China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

So if you have a VPN and set location to Italy... ?🤔
Asking for a friend like....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on March 12, 2020, 07:25:27 PM
FWIW i find it impossible to believe that the expertise of Irish scientists and biochemists could be at the level of their UK counterparts. That's just a numbers game: the UK will invest more money and resources into things like this.

It isn't really a question of "my expert knows more than your expert". It is a question of understanding the situation in your own country and applying a lot of advice from the WHO and the ECDC.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

At this rate there will be more people bankrupt than dead!

I'm joking please don't attack me
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LeoMc

Quote from: armaghniac on March 12, 2020, 07:46:19 PM
FWIW i find it impossible to believe that the expertise of Irish scientists and biochemists could be at the level of their UK counterparts. That's just a numbers game: the UK will invest more money and resources into things like this.

It isn't really a question of "my expert knows more than your expert". It is a question of understanding the situation in your own country and applying a lot of advice from the WHO and the ECDC.
Is it not a case that the UK are listening to different experts, they are going with the Sociologists in Dominic Cummings brains trust who don't want people panicking or getting bored in isolation.

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on March 12, 2020, 04:30:03 PM
Is Mass cancelled yet?

yes, more or less.
Funerals and weddings can still proceed with less than 100 people and separation in the church.

Parishes encouraged to exploit electronic means.

Itchy

Quote from: BennyCake on March 12, 2020, 07:18:17 PM
DUP happy to put thousands at risk rather than admit an all-ireland approach makes sense. Even at a time like this, they grab onto their union flag.

And your confirmation bias means you are much more likely to make Ireland right, and the UK wrong, in any subjective disagreement on policy between the two.

But FWIW I also find it impossible to believe that a Uk government would unilaterally accept the recommendations of scientists. Or an Irish government for that matter. Or any government.

The WHO told Ireland what to do,  France is also going the same. The uk is the outlier. The same uk that let Cheltenham go ahead. The advice is the same, it's a question of whether you value life more than money.

mayoman dan

Quote from: armaghniac on March 12, 2020, 07:55:27 PM
Is Mass cancelled yet?

yes, more or less.
Funerals and weddings can still proceed with less than 100 people and separation in the church.

Not true.I know of 2 weddings taking place over the weekend with far more than 100 people attending and both are still going ahead as planned

bennydorano

Among a lot of other factors the UK are kicking the can down the road a bit trying to ready the NHS after a decade + of Austerity. UK v ROI is 60m population v 5m.

armaghniac

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 12, 2020, 08:08:41 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 12, 2020, 07:55:27 PM
Is Mass cancelled yet?

yes, more or less.

Not true.I know of 2 weddings taking place over the weekend with far more than 100 people attending and both are still going ahead as planned

These church guidelines are only out a couple of hours, give people the chance to catch up.

Quote from: bennydorano on March 12, 2020, 08:21:02 PM
Among a lot of other factors the UK are kicking the can down the road a bit trying to ready the NHS after a decade + of Austerity. UK v ROI is 60m population v 5m.

Readying the NHS is one thing, but if the number of cases grows beyond a certain point it will be overwhelmed.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on March 12, 2020, 08:21:02 PM
The Tories ran the NHS down over the last decade. The UK has fewer ICU beds per capita than Germany and France. Covid 19 is about respirators and ICU capacity.

Johnson fought the election on law and order, getting Brexit done and the NHS.  He is on a very shaky scraw.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thewobbler

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 12, 2020, 08:46:02 PM
DUP happy to put thousands at risk rather than admit an all-ireland approach makes sense. Even at a time like this, they grab onto their union flag.

And your confirmation bias means you are much more likely to make Ireland right, and the UK wrong, in any subjective disagreement on policy between the two.

But FWIW I also find it impossible to believe that a Uk government would unilaterally accept the recommendations of scientists. Or an Irish government for that matter. Or any government.

Paragraph One: Accuse someone of confirmation bias.

Paragraphs Two & Three: Display your own confirmation bias!  ;D ;)

Fionn in my defence I'm fully aware that I'm guilty! Which is why (I hope) you'll find I spend my time arguing with people who deal in absolutes. Like a couple of them on this thread.

weareros

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 12, 2020, 07:22:13 PM

And Sinn féin

Michele O'Neill's statement with Arlene is going to be tough on some Sinn Fein supporters criticising Leo for not acting fast enough. They will now have to change tune and say he acted too hasty. For added impact, trying to make a name for himself in Washington, a shill for the EU, etc etc.

For the record, here is the Sinn Fein statement: "We have a situation here in the north where we are not at the stage yet where that closing schools is a decision we want to take now. We are guided by the science."

And we want these people running the island?

imtommygunn

Quote from: laoislad on March 12, 2020, 07:40:00 PM

;D

What the hell is it with people and toilet roll >:(

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 12, 2020, 09:16:41 PM

;D

Some people are full of sh | te

From the Bunker

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 12, 2020, 10:11:45 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 12, 2020, 09:16:41 PM
So if you have a VPN and set location to Italy... ?

;D

Worth remembering that if your local shop is out of bog roll, copies of The Sun can be purchased for 55p/€1.10.

I'd wipe my arse with a €5 note before i'd contribute 55p/€1.10 to that Rag!