Potterin' about...

Started by thejuice, March 07, 2017, 11:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Like my Dad I'm probably at my most content doing a bit of work round the house or in local parlance "potterin' about the place". Just doing a bit to keep her shipshape and to stop herself staging a mutiny. Happy as Larry fixing stuff up and it's a good excuse to head down to the hardware shop with the young lad and talk about tools and the like.

I have to say cutting the grass has to be the best job or anything in the garden, followed by fixing anything electrical though there is little of that I can do properly. Worst jobs for me is hanging shelves and washing the car. Ever since we moved into a plasterboard house shelf hanging had been a pain. The house is now held together by polyfiller. As for the car, I'm happy to let it get dirty enough to grow moss on it then take it down the garage. There's lads up the road from me washing theirs every weekend. Couldn't be doing that, the garage can have my £3 every few months.

Any one else do a bit of potterin' about?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Milltown Row2

Love it but it only gets half done or never the done by the manual, which cracks her up but I'm happy!! I'll look for compliments but never get them!! Saved a fortune I'd say!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Windmill abu

You must have the laptop taped to your lawnmower to allow you to potter about while maintaining an active online persona
Never underestimate the power of complaining

laoislad

Quote from: thejuice on March 07, 2017, 11:04:22 PM
Like my Dad I'm probably at my most content doing a bit of work round the house or in local parlance "potterin' about the place". Just doing a bit to keep her shipshape and to stop herself staging a mutiny. Happy as Larry fixing stuff up and it's a good excuse to head down to the hardware shop with the young lad and talk about tools and the like.

I have to say cutting the grass has to be the best job or anything in the garden, followed by fixing anything electrical though there is little of that I can do properly. Worst jobs for me is hanging shelves and washing the car. Ever since we moved into a plasterboard house shelf hanging had been a pain. The house is now held together by polyfiller. As for the car, I'm happy to let it get dirty enough to grow moss on it then take it down the garage. There's lads up the road from me washing theirs every weekend. Couldn't be doing that, the garage can have my £3 every few months.

Any one else do a bit of potterin' about?
Fellas like you keep fellas like me in a job...Thanks.

Love cutting the grass myself, though it takes me all of five mins in Dublin. Where I grew up it took me about an hour and a half. The aul fella bought a ride on lawnmower a few years back but all we had when I was young was a push lawnmower.
I do everything in my house from servicing the boiler to painting to a bit of plumbing or whatever.  Wouldn't let anyone in to do a job I can do myself.
The main bathroom is next on my list for a complete overhaul.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2017, 11:10:35 PM
Love it but it only gets half done or never the done by the manual, which cracks her up but I'm happy!! I'll look for compliments but never get them!! Saved a fortune I'd say!
I'm not one for manuals but she'll read them cover to cover. The oven isn't working so I took the panel off the cooker the other day and when put back together there was a spare screw. Drove her mad  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 07, 2017, 11:33:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2017, 11:10:35 PM
I'm not one for manuals but she'll read them cover to cover. The oven isn't working so I took the panel off the cooker the other day and when put back together there was a spare screw. Drove her mad  ;D

Dishwasher needed fixed few years ago I went to Maplan on Boucher rd got panel for it, unscrewed the old one replaced it, was all chuffed until one screw fell down inside the door panel!! Was never coming out and every time the door opened and closed it made a crunching noise !!

Oven door came off and I got new one, fixed it back on but it was never right! Got to the point where I was the only one who could open and close the bloody thing! They all laugh when I get the tool bag out to fix something!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

I'm a useless hoor. Have plenty of mates who are all tradesmen of some description, so it's been mate's rates for any jobs I've ever needed done. Gardening is about the only thing I don't f**k up, although I'm seriously considering painting the house (indoor) over the Easter holidays.

Farrandeelin

Hate the thought of cutting the lawn. Then again it takes over an hour to do the 4 of them, plus the biggest one is on the side of a hill. Once I get going, I don't mind it though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

johnneycool

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 08, 2017, 09:14:55 AM
Hate the thought of cutting the lawn. Then again it takes over an hour to do the 4 of them, plus the biggest one is on the side of a hill. Once I get going, I don't mind it though.

Just an hour, 2 to 3 for me depending on the yield.

I'd tackle most things, changed the cartridges on the kitchen taps the other week, have changed the washing machine drum seal and fitted a few outside lights. I'm not a big fan of painting but will blast away at it if needs be.

Walter Cronc

I thought 'potterin about' was things women do when they go off to the shops for an hour or two whilst you go to the pub!

Added caveat of this taking place on holidays!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: johnneycool on March 08, 2017, 09:41:03 AM

Just an hour, 2 to 3 for me depending on the yield.

I'd tackle most things, changed the cartridges on the kitchen taps the other week, have changed the washing machine drum seal and fitted a few outside lights. I'm not a big fan of painting but will blast away at it if needs be.
Wouldn't leave them too long to be honest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

lurganblue

I'm the same. hate cutting the grass.  Takes over an hour and there is bastid of a hill.  I've now also dog sh*te to contend with.

I'm useless at everything.  Tried to put sealant round the shower there recently and even made a balls of that lol.  Only other thing i'm reasonably decent at is painting (inside).  Well practiced at that now by this stage.

OakleafCounty

Love gardening when I get the time for it. Did a home maintenance night class a few years ago but forget most of what I was taught at this stage. Managed to tile the kitchen walls and change a couple of lights myself so at least I got something out of it.

screenexile

The previous owner of my house had the garden looking great with shrubs and a rose patch all kinds of small bushes and flowers around the place. I've tried to keep it looking OK but it's gone to ruin at this stage I think he was at it the whole time where I get at it maybe once every 2/3 weeks at best in the spring summertime.

I don't know what to do with it. Tempted to pull the whole shebang out and put grass on it although the Mrs would probably kill me if I did!

I hate gardening and powerwashing!!

blewuporstuffed

I hate cutting the lawn too, I get quite bad hay fever so its a sneezing match for hours after im finished. :-[
I quite enjoy most other DIY jobs though, i would try and turn my hand to most things.
I would never get someone else in to do it if i thought I could do it myself, my dad would always been the same.
Massive contrast to the womans house where they would call in a electrician/plumber/ joiner or whatever to do even the smallest of jobs.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either