Let's all laugh at Totteringham

Started by ONeill, August 11, 2007, 02:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

There is lots rotten at Spurs and it looks like Poch has taken the fall for it.  Players have downed tools and are a pale shadow of themselves.  Levy is as tight as ever, despite relaxing the purse strings slightly in the summer.  Wages are not up to "big club" standards of the Premier League....

Get big Sam in  ;)

marty34

Ambrose

You can't live off history and tradition forever

Joeythelips

Quote from: marty34 on November 20, 2019, 10:02:15 AM
Jose in.  That was quick!!!

Obviously had him lined up already as it was unusual time to sack Poch. Looking back, considering Spurs history and financial constraints he has done an amazing job and it will be a lucky club that gets him next. Jose is a winner in terms of trophies but the guy is also toxic.

Maroon Manc

Poch probably had to go but if I were a Spurs fan I'd be fuming with Levy, I don't think this is going to end well for Spurs. In the short term Spurs have a chance of winning the CL but long term they don't have the funds to build a new team unless they sell Kane.

Poch did a brillaint job and should have been backed, he's turned Spurs into a top 4 side on a shoe string, would imagine he's not far off break even in the transfer market; The likes of Walker, Rose, Alderwiereld, Eriksen, Ali & Kane all became top players under Poch, he should have allowed to build a new side the last 2 summers but wasn't. Spurs will likely lose 3 players this summer for free, Levy gets far too much credit for how Spurs have done. Spurs have finished in the top 4 the last 4 seasons under Poch and whilst United have spent about £400m on players since he took over Spurs are probably not far off break even. Spurs would be where Liverpool and City are if Poch had been backed properly.

lurganblue

Jose wont be going there without a guaranteed war chest.  Wage structure to be overhauled too.

yellowcard

Pochettino done a great job with Spurs given where he took them from when he initially took them over. Consistently finishing in the top 4 and being competitive on a budget smaller than most of their closest rivals all whilst playing a good brand of football. However something looked not quite right with Poch since the summer and it is like the chicken and the egg. Is he gone because he no longer wanted to manage Spurs or is he gone because Spurs no longer wanted him. I think it could well be the former. and for that reason I think that a parting of the ways might well suit both parties since Poch deserves to be given a budget to see if he can manage at the highest level and challenge consistently for the biggest trophies.

The biggest surprise for me is the appointment of Mourinho given the Spurs template for success and Levies reluctance to spend big money. I can see them losing a few of their best players in the next 12 months and they will struggle to replicate the success they had under Pochettino.       

lurganblue

Would be funny to see Poch rock up at Arsenal and do well.

Boycey

Quote from: lurganblue on November 20, 2019, 11:54:37 AM
Jose wont be going there without a guaranteed war chest.  Wage structure to be overhauled too.

Not likely under Levy plus they have a big new stadium to pay for...

magpie seanie

My sympathies Tottenham supporters.

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/11/19/mauricio-pochettino-performed-miracles-tottenham-stuck-around/

After the highs of last season and a Champions League final appearance, Mauricio Pochettino's Tottenham relationship came crashing down this campaign CREDIT: REX
Before Tottenham's Champions League final against Liverpool, Mauricio Pochettino had his players breaking arrows that were pushed against their larynxes as part of a bonding exercise. Arrows to the back are much harder to stop.
Spurs have been an uneasy alliance between 'underpaid' players, a parsimonious board and a manager who was constantly weighing whether he was in the right place. Mauricio Pochettino's talent as a coach is hardly in doubt, but his timing is not so clever. He stuck around too long and made himself vulnerable to the sack.
Whether through emotion, stubbornness or hesitation, Pochettino should have seen that his zenith had already been reached. Last season's operatic quarter-final Champions League win against Manchester City and the rousing semi-final fightback against Ajax in Amsterdam were the high points of his final year in charge. But defeat to Liverpool in the final and a chaotic summer of non-reconstruction must have told Pochettino he was going to fall off the high-wire of his relationship with Daniel Levy.

The modern Tottenham are a clever trick of the light: glorious stadium, some fine players, possibly the world's best No 9 (Harry Kane) and a record of top-four Premier League finishes that belies their reluctance to compete financially with Manchester City and Liverpool. Pochettino's gift was to hide those contradictions behind an exuberant playing style and strong team spirit. But 'over-achieving' can only be stretched so far and it was a certainty that Spurs that would place self-interest ahead of a manager who took them further than they were entitled to go.
Twenty-five points from 24 league games since February is a damning statistic, unworthy of Champions League finalists. The question is: who do those numbers damn - the manager or the club's owners, whose Messianic stadium project goes far beyond having a nice home for the football team. The new White Hart Lane is an entertainment complex and urban development project that asked Pochettino and his players to be happy with what they got.

Pochettino and Tottenham enjoyed incredible highs last season (including beating Ajax late on) but frustration was never far away for the manager CREDIT: ACTION IMAGES

Follow your club now for first access to all our news, views and analysis
Spurs
Architecture, though, does not carry you into the Champions League places, and when the inevitable frictions over contracts and wages developed real heat last season, Spurs were poorly-placed to use their Champions League final appearance as the launchpad for more success.
A day that should have been a breakthrough instead pitched them into a downward slide, with an obvious cooling of the relationship between players and manager. Once that goes, at a club playing relatively modest wages, you can say goodbye to the band-of-brothers ethos. Asking Tottenham's squad to compete with Man City and Liverpool's resources was fine until Levy and the owners kept players who wanted to leave and spent unconvincingly over the summer. No top team loses 18 games in 2019, is knocked out of the League Cup by Colchester and goes down 7-2 to Bayern Munich if there is harmony.As the story broke, Harry Redknapp, a former Tottenham manager, came on Sky Sports News to guarantee that Spurs will already have someone else lined up. "I know they spoke to [Carlo] Ancelotti when I was still at the club," Redknapp alleged.
Spurs fans, for the most part disgusted, if social media is any guide, can at least be sure Levy will look to protect the investment in the stadium by hiring a crowd-pleasing 'name.' Or, in Jose Mourinho's case, a crowd-silencing name. But in sacking the incumbent they ask another manager to perform a task that, in the end, defeated 'Poch': that of winning big for a club that fundamentally dislikes shovelling money into the top end of the transfer market.
They ask a lot of their managers, and quite why Pochettino went along so often with the buddy act with Levy is a question he will now have time to ponder. When he grumbled about the club not buying players, Pochettino often followed it up with praise for my-friend-Daniel. Too often for his own good he played the loyal servant going along with the party line. At other times he just seemed conflicted.
But the good news for him is that nobody will hold Tottenham's bizarre 2019 against him (Champions League final, disastrous league form). Instead they will line him up for the top jobs - Manchester United included, as they should. As for Kane, Spurs will have a tough time persuading him that everything will be fine now that Pochettino has gone. Levy is going to run out of people to kid.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyHarp

Hopefully Troy Parrott gets a move away as he wont get a look in with Jose.
That was never a square ball!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 20, 2019, 01:21:13 PM

He might play him at left back.

BennyCake

Walter Cronc

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 20, 2019, 01:21:13 PM

Was my first thought too. When has Jose ever played a 17/18 year old?!

Look at the young Chelsea lads thriving under Lampard. Says it all.