2018 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 20, 2018, 11:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on June 05, 2018, 08:31:24 PM
I'm curious--has anyone heard from any of the hurlers, themselves, as to what they think went wrong this year?

Eamon Kelly thats what went wrong

A spoofer
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

It's time the hurling clubs come together and have a go at the CB if the will is there. It can only driven by the members and it will take someone with a bit of inititiave to get it started. Without the support and numbers from the clubs there will be no pressure on the CB to do anything.
If there is a will there is a way.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Andy06

Well this article is far from re-assuring!
http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/286158

Basically Kelly telling us (and not the first time this year) he has no idea how they are losing games.
Like what sort of idiot, even for himself, comes out with this sort of stuff "Yeh havent a baldies how we lost that 10 point game".
The fact that he is utterly clueless to spot where the issues are is absolutely damning. He needs to be jettisoned as soon as this campaign is done.

redsetanta

Sounds a bit like previous senior football managers.

If kelly doesn't know how about interviewing some of his back room team. Someone should be able to throw light on the subject.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

vetoldthe

WELL said jack, THEY ARE A BLOODY DISGRACE.

Giovanni

I prefer not to be too critical but it's really shameful to see how the county board responded to Cheddar's initiatives.

If you're managing a progressive company, you're begging for someone to make plans, take initiatives, be innovative and do things properly. Cheddar did all that for free and spent a lot of his own money in the process. He proves what is possible with relatively modest resources. Then he goes to "management" and looks for more. He gets agreement from Croke Park but he gets the run from the county board. Honestly, I cannot think of any other walk of life where you might get such perversion.

For a small hurling county, we're absolutely blessed to have people of the calibre of Cheddar, Pat Critchley, Paul Cuddy and a few more. The minor management team this year had their team very well prepared too. We have good people. But if they're not being supported by "management", then we might as well throw our hat at it. If they are relegated to Christy Ring, which is a distinct possibility, there should be nothing left but for the county board to resign en masse.

clonadmad

Lads does anyone here have a copy of what Cheddar was actually proposing in his plan?.

blueandwhite1

The county board see managers as very important people. When the hurling team play poorly they blame the manager, sack him, appoint a committee and eventually announce a new manager. Everyone then moves on and the county board is happy for another year. The role of the manager is therefore to take the fall for the CB. Hurling is secondary.

If you take the above, slightly tongue in cheek argument to it's fruition, you could say that the role of the county board is to take the fall for the clubs. The county board are elected by the clubs to do the bidding of the clubs. When everything is crap, we then put it on the useless ineffective has-beens that we have appointed.

This won't be solved without the clubs having a combined ambition for hurling in the county. The first thing they need to do is put an autonomous hurling board together with capability. Beg Cheddar to chair it and give him complete authority and independent funding. Wouldn't it be great to see the likes of Pat Critchley, Paul Cuddy, Enda Lyons, Joe Dollard and Willie Hyland running hurling development in Laois rather than what we have had to put up with.

The clubs also need to stand up and get top class coaches at all age groups. There are some incredible lads who give great time to their clubs but the don't necessarily have the skills and experience to build skill levels between 8-14 years of age when motor skills are developed. Arguably, if you miss this formative period in the development of a hurler you are done. It has been a constant bug-bear of minor managers over the years that they are getting lads at 16 / 17 and have to coach skills that should be long established with sub-optimal results. I have personally yet to see a lad who was an ok hurler at that age turn into a super one at 23.

Anyway, that's my rant. The clubs and public blame the county board who blame the manager. It all starts and ends with the clubs and always has.

Giovanni

Quote from: clonadmad on June 07, 2018, 02:31:58 PM
Lads does anyone here have a copy of what Cheddar was actually proposing in his plan?.

Would love to see it. And I suspect that you'd get plenty of actual (financial) support for it from hurling people inside the county and outside it. But of course to do so would take a little imagination.

Looking back now, it's incredible that he was let walk away

clonadmad

Quote from: Giovanni on June 07, 2018, 04:00:04 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on June 07, 2018, 02:31:58 PM

Would love to see it. And I suspect that you'd get plenty of actual (financial) support for it from hurling people inside the county and outside it. But of course to do so would take a little imagination.

Looking back now, it's incredible that he was let walk away

Laois spent c.€700k across the 2 codes in 2017 preparing Teams,assuming a spend of €300k on hurling

Im sure a better allocation of that money allied to Cheddar's plan would see modest gains ie. we would go from losing to the likes of Carlow and Kerry to losing to the likes of Cork and Limerick.

There's every possibility next year we could be losing to the likes of Kildare and Roscommon.

Giovanni

Agree fully with you.

Under Cheddar, we went from losing to Offaly to beating Offaly in a couple of years. That was "modest" progress in a certain way but given the time period in which it was done and the resources used to achieve it, I think it was a fantastic achievement. Some vision for the development of the younger lads coupled with some smart investment (not necessarily millions) could have brought us further (in similar modest steps).  I agree with everything Blueandwhite1 said about the young hurlers in that respect (and indeed you've been saying it yourself for a long time on here). I'd be astonished if Cheddar's plan didn't dedicate significant time to that question.

Instead of this, as you say, the height of our ambition now seems to be to beat Kerry....... . But no-one seems to know (and in particular our well reimbursed management team) how that mind-boggling target might be met.

redsetanta

With Jack Nolans profile he'd be a decent man to push something like this with his role in the media etc. He's as disappointed and frustrated as the rest of us but would be well known and could garner support to put pressure on the county board. They were discussing it on his facebook page.

Leixlad

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 07, 2018, 03:50:40 PM
The county board see managers as very important people. When the hurling team play poorly they blame the manager, sack him, appoint a committee and eventually announce a new manager. Everyone then moves on and the county board is happy for another year. The role of the manager is therefore to take the fall for the CB. Hurling is secondary.

If you take the above, slightly tongue in cheek argument to it's fruition, you could say that the role of the county board is to take the fall for the clubs. The county board are elected by the clubs to do the bidding of the clubs. When everything is crap, we then put it on the useless ineffective has-beens that we have appointed.

This won't be solved without the clubs having a combined ambition for hurling in the county. The first thing they need to do is put an autonomous hurling board together with capability. Beg Cheddar to chair it and give him complete authority and independent funding. Wouldn't it be great to see the likes of Pat Critchley, Paul Cuddy, Enda Lyons, Joe Dollard and Willie Hyland running hurling development in Laois rather than what we have had to put up with.

The clubs also need to stand up and get top class coaches at all age groups. There are some incredible lads who give great time to their clubs but the don't necessarily have the skills and experience to build skill levels between 8-14 years of age when motor skills are developed. Arguably, if you miss this formative period in the development of a hurler you are done. It has been a constant bug-bear of minor managers over the years that they are getting lads at 16 / 17 and have to coach skills that should be long established with sub-optimal results. I have personally yet to see a lad who was an ok hurler at that age turn into a super one at 23.

Anyway, that's my rant. The clubs and public blame the county board who blame the manager. It all starts and ends with the clubs and always has.

Thumbs up. Well summed.
Just regarding people wondering what cheddars plans was, I don't need to see it to know it was the right plan. No stone should be left unturned in an attempt to get him back. Can't see it happening but by god someone should be trying. It was no surprise our fortunes turned up with him and Zoom in charge of teams. Bite the bullet and go back to them.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!