2019 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 10, 2019, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

Stream seems to be working, but its deferred coverage

https://www.gaa.ie/gaa-now/

G@@

Great result. Hope Mossy Bruce got to see it even though there was a huge chunk of the game missing between 20 mins and 50 mins.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

smcder

Ruthless with our goal changes. Great to see. Anyone know why Conway for Kerry kept hitting the ball of the ground when running with it?

G@@

Quote from: smcder on June 08, 2019, 07:30:14 PM
Ruthless with our goal changes. Great to see. Anyone know why Conway for Kerry kept hitting the ball of the ground when running with it?
Because he could? He probably idolised DJ Carey as a chap growing up.

Nice to see all the goals from Laois, no doubt it's Eddie's influence there.

"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

G@@

There are interesting permutations about who will join Laois in the Final.

If Kerry beat Offaly and we beat Westmeath then there are three teams on four points: Westmeath, Antrim and Kerry. In this scenario scoring difference comes into play.

Westmeath are on +19
Antrim are on 0
Kerry are on -20

If Laois beat Westmeath by 19pts and Kerry beat Offaly by 20pts there would be some headache for the GAA!

Antrim will be hoping for a Kerry and a Laois win - but Laois to destroy Westmeath by 20pts at a minimum to see them progress.

Kerry likewise are looking for Laois to trash Westmeath and for themselves to trash Offaly to make the final.

Interesting games next weekend and for once there isn't an ounce of pressure on us. I presume that Brennan will make a few changes for the game as it is most likely to be a rehearsal for the final on June 30th.

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: G@@ on June 08, 2019, 07:51:18 PM
Quote from: smcder on June 08, 2019, 07:30:14 PM
Because he could? He probably idolised DJ Carey as a chap growing up.

Nice to see all the goals from Laois, no doubt it's Eddie's influence there.

Dont remember DJ doing that very often.

More likely that he was doing it because he had used his play of the ball and wanted to catch it again.
He did seem to do it early so maybe he was resetting his number of catches to zero to maximise how many plays of ball that he could make later in his run.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: G@@ on June 08, 2019, 04:48:46 PM
Great result. Hope Mossy Bruce got to see it even though there was a huge chunk of the game missing between 20 mins and 50 mins.
A Saturday couldn't be better!
1. My first grandchild was born! [I watched the full match later without knowing the result beforehand.]
2. I get to watch a full match of Laois hurling.
3. I get to watch Laois pulverize Kerry in Tralee.
4. Laois will be in the Joe McDonagh Cup Final!

It doesn't get better than this.  :D
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mossy Bruce

I'm thrilled at the depth of the panel that Laois is developing.

So, a dumb question from a spectator way out wesht--how does Laois cultivate a strong second-string goalie if another lad isn't sub'd in there every once in awhile. We'd be foooked if Enda Rowland got injured.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

redsetanta

Brilliant win and we continue to score goals which was a huge problem even under Cheddar. Can't wait for June 30th to see these lads in Croke Park.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

How will Eddie approach Saturday's match against Westmeath?

Obviously we will want to win but not at any cost. Will he give lads a run? Will he try to build momentum? Will we play a different style so as not to teach WH ahead of the final? It's a tough one.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 10, 2019, 11:21:08 AM
...Will we play a different style so as not to teach WH ahead of the final?...

This is the approach I would chose--and get some new lads on the pitch to gain some experience.

In my opinion, it would be okay win by a point or two, draw, or lose by a point or two so as to not give Westmeath too much to go on as to what to expect from Laois in the Final.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

MasterJ

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on June 10, 2019, 07:07:01 PM

This is the approach I would chose--and get some new lads on the pitch to gain some experience.

In my opinion, it would be okay win by a point or two, draw, or lose by a point or two so as to not give Westmeath too much to go on as to what to expect from Laois in the Final.

I dont agree.If we lose, we lose momentum and give Westmeath momentum.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: MasterJ on June 10, 2019, 07:19:17 PM
Quote from: Mossy Bruce on June 10, 2019, 07:07:01 PM

I dont agree.If we lose, we lose momentum and give Westmeath momentum.
You are right. Momentum is important but so is doubt. Westmeath have yet to play Laois under Mr. Brennan. Other than watching video of this year’s past Laois matches, Westmeath have nothing to go on. They haven’t met Laois shoulder to shoulder, yet. If Laois play a number of new lads, this Saturday, Westmeath still won’t be sure who their real opposition will be for the Final. Even if they win by a point or so this Saturday, there will be doubt within them as to what to expect in the match that really counts. Understand, I am not saying let them mop up the pitch with us.

Also, by getting some new lads out there to gain some real intercounty experience, it will strengthen the panel even more for the upcoming Final and possibly the Leinster Quarter-Finals.

Sometimes, it is a good strategy to concede a battle if it will increase your chances of winning the war.

Anyway, no more than an opinion from this spectator.  :)

P.S. I remember when Laois played a strong match against Galway in the NHL in late January. I read a lot about the Galway line-up being second- and third-string players. This left me with a lot of doubt about how strong or weak Galway really was—and how strong Laois really was. Let’s do that to Westmeath.

LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mossy Bruce

It's time for the GAA to scrap the provincial structure
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0610/1054518-its-time-for-the-gaa-to-scrap-the-provincial-structure/

"There's automatic promotion and relegation between Leinster and the Joe McDonagh if the winner is from Leinster or is Antrim...

How's that fair? The answer is that it's not and it's a situation that will create a small number of yo-yo teams, probably Carlow, Westmeath and Laois, that will bounce between the two competitions, not spending more than a year in the top tier."
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

redsetanta

Hard to know what's the best strategy for Westmeath. I think eddie will go with more of the same and go for goals whenever possible. It's great to have competition for places and that strengthens teams. Being able to bring in Foyle and Picky against Kerry was a big boost. When you have lads like that fighting for places standards won't drop. It's great for Laois hurling that these lads stayed training hard even without a starting place. In other times lads would leave the panel.

Beat Westmeath on Saturday and plan for the final. Westmeath have a knack of upsetting the form book (e.g. Antrim at the weekend) but we're in a good place this year.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi