Connacht SFC 2020

Started by Rossfan, October 26, 2020, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

I think in Galway the longer a player isn't playing the better he seems to get! We've all heard the talk about the Corofin players that should be playing but the way the club championship was laid out in previous years really didn't allow them much time to beak into the first 15 or even the panel. Ironically, this year would have been the first year they got a clear run at it but that didn't work out either. I think Steede showed that you need time to settle in, didn't start off great but management persisted with him and he had a couple of great games, so much so that we're lamenting his loss now so I'd be slow to write off he likes of Jason Leonard just yet, he needs time to settle but may not get it this year with the way games are scheduled.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: larryin89 on October 26, 2020, 09:25:08 PM
Yes but the barometer you'd use is the handicap line which is 12 with pp and 13 with bet 365  both in and around even money . So Mayo to win by 13 points or more is what the bookies expect .
[/b]
I'm a wee bit confused here as I never was a betting man. Are the odds quoted here for the Connacht Final or for the game v Leitrim? IMO, Mayo winning the CF by a margin of 13 points is crazy. If I had to bet right now, I'd put a few bob oni the Rossies. Mayo's form is fluctuating wildly and si is Galway's.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

larryin89

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 26, 2020, 09:53:04 PM
Yes but the barometer you'd use is the handicap line which is 12 with pp and 13 with bet 365  both in and around even money . So Mayo to win by 13 points or more is what the bookies expect .
[/b]
I'm a wee bit confused here as I never was a betting man. Are the odds quoted here for the Connacht Final or for the game v Leitrim? IMO, Mayo winning the CF by a margin of 13 points is crazy. If I had to bet right now, I'd put a few bob oni the Rossies. Mayo's form is fluctuating wildly and si is Galway's.

Stall the digger lar , tis for the Leitrim game the odds are not Connacht outright .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Lar Naparka

Quote from: larryin89 on October 26, 2020, 10:12:30 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 26, 2020, 09:53:04 PM
[/b]

Stall the digger lar , tis for the Leitrim game the odds are not Connacht outright .
Thanks Larry. I kinda thought as much but wasn't sure.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: weareros on October 26, 2020, 05:54:46 PM
This will be a poor mouthing thread, if you ever saw one. That said whoever wins Connacht won't be within 10 points of Kerry.

If they are not they should go to bed for themselves. Kerry nothing special.

Maroon Manc

As AFA stated I'll be hoping for a bad day weather wise in Salthill should Galway as expected get to the Connacht final.

Any word on Steede's injury?

An Fhairche Abu

Steede is "on the mend" according to the manager, sure that could mean anything to be honest!
Comer confirmed as out for the Connacht championship, he's done for the year so it's time to leave him as part of the Galway consideration to 2021 and for November 2020 it's now for someone else in the squad to try and step up and make a name for themselves.

Whatever happens in the next few weeks, great to see that the Connacht championship will be played either way, Galway are in a difficult spot in a lot of areas but hopefully they will turn it around a bit, one off knockout games will bring a different dynamic as well.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 27, 2020, 10:07:07 AM
Steede is "on the mend" according to the manager, sure that could mean anything to be honest!
Comer confirmed as out for the Connacht championship, he's done for the year so it's time to leave him as part of the Galway consideration to 2021 and for November 2020 it's now for someone else in the squad to try and step up and make a name for themselves.

Whatever happens in the next few weeks, great to see that the Connacht championship will be played either way, Galway are in a difficult spot in a lot of areas but hopefully they will turn it around a bit, one off knockout games will bring a different dynamic as well.

Doesn't sound overly positive with a Connacht Final less than 3 weeks away. I can't say I've much optimism but winning Connacht from here would be a good achievement.

Anyone know anything on Cooke, whether he'll be back next year or if he's gone for good?

galwayman

I have nothing but admiration for Corofin as a club. But in fairness it is hard to argue with the case that none of them have really done the business consistently for Galway aside from Sice (he was a very consistent performer for Galway over the years).
Liam Silke is undoubtedly a fine player but has yet to really shine in a maroon jersey for whatever reason.
Ian Burke was excellent against Kerry in 2017 in a well beaten team and had a very good 2018 also (although in no way did he deserve an All Star ahead of Shane Walsh imo).
Since then his form has fallen off a cliff even at club level. The Mountbellew game was his first decent game for Corofin even in a long time.
He plays as an inside forward and needs to score more fullstop. People talk about his assists and unselfish play but he needs to get back to doing damage on the scoreboard.
I do though accept 100% that it was very hard for the Corofin guys who were on the fringes of the team to get a look in when they effectively missed entire league campaigns. An illustration of this is the fact that Sunday was Bernie Powers first ever league start for Galway, despite him having played championship in 2016. This has also hindered Steede, Molloy, Wall and the Farraghers over the past few years.
It must be said though that the Farraghers haven't taken their chance to shine when they have been given chances (Martin Farraghers strop when taken off against Mayo last year pissed me off if I'm being honest - his first start, barely touched the ball and throws a strop when taken off. Talk about a lack of self awareness).

