Rossies v Tyrone Hyde Park 13th July 5pm.

Started by giveballaghback, July 06, 2019, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

The fact remains that to call this Tyrone team negative/defensive is a joke, given the scores they rack up.

Jayop

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 12, 2019, 05:29:26 PM
The fact remains that to call this Tyrone team negative/defensive is a joke, given the scores they rack up.

Kicked 4:57 this year against 3 teams that have been D1 in the last two seasons, so as close to top level opposition as you get before this stage. An average of 22.7 points per game against that level of opposition.

I was going to compare all the teams left in the super 8 for games against D1 teams 2018/19 but the figures are all arse about foot on Wikipedia for this years Connacht Championship which they actually have Mayo down as winning. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship

Rossfan

Ros team named.
As started the last day except Hubert D in for the injured Conor Dev.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on July 12, 2019, 06:25:41 PM
Ros team named.
As started the last day except Hubert D in for the injured Conor Dev.
Team that was published.

Darren O'Malley - Michael Glaveys
David Murray - Padraig Pearses
Sean Mullooly - Strokestown
Conor Daly - Padraig Pearses
Niall Daly - Padraig Pearses
Conor Hussey - Michael Glaveys
Ronan Daly - Padraig Pearses
Tadgh O'Rourke - Tulsk
Shane Killoran - Elphin
Hubert Darcy - Padraig Pearses
Cathal Cregg - Western Gaels
Niall Kilroy - Fuerty
Diarmuid Murtagh - St Faithleachs
Conor Cox - Listowel Emmetts
Enda Smith - Boyle
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

weareros

Quote from: Jayop on July 12, 2019, 05:21:43 PM
Quote from: weareros on July 12, 2019, 05:13:59 PM
None of that stuff can be accurate lads. Sure off the top of my head and going down memory lane, in the 1980 championship Roscommon scored:

9-19 v London
1-14 v Galway
3-13 v Mayo
2-20 v Armagh
1-6 (ouch) v Kerry

That's an average of 24 points per game.

A total of 120 points.

The fact is that 220 points total is the top score of all time over a championship.  That's 27.5 PPG if you want to go down that road.

All these totals will be beat over and over again with more and more games being added to the championship. God forbid if a decent Dublin side got put out of Leinster in a quarter final having played in the prelim then they would be looking at playing 11 games up to an all-ireland final. They would smash these records again.

The Dublin one is that, yes. I do think it should be PPG if you are trying to make a case on offensive power. Don't get me wrong, Tyrone's PPG at 21 is seriously impressive. But against that, more games also mean that the good teams are just hammering a lot of bad teams along the way. Dublin may not get their first serious challenge this year until their game in Omagh (and even that could be two B teams out) - although I do hope both Cork and Ros can put it up to them. Many of the points in these records are of the shooting fish in a barrel variety.

Jayop

Quote from: weareros on July 12, 2019, 08:04:45 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 12, 2019, 05:21:43 PM
Quote from: weareros on July 12, 2019, 05:13:59 PM
None of that stuff can be accurate lads. Sure off the top of my head and going down memory lane, in the 1980 championship Roscommon scored:

9-19 v London
1-14 v Galway
3-13 v Mayo
2-20 v Armagh
1-6 (ouch) v Kerry

That's an average of 24 points per game.

A total of 120 points.

The fact is that 220 points total is the top score of all time over a championship.  That's 27.5 PPG if you want to go down that road.

All these totals will be beat over and over again with more and more games being added to the championship. God forbid if a decent Dublin side got put out of Leinster in a quarter final having played in the prelim then they would be looking at playing 11 games up to an all-ireland final. They would smash these records again.

The Dublin one is that, yes. I do think it should be PPG if you are trying to make a case on offensive power. Don't get me wrong, Tyrone's PPG at 21 is seriously impressive. But against that, more games also mean that the good teams are just hammering a lot of bad teams along the way. Dublin may not get their first serious challenge this year until their game in Omagh (and even that could be two B teams out) - although I do hope both Cork and Ros can put it up to them. Many of the points in these records are of the shooting fish in a barrel variety.

lol you literally included a 9:19 hammering over London in your example.

This year Tyrone have played 3 D1 teams from this year and last already and have averaged 22.7 points per game against as close to top tier opposition as you can face at this stage of the season. If you're going to remove shooting fish in a barrel then you'd want to define that and apply that same logic to all historical totals.

For example the highest PPG total for any team that I can find is Kerry in 1979* with 29.8, but they had a score of 9:21 against Clare in the Munster semi-final. Should we discount that?

*An amazing year for Kerry, they also put 5:14 on Monaghan in the AI semi final and 3:13 on the Dubs in the final....

Edit: I'll also add that you can't really adjust for any records and you just have to take them as they are. People are moaning about C O'C potentially beating Gooch's record this weekend with 30 odd games to spare saying he's padded the total against Leitrim, Sligo, New York and London. That is true, but Tyrone players get to play against Antrim, Derry these days, Fermanagh before they went mad defensive. Kerry play against a load of crap below too and the Dubs get to play every other team in Leinster.

Records are whatever they are, points are kicked, goals are scored and you have to take it as it is.

Rossfan

The day has arrived and hopefully we can send the Tyrones home with their tails between their legs sadder and wiser.
It will be a mammoth task for our lads.
Are they up to the task? Time will tell.
I'm cautiously optimistic at best and sure it might end up a draw.
Crowd limit of only 16,890, reduced due to  it being a General Admission free for all.
Meanwhile the Planning notice for the improvement works to the Hyde has been published in the papers so hopefully that process will go smoothly.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jayop

Sky sports coverage starting at 5 according to my box. Could that be right? No build up.

RedHand88

Quote from: Jayop on July 13, 2019, 01:48:03 PM
Sky sports coverage starting at 5 according to my box. Could that be right? No build up.

Coverage is available on the red button from 4pm.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I can't see the Rossies being able to raise it to the necessary levels Tír Eoghain have hit in the last two games, in particular, though, and however, I'll be the first to concede should they do so, in how I've called it so wrong.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Aaron Boone

The ratings in Britain last week were apparently abysmal.

RedHand88

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 13, 2019, 02:39:20 PM

The ratings in Britain last week were apparently abysmal.

Wouldn't read too much into the 7000 figure it whatever it was. Doesn't count those in pubs, or watching through NowTV. I'm sure there were more than 7000 watching in Ireland as well.

Jayop

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 13, 2019, 02:18:48 PM

Coverage is available on the red button from 4pm.

Cheers. On my dodgy box I have the pictures of the pre match but sound from motor sports.

theticklemister

GalwayBayBoy

Fish O Mania takes precedence.