Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann in row over Derry Bid to hold Fleadh

Started by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe, January 06, 2012, 05:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

The Derry City Branch of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann are tabling a bid to host the Fleadh in Derry City in 2013 as part of the UK city of culture bid. It has failed to date because it hasnt been backed at county level. Any thoughts?

Ulick

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Ulick

Armagh would be a great venue, full of culture and tradition, perfect size, good venues and everyone would get a warm welcome. There was talk of an Armagh bid in the late 90s but was deferred as Warrenpoint was seen as the preferred northern venue.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Ulick on January 06, 2012, 05:20:56 PM
Armagh would be a great venue, full of culture and tradition, perfect size, good venues and everyone would get a warm welcome. There was talk of an Armagh bid in the late 90s but was deferred as Warrenpoint was seen as the preferred northern venue.
[/quote

Bíodh ciall agat! Sure its full of smugglers, people with buckfast addictions, a culture of violence and a tradition of making everyone convinced that orange is a repulsive colour

Denn Forever

Is it not going to Derry as part of the City of Culture in 2013.

Thats what we were told but Cavan would be delghted to have it for another year.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 06, 2012, 05:30:01 PM

Thats what we were told but Cavan would be delghted to have it for another year.

Wouldnt mind if you got it-I always liked Cavan

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

The Derry bid has hit a bump in the road. They couldnt get full county support because of the UK element. Some of the South Derry branches couldnt support it for this reason

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 06, 2012, 05:34:06 PM

The Derry bid has hit a bump in the road. They couldnt get full county support because of the UK element. Some of the South Derry branches couldnt support it for this reason
They're just right! Is the Fleadh not normally held in small towns?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 06, 2012, 05:35:27 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 06, 2012, 05:34:06 PM

They're just right! Is the Fleadh not normally held in small towns?

Not too sure it has got anything to do with size but i do agree that small/medium sized towns may be better suited. If Derry did get it it would be probably centred around a dozen bars near the city centre to replicate the smaller town feel

Orior

Quote from: Ulick on January 06, 2012, 05:13:26 PM
Too many arsewipes in Derry, wouldn't make a good venue.

Has anyone tried that recyled toilet paper?

It sounds awful but probably okay on the whole. Bum bum!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Orior on January 06, 2012, 06:09:00 PM
Quote from: Ulick on January 06, 2012, 05:13:26 PM
Too many arsewipes in Derry, wouldn't make a good venue.

Has anyone tried that recyled toilet paper?

It sounds awful but probably okay on the whole. Bum bum!

Haven't tried it. But it has to be better than the Sun Newspaper. We used to use that, but it was awful when it crushed up into a hard point and jabbed you arse- wile sore.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Sligo and Ennis were the other two possibilities mentioned on the news for the 2013 Fleadh.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Minder

@StandUp4Derry

Another step closer to securing All Ireland Fleadh in Derry 2013:  Proposal passed at tonight`s meeting in Culturlann to go to next stage
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Minder on January 18, 2012, 10:16:09 PM
@StandUp4Derry

Another step closer to securing All Ireland Fleadh in Derry 2013:  Proposal passed at tonight`s meeting in Culturlann to go to next stage

Caught the end of a couple of Derry wans arguing about it on RTE radio this morning.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead