Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: hardstation on October 29, 2020, 08:53:24 AM
If Bruce Springsteen was playing in Dungannon, it would sell out.
Same for Philomena Begley.

Both true. The Mastercard ad writes itself

illdecide

Unreal...Casement has got planning approval and the stadium is finally going ahead and people are still talking about building it somewhere else...Jesus wept.

P.S. Lurgan is better than Dungannon as we've a train station and a M1 motorway and prob more central than Dungannon. So i've seen ya and raised ya... ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Taylor

Quote from: hardstation on October 29, 2020, 10:01:03 AM
Ulster finals are known for warm sunny days with kids demanding refreshing ice cream. Fcuk all worth talking about in Lurgan to provide that service.

;D ;D

Dont poke the bear HS

LCohen

Quote from: illdecide on October 29, 2020, 09:55:59 AM
Unreal...Casement has got planning approval and the stadium is finally going ahead and people are still talking about building it somewhere else...Jesus wept.

P.S. Lurgan is better than Dungannon as we've a train station and a M1 motorway and prob more central than Dungannon. So i've seen ya and raised ya... ;)

Of course build it Lurgan so the peoples of Donegal, Fermanagh, Monaghan, Tyrone, Derry, North Antrim, Cavan, Armagh city, the bulk of Down etc, etc can drive to the Train station.

johnnycool

Quote from: illdecide on October 29, 2020, 09:55:59 AM

Can your albino lad Paul I think his name was, pull up the chip van he used to park outside the school rock up and offer everyone a "bean topper"?

clonadmad

Quote from: hardstation on October 29, 2020, 08:01:41 AM
Yeah, you're right. It needs to be in the city for concerts as big artists and music lovers wouldn't head to places like Dungannon, Thurles, Punchestown, Stradbally and Slane..... ::)

Not that I'm advocating building the stadium in Dungannon.

The last concert in Thurles was pulled because they couldn't sell enough tickets

Punchestown is also long gone

Slane isn't an annual event

Which leaves Stradbally as the last major annual camping out festival,good luck to you if want to do similar with Dungannon

The reality is that most major concerts are held in city stadia for reasons such as accessibility,size,comfort,bars and concessions

LCohen

Quote from: clonadmad on October 29, 2020, 10:32:32 AM
Yeah, you're right. It needs to be in the city for concerts as big artists and music lovers wouldn't head to places like Dungannon, Thurles, Punchestown, Stradbally and Slane..... ::)

The last concert in Thurles was pulled because they couldn't sell enough tickets

Which leaves Stradbally as the last major annual camping out festival,good luck to you if want to do similar with Dungannon

The reality is that most major concerts are held in city stadia for reasons such as accessibility,size,comfort,bars and concessions

But the stadia are built for sporting reasons and they then compete for concerts.

The sporting rationale for this stadium is stronger outside Belfast. And Belfast already has stadia and outdoor concert venues.

illdecide

Quote from: hardstation on October 29, 2020, 10:01:03 AM
Ulster finals are known for warm sunny days with kids demanding refreshing ice cream. Fcuk all worth talking about in Lurgan to provide that service.

V good...I'm sure we could find them something ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

clonadmad

Quote from: LCohen on October 29, 2020, 10:37:36 AM

But the stadia are built for sporting reasons and they then compete for concerts.

The sporting rationale for this stadium is stronger outside Belfast. And Belfast already has stadia and outdoor concert venues.

Belfast is the second largest city on the Island,if you want to develop and enhance the GAAs presence in the largest urban centers where let's face it most of the population movement is now to.

You need an adequately developed stadium  in a city environment

Lads suggesting lurgan or Dungannon is the equivalent of not developing Croke park in the 1990's and moving it out to Newbridge or Portlaoise.

Milltown Row2

Dungannon as much as its a lovely place doesn't have hotels that would be able to facilitate large venue concerts

As for Motorway, Casement is on the motorway and has a train station about 20 minute walk away.. would be amazing if the infrastructure was able to facilitate a walkway from under the motorway up towards the back of Casement with parking near Malusk park...

Either way its being built..

Andytown is no different to Northside Dublin, and people head there in their droves!   
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

As someone said the project and the Government money is for Casement, not for wherever GAAboarders think is best.
So get on with building what ye can with the money that's available.
There won't be any more cash from GAA or the public purse for 3 or 4 years at best thanks to Covid.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

JPGJOHNNYG

If you go to any stadium in Britain for a big match expect a longish walk. 20 mins from casement covers a pretty wide area to possibly park up. Still some will try and park at the front gate ;D

LCohen

Quote from: clonadmad on October 29, 2020, 11:46:00 AM
Quote from: LCohen on October 29, 2020, 10:37:36 AM

Belfast is the second largest city on the Island,if you want to develop and enhance the GAAs presence in the largest urban centers where let's face it most of the population movement is now to.

You need an adequately developed stadium  in a city environment

Lads suggesting lurgan or Dungannon is the equivalent of not developing Croke park in the 1990's and moving it out to Newbridge or Portlaoise.

Belfast needs a stadium. I'm not arguing against it. Work out what the Antrim/Belfast requirement is and seek planning and funding for that.

The Newbridge/Portlaoise argument is bogus. Dublin have a baseline requirement for a large stadium and the GAA have a peak requirement for something close to 100k capacity. Allied to the history of CP it was the obvious choice.

Antrim's baseline requirement is not comparable and nowhere remotely close to the Casement capacity.
Ulster GAA's requirement probably isn't as high as the original Casement ambition.
The GAA requirement within Ulster does not centre around Belfast. Dungannon would have been more logical.
The hotel argument made by others is weak. Belfast has hotels but it also has existing concert venues. What is the argument that it needs another one for 3 nights a year?

LCohen

Quote from: Rossfan on October 29, 2020, 11:59:21 AM
As someone said the project and the Government money is for Casement, not for wherever GAAboarders think is best.
So get on with building what ye can with the money that's available.
There won't be any more cash from GAA or the public purse for 3 or 4 years at best thanks to Covid.

Currently the project is not going ahead. The available budget is currently insufficient. This has a way to go