britishness and still not get any extra players or support.

BennyCake

That has happened for years. NI hinted Matt Le Tissier could play for them, 2 or 3 countries were after Januzaj, Wayne Rooney, Muzzy Izzet Turkey, Matt Elliott Scotland, McTominay, Diego Costa, Hargreaves, Sterling. Big Jack searched the leagues for players with an Irish granny. With McNair, it's no different. It only looks worse because in Ireland, selection in a lot of cases is about religion.

nrico2006

If they don't like it then they can move to the League of Ireland.  What harm is a bit of music going to do, instead of focusing on this side show they should have been putting all their energy into the final.  Glad to see Coleraine beat them.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

David McKeown

Given that I was coaching McNairs club at that stage I can assure you that whilst he was approached a few others in the team were too. It wasn't based on their religion. The FAI also approached a couple of my players a few years later and both were from Rathcoole. They don't approach anyone any more that I am aware of because of a gentlemans agreement with the IFA that benefits no one but the IFA and still isn't enough for the IFA.

6th sam

Quote from: David McKeown on May 07, 2018, 12:40:59 PM

Given that I was coaching McNairs club at that stage I can assure you that whilst he was approached a few others in the team were too. It wasn't based on their religion. The FAI also approached a couple of my players a few years later and both were from Rathcoole. They don't approach anyone any more that I am aware of because of a gentlemans agreement with the IFA that benefits no one but the IFA and still isn't enough for the IFA.

Many thanks David, good to get clarity on this. The IFA need to be honest about their  self serving attitude towards those in the North, who they are trying to force to play for a country and a team that they have no affinity for. Some understandably play for NI either because they don't particularly care and/or are advised by their agents to knuckle down and take an arguably easier opportunity to play international football

Orior

Maybe Cliftonville should start seriously looking at playing in the League of Ireland.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

michaelg

I'm be very surprised if approaches are no longer being made.  Also, this was also something that the FAI have denied over the years.  They always said that it was the players who made the initial contact etc.  Trying to poach players developed by the IFA, particularly those from a unionist background which you say also took place, does not paint them in a very good light in my opinion.

michaelg

Quote from: 6th sam on May 07, 2018, 12:55:03 PM

Many thanks David, good to get clarity on this. The IFA need to be honest about their  self serving attitude towards those in the North, who they are trying to force to play for a country and a team that they have no affinity for. Some understandably play for NI either because they don't particularly care and/or are advised by their agents to knuckle down and take an arguably easier opportunity to play international football
So they are being self-serving by picking players from all sections of society in NI?  Also, they are not trying to force anyone.  If you are old enough to decide that your preference is the ROI, why take up thes opportunities to play for NI's underage teams when these could have been gone to other players wanting to progress to play for the senior NI team.? It's those players making the switch after representing NI underage teams who are being 'self-serving'.

David McKeown

It happened many many years ago. I haven't heard of it happening since, there are a few possible reasons for that. 1. The rise to prominence of the National League replacing the Lisburn league as the top league in the country lead to more Irish Premiership sides having youth academies meaning in turn less star players at smaller clubs like mine. 2. I moved up with the team I was coaching meaning the FAI would have been aware of the talent of my players. 3. The IFA and FAI reached a gentlemans agreement that the FAI wouldn't accept under age players anymore, also wouldn't approach overage players and would immediately inform the IFA if any approached them.

I think it's a disgrace that the FAI came to such an agreement particularly given the IFA taken players to court. The FAI gains nothing from it and it's arguably in breach of EU law.

Also I don't see why there's a distinction between them approaching unionist or nationalists players. Anyone born on the island is entitled to play for the FAI, I think the FAI should be offering all of them an equal opportunity to do so.

michaelg

Quote from: David McKeown on May 07, 2018, 01:32:29 PM
It happened many many years ago. I haven't heard of it happening since, there are a few possible reasons for that. 1. The rise to prominence of the National League replacing the Lisburn league as the top league in the country lead to more Irish Premiership sides having youth academies meaning in turn less star players at smaller clubs like mine. 2. I moved up with the team I was coaching meaning the FAI would have been aware of the talent of my players. 3. The IFA and FAI reached a gentlemans agreement that the FAI wouldn't accept under age players anymore, also wouldn't approach overage players and would immediately inform the IFA if any approached them.

I think it's a disgrace that the FAI came to such an agreement particularly given the IFA taken players to court. The FAI gains nothing from it and it's arguably in breach of EU law.

Also I don't see why there's a distinction between them approaching unionist or nationalists players. Anyone born on the island is entitled to play for the FAI, I think the FAI should be offering all of them an equal opportunity to do so.
I don't think we are going to agree on this.  There are still 2 footballing jurisdictions on the island, and as a fan of NI, I want the team to be as strong as possible.  Obviously this is unlikely to be the case if the FAI are approacing players who the IFA have spent time and money on developing.  As I said in another post, if you know you don't want to play for the NI seniot team then don't represent the underage teams.  I think this was the case with Marc Wilson, so fair play to him.

6th sam

Quote from: michaelg on May 07, 2018, 01:21:19 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on May 07, 2018, 12:55:03 PM

So they are being self-serving by picking players from all sections of society in NI?  Also, they are not trying to force anyone.  If you are old enough to decide that your preference is the ROI, why take up thes opportunities to play for NI's underage teams when these could have been gone to other players wanting to progress to play for the senior NI team.? It's those players making the switch after representing NI underage teams who are being 'self-serving'.
That's the nature of professional soccer , yes, these INDIVIDUALS are being self-serving. It's very hard for an up and coming star from ,  say, Crossgar , to say to his parents and coaches ,as he is trying to make an impression in local soccer , under the jurisdiction of IFA, " take me down to Dublin, I want to play for ROI under 17s" . However, whilst he avails of the very best opportunities available to him as an INDIVIDUAL, to further his career , as a young player, as he enters adulthood, he then can make his own mind up. This is quite a simple scenario to understand , if you respect the principle of choice.
On the other hand the IFA is funded to oversee grassroots, amateur, professional and international soccer in the North. It has a duty to develop talented individuals. That doesn't give the IFA as a heavily funded ORGANISATION , the right to try to "force" these players to play for an NI team , with which they have no affinity.
There are key principles here such as , responsibilities of accepting state funding, respect for the individual, and right to choose, which are not being recognised by the IFA. As per their funding , They should organise soccer for all groups and individuals under their jusisfiction , welcome those that want to play for them, and RESPECT those that CHOOSE not to!
Such principles of respect for identity are ingrained in a democratically agreed international agreement, GFA. Sadly , many from a "unionist" background and indeed the IFA, have still failed to embrace this internationally recognised principle regarding identity.