Meath Mightily Migrate from Mediocrity, Maybe.

Started by thejuice, April 03, 2012, 01:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agorm

Quote from: Hardy on August 03, 2012, 01:41:05 PM
I was thinking about that at the time and I came to the conclusion that Banty wouldn't have been in the mood to accept anything imposed by the county board, flushed as he was with the success of seeing off the attempted heave.

As regards John Evans succeeding Banty, my guess would be that the county board will have learned from Banty's difficulties that an outside manager will struggle to gain acceptance. Though it may be a bit of a reach to expect our county board to learn anything.

Yes, I agree Hardy. Hard also to see that Co Board having the political savvy to impose Evans with the view to developing him as a successor without the knowledge of Banty.

Hardy

Quote from: agorm