Two questions re 1989 All-Ireland football final

Started by CompulsoryTillager, September 16, 2009, 10:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CompulsoryTillager

Who was the Mayo captain and who refereed it? Must put a caption on a picture and only know Dinny Allen!

Edit: I think the Mayo captain was Jimmy Browne was it?

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Shamrock Shore

Ah - Dinny and his reference to "da crow's nisht" in his acceptance speech.

Clown.

Barney

Jimmy Browne of Ballina Stephenites was indeed the captain that year. However he was injured in the Connacht Final and Eugene Lavin picked up the Cup.

Paddy Collins reffed the game, and did a good job from I remember. It was classed as one of the best All ireland Finals at the time.

Shamrock Shore

After the grim battles (apologies Hardy et al) associated with the Cork/Meath affairs and the tail end of the Dublin v Kerry affairs (apologies to Tyrones of 1986) the 1989 final was like a breath of fresh air. It was the best final since 1982 at the time.

Billys Boots

Was tha the final that young Fitzmaurice kicked away for Mayo?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

dodo

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 16, 2009, 01:06:07 PM

Remembered more for 'Larry' Finnerty missing a goal chance, he scored one as well after coming on as a sub puffing and panting.

Shamrock Shore

cornafean

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

RogerMilla

Quote from: dodo on September 16, 2009, 01:16:40 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on September 16, 2009, 01:06:07 PM

Remembered more for 'Larry' Finnerty missing a goal chance, he scored one as well after coming on as a sub puffing and panting.

I'll never forget it , was on the hill , the roar for the goal and the roar and groan for the missed chance..

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 16, 2009, 01:18:34 PM
Classic mullet on Finnerty as I recall  :D

think larry had more of a perm than a mullett SS :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

dodo

Have a look here to see the 2 Larry moments and his beautifully constructed hairstyle. The very start is the one he scored, go to about 6min. 20 seconds for the one that..ahem...got away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B49gQV0zP00

Mayo never scored from the 18th minute of the second half onwards whereas Cork scored 4 points and kicked wide after wide.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: T Fearon on September 16, 2009, 02:14:06 PM
Remember being there as well, and sitting beside a man from Skib who knew a family I know from Portadown.

Great memories, Willie Joe, Finnerty, Kevin Mc Stay, Dermot Flanagan  and all, then of course there was Dinny Allen having a go at "the shower from RTE in the crows nest" in his victory speech. Wonder what he would say to-day about the likes of Spillane etc?

what was his reason for that Tf?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Billys Boots

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 16, 2009, 01:36:19 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 16, 2009, 01:18:34 PM
Classic mullet on Finnerty as I recall  :D

think larry had more of a perm than a mullett SS :D

I recall the hair had all the 'classic' elements of both 'styles'.  ;D  Larry went on to own a chipper in Carraroe.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Tubberman

QuoteI think he felt that RTE had been giving Cork a raw deal and blaming them mostly for the "war" with Meath the previous year.

PS I am definitely an unlucky omen as far as Mayo is concerned. They lost that final and the 1996 and 2004 finals, all of which I was it.

You're not going Sunday are you??  :-[
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."