26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

to save you the drama, and you can take this to paddypower and earn from it.

ff a minimum of 50
fg a maximum of 42....will be savaged in rural seats.
independents will surprise again, 25+

sf about 18/19
labour may return with 7...lose a couple and gain elsewhere
aontu 1...peadar retains.
greens a max of 10.

big name casualties....eoghan murphy(nap...one of the two fgs in DBS will lose and kate o Connell could be more transfer friendly), Regina Doherty,  and in my own heartland, Charlie Tanagan is in trouble as FG might only take 1 of the 5 and the territorial make up of Laois/Offaly does not favour him.

on the gaa front, the new chairman of Louth, Peter Fitz could prove a surprise packet and return again as an independent and confound the pundits who are dismissing him.

and in case Seafoid is asking, the above prediction is neutral because no party in Ireland represent my politics, the governing PIS party in Poland is my currency. My vote will therefore be going to a GAA man and Offaly Indo John Leahy, a man with the balls to question the new plantation of Ireland.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/kathy-sheridan-election-will-expose-fault-lines-in-irish-democracy-1.4139648

« As we go into election mode, this country is more fragile than we imagined.

Good luck to all the decent ones who dream of something better. »
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

This from a now defunct blog called comharsdc.ie written in 2010

"Support politicians who are willing to read, to understand complexity, and the tradeoffs involved, and to communicate choices and decisions effectively.
There is a tendency in all democracies to disparage the 'political class' and to deride all politicians as being simultaneously venal, incompetent and dishonest."

magpie seanie

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on January 15, 2020, 12:42:34 AM
to save you the drama, and you can take this to paddypower and earn from it.

ff a minimum of 50
fg a maximum of 42....will be savaged in rural seats.
independents will surprise again, 25+

sf about 18/19
labour may return with 7...lose a couple and gain elsewhere
aontu 1...peadar retains.
greens a max of 10.

big name casualties....eoghan murphy(nap...one of the two fgs in DBS will lose and kate o Connell could be more transfer friendly), Regina Doherty,  and in my own heartland, Charlie Tanagan is in trouble as FG might only take 1 of the 5 and the territorial make up of Laois/Offaly does not favour him.

on the gaa front, the new chairman of Louth, Peter Fitz could prove a surprise packet and return again as an independent and confound the pundits who are dismissing him.

and in case Seafoid is asking, the above prediction is neutral because no party in Ireland represent my politics, the governing PIS party in Poland is my currency. My vote will therefore be going to a GAA man and Offaly Indo John Leahy, a man with the balls to question the new plantation of Ireland.

You need to grow up and take a look at yourself if you think this is an issue or even real. Seriously.

seafoid

Climate change is happening so I would expect a lot of younger people to vote for the Greens.
I really wonder if enough voters are prepared to forgive FF for 2008 and the bank guarantee. 

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on January 15, 2020, 10:46:19 AM
Climate change is happening so I would expect a lot of younger people to vote for the Greens.
I really wonder if enough voters are prepared to forgive FF for 2008 and the bank guarantee.

People should be voting Green as they're the only one who seem to get the climate crisis.

I suspect there are a lot of ex-FF supporters who will be emboldened to return to FF after Leo and co's shenanigans - homelessness and the health service being at all time lows when "the economy has never been better". Never mind the recent commemoration fiasco. Must also be remembered, Varadkar facilitated Johnson's re-election. He allowed him a lifeline when he was "dead in a ditch" by agreeing to a new deal. This has been lost on many people but it should be noted. Varadkar is pretty much a Tory.

weareros

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 15, 2020, 11:29:13 AM

People should be voting Green as they're the only one who seem to get the climate crisis.

I suspect there are a lot of ex-FF supporters who will be emboldened to return to FF after Leo and co's shenanigans - homelessness and the health service being at all time lows when "the economy has never been better". Never mind the recent commemoration fiasco. Must also be remembered, Varadkar facilitated Johnson's re-election. He allowed him a lifeline when he was "dead in a ditch" by agreeing to a new deal. This has been lost on many people but it should be noted. Varadkar is pretty much a Tory.

Not sure why that is a negative Seanie. He forced Boris into a border in the Irish Sea, and the closest the island has come to economic integration in our lifetime. Boris got elected, cast DUP adrift, and quickly copperfastened the deal.. That to me was one of the best performances by a Taoiseach on the international stage. It should not be forgotten that the health and housing crisis have their origins in the last FF government, or have we forgotten. FG have made a very poor fist at fixing but not easy fix Martin's creation no matter what money you throw at.

five points

Climate change always happens. The current panic will attract votes for the Greens from gullible youngsters who haven't seen it all before, along with disaffected leftwingers attracted by their watermelon politics.

five points

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on January 15, 2020, 12:42:34 AM

I expect both Eoghan Murphy and Regina Doherty to lose.

Murphy's constituency (the old Dublin South East) has form in kicking out underperforming Ministers.

Helen McEntee is losing a big part of her catchment area to Cavan-Monaghan and should in theory be in bother but the McEntee brand is strong in Meath and that will I think squeeze Doherty.

I know nothing about Charlie Flanagan's chances but he did lose his seat before and Laois and Offaly have a seat less this time.

Itchy

I fundamentally disagree with this point. Foe example, the quickest way to reduce emissions in Nuclear but will the greens even consider that? No. So they have their own little ideology and I think that they will be the last people to make a real change. Look at the balls they made out of car tax (emissions vrs engine size vre 2008), what sort of f**k acting was that.

five points

Must also be remembered, Varadkar facilitated Johnson's re-election. He allowed him a lifeline when he was "dead in a ditch" by agreeing to a new deal. This has been lost on many people but it should be noted. Varadkar is pretty much a Tory.

The idea that Varadkar won Johnson a landslide 80-seats majority is funny.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Itchy on January 15, 2020, 01:41:13 PM

I fundamentally disagree with this point. Foe example, the quickest way to reduce emissions in Nuclear but will the greens even consider that? No. So they have their own little ideology and I think that they will be the last people to make a real change. Look at the balls they made out of car tax (emissions vrs engine size vre 2008), what sort of f**k acting was that.

Can you work out why they'd be against it?

"their own little ideology" - this is scientific fact. If you don't accept science that's your prerogative but in my opinion it's not a very tenable position. I for one do not want to leave my kids in a world that is irretrievably damaged which is what will happen if we don't act now. Ignorance is no defense. The facts are out there.

magpie seanie

Quote from: five points on January 15, 2020, 01:46:33 PM
Must also be remembered, Varadkar facilitated Johnson's re-election. He allowed him a lifeline when he was "dead in a ditch" by agreeing to a new deal. This has been lost on many people but it should be noted. Varadkar is pretty much a Tory.

The idea that Varadkar won Johnson a landslide 80-seats majority is funny.

You clearly can't read.