Anyhow looking towards the Connacht campaign, Daly & Comer obviously huge losses. I would argue that the fitness of Flynn & Steede is now crucially important for us. These two plus Conroy you would hope would improve our ball winning - the lack of a quality kick out strategy notwithstanding.
To have any chance of winning Connacht we need Shane fit and in form. That is to state the blatantly obvious.
A lot can change in a short space of time, so here's hoping we get some more bodies back over the next 3 weeks.

Rossfan

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 27, 2020, 09:19:58 AM
As AFA stated I'll be hoping for a bad day weather wise in Salthill should Galway as expected get to the Connacht final.

Venue decided already??? :o :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 27, 2020, 11:28:31 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 27, 2020, 10:07:07 AM

Doesn't sound overly positive with a Connacht Final less than 3 weeks away. I can't say I've much optimism but winning Connacht from here would be a good achievement.

Anyone know anything on Cooke, whether he'll be back next year or if he's gone for good?

I assumed he was only gone for the year but I could be mistaken. He's over in NYC with the girlfriend.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Rossfan on October 27, 2020, 12:59:04 PM

If you look back at my original post where I talked about the weather for the Connacht final I made sure to specify Pearse Stadium or Hyde Park anyway!!!
Rossies in with a great chance, they won Connacht last year and are probably better again in 2020, look to be going very well.

fearsiuil

Quote from: galwayman on October 27, 2020, 11:35:33 AM
I have nothing but admiration for Corofin as a club. But in fairness it is hard to argue with the case that none of them have really done the business consistently for Galway aside from Sice (he was a very consistent performer for Galway over the years).
Liam Silke is undoubtedly a fine player but has yet to really shine in a maroon jersey for whatever reason.
Ian Burke was excellent against Kerry in 2017 in a well beaten team and had a very good 2018 also (although in no way did he deserve an All Star ahead of Shane Walsh imo).
Since then his form has fallen off a cliff even at club level. The Mountbellew game was his first decent game for Corofin even in a long time.
He plays as an inside forward and needs to score more fullstop. People talk about his assists and unselfish play but he needs to get back to doing damage on the scoreboard.
I do though accept 100% that it was very hard for the Corofin guys who were on the fringes of the team to get a look in when they effectively missed entire league campaigns. An illustration of this is the fact that Sunday was Bernie Powers first ever league start for Galway, despite him having played championship in 2016. This has also hindered Steede, Molloy, Wall and the Farraghers over the past few years.
It must be said though that the Farraghers haven't taken their chance to shine when they have been given chances (Martin Farraghers strop when taken off against Mayo last year pissed me off if I'm being honest - his first start, barely touched the ball and throws a strop when taken off. Talk about a lack of self awareness).

Anyhow looking towards the Connacht campaign, Daly & Comer obviously huge losses. I would argue that the fitness of Flynn & Steede is now crucially important for us. These two plus Conroy you would hope would improve our ball winning - the lack of a quality kick out strategy notwithstanding.
To have any chance of winning Connacht we need Shane fit and in form. That is to state the blatantly obvious.
A lot can change in a short space of time, so here's hoping we get some more bodies back over the next 3 weeks.

It's probably no coincidence that Ian Burke's form has slipped when Comer has been injured, Comer takes a lot of minding freeing up a bit of space for the wee one. Agree that Shane Walsh would have made a better recipient of that All Star and a greater leader for Galway also. 

Rossfan

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 27, 2020, 01:58:55 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 27, 2020, 12:59:04 PM

If you look back at my original post where I talked about the weather for the Connacht final I made sure to specify Pearse Stadium or Hyde Park anyway!!!
Rossies in with a great chance, they won Connacht last year and are probably better again in 2020, look to be going very well.
I'd be happier if we had our London game to play.
We'll be going in  after a good/bad game v Armagh and a disrupted game v Cavan, both 2nd Division.
Meanwhile Mayowestros will have 2 Division 1 games and a Championship game under their belts.
If they hit the ground running and we're  needing time to get up to pace we could be in bother and hoping for them to relapse into their old habit of wide kicking.
As I said in the 1st post that game and the Final will be 50/50 and down to "on the day".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

Quote from: MayoBuck on October 26, 2020, 04:12:56 PM
I think we'll probably stick with O'Shea at 14. That's where he was playing all summer for Breaffy and apparently Ciaran McDonald was doing some coaching with them.

Hopefully Keegan is moved back to centre half back with Durcan and Eoghan McLaughlin either side of him. Everyone talking about sweepers after yesterday but it's really down to the half back line to not be dragged out of position and leave us exposed.
to my minf Aidan has to be midfield  there is no one he cant handle there. I donthink think he has or ever had the footspeed to be a full forward and is wasted in there and while Lftus has done fine hre not really a midfielder at all and could easily get caught badly further down the Line.
is this team really the one Horan has in mind for the Champion ship  leaving out hennelly barrett higgins  boyle Parsons Carr boland etc  or was he just givimg lads a chance to claim theor place which I believe Mullin conroy Eoghan Mclouglin  made the most of . I wouldln't write off moran either
but I don think horan found what he needs most , a full back or center half back
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere