China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: bannside on March 30, 2020, 04:44:57 PM
I have a business contact in the UK who has just purchased 250,000 test kits for self diagnosis. Pin p***k results in ten minutes. Sent me all the info as hes putting it out through his direct sale team. All properly certified by most stringent European standards.

Hes a businessman who isn't making money by his core business but has stepped in to assist supply chain (because he can) and make a small ( not extortionate by any means) that will help sustain his business in the short term.

Not sure whether or not to get involved in this because there are a few people profiteering...albeit not massively....but then again so the question is....is there any harm in it?

Just using here as a testing board for opinions on this thing. As caprice guide....I can buy these kits around £12 and have been advised to RRP at circa £15.

Should I get involved, ethically is it ok to make a few pounds by doing this? At the minute I'm seeing two sides of a same coin?

seems fine to me, isn't exactly Randox margins
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Armamike

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 30, 2020, 05:35:08 PM
Quote from: Armamike on March 30, 2020, 05:22:38 PM
Anyone on here with symptoms yet?

I have been diagnosed with this
`` uxoricide `` brought on by lock-down apparently.

Common enough.
That's just, like your opinion man.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Armamike on March 30, 2020, 05:42:32 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 30, 2020, 05:35:08 PM
Quote from: Armamike on March 30, 2020, 05:22:38 PM
Anyone on here with symptoms yet?

I have been diagnosed with this
`` uxoricide `` brought on by lock-down apparently.

Common enough.

in fairness shes grand, shes even helping in the garden
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 30, 2020, 05:01:12 PM

Whichever company comes up with the vaccination for this and someone will, they aren't going to give it to the world for free you can be sure. They'll be heralded as genius whilst they milk a Government, whom in turn will make us pay for it via taxation.

We'll have to pay a lot less taxation in this case than if the pandemic continues.

QuoteOn another note I am relatively optimistic they'll get the vaccination sorted, the whole of the worlds genius is now on it - the human body has proven it has the ability to beat the riddle. Now for the human mind to figure out. I think human testing has already started in Europe.

The direction of genius towards a limited set of objectives can bring notable results, look at how technologies were developed during the second world war.

Reported elsewhere that the US government was going to manufacture a vaccine in parallel with the testing of it. This makes sense, even if the vaccine was not perfect it might be good for a lot of people, even if the testing showed that you could not give it to people with certain conditions.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

Quote from: bannside on March 30, 2020, 05:35:22 PM
Ok Gallsman hardly salivating in fact I could give this a miss quite easily.... but I think the jury is out......a couple of people have PM'd me already to say they would take a dozen, one wants eight, just for either family members or staff for peace of mind. If I can help offer them that, should I not do this.

I'm a bit out of my depth here, good chance I'll not get involved.

By all means your should. Whether you should profit from it is a different question entirely.

bannside

Tell me this then.....

If mainstream pharmacies have access to this exact same product in a week or ten days....which is not unlikely....and they buy it at £6 and sell it at £12 and there is a huge demand for it....are you going to say they are robbing cnuts or are they providing a service at a fair price and keeping thousands of people employed?

quit yo jibbajabba

My tuppence - work away Bannside. At £3 a pop profit yous arent exactly puttin the arm in

gallsman

Quote from: bannside on March 30, 2020, 06:04:01 PM
Tell me this then.....

If mainstream pharmacies have access to this exact same product in a week or ten days....which is not unlikely....and they buy it at £6 and sell it at £12 and there is a huge demand for it....are you going to say they are robbing cnuts or are they providing a service at a fair price and keeping thousands of people employed?

Again, where have I said anything about this?

You asked a question. If you don't like the answer (evidently one you anticipated) then don't ask it in the first place. Go ahead, make your profit, but don't be kidding yourself it's at all ethical.

Given we're talking about ethics here, I can only assume you'll be documenting all this, giving everyone receipts, charging your zero rated VAT and paying your tax on the profits. Good lad.

RedHand88

Take it to Twitter lads.

mayoman dan

How long do ye reckon all this social distancing will last?? Im still working away in 1 of the large supermarkets so im lucky enough i still have a wage coming in although myself and others have had to fight hard for some measures to protect us while at work.Some are saying 6 weeks and others are saying 6 months.???

armaghniac

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 30, 2020, 06:33:22 PM
How long do ye reckon all this social distancing will last?? Im still working away in 1 of the large supermarkets so im lucky enough i still have a wage coming in although myself and others have had to fight hard for some measures to protect us while at work.Some are saying 6 weeks and others are saying 6 months.???

The lockdown won't last 6 months, but some of the social distancing might. So most shops will be open etc but packing people in, queues etc will not be allowed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

There is probably a good chance that it will be lifted a bit down the line and then be reinstated when a new cycle of infections starts.

China will be a test run.

mayoman dan

The lockdown won't last 6 months, but some of the social distancing might. So most shops will be open etc but packing people in, queues etc will not be allowed.
[/quote]

Thats not a bad thing for me as our workplace is like a cattlemart on most days.

bannside

Are you insinuating in any way that there will be any doubtful financial practice going on?? The company behind this is fully regulated,  as a service product VAT will be charged unless you're from ROI.

Give me your opinion on this Gallsman as you are the only single negative voice on this so far! Sorry I'm not on Twitter either.

Let's take  my boss the man who decided weeks ago to purchase these self test kits is looking back on his "enterprise" in a few months when/if things settle down.

He will hopefully have sold 250,000 kits and made netting one pound on each after tax postage employees etc. Of the self assessment kits let's say 1/10 - that's  25 thousand people get a positive diagnosis a week earlier than they normally would, and 1/100 of those who did so (that's 250) lives were saved because not only did they act early, but are well slept well got their immune systems strong, avoided absolutely everyone, etc, etc.

I'd say this particular businessman acted wisely and with decent morality and in not only keeping his company viable going forward played a big part in saving 250 people.

Do you think those 250 people and their families will think he was profiteering by making netting £1 out of each sale????

Just saying I think you're very quick assumption on the matter is on the wrong side of opinion here Gallsman.

Having said that I'm still prob not going to get involved...might pass on a lead or two that's about it.

RedHand88

Quote from: J70 on March 30, 2020, 06:44:50 PM
There is probably a good chance that it will be lifted a bit down the line and then be reinstated when a new cycle of infections starts.

China will be a test run.

This is what I'm hearing through my job. It will be on and off for a year or so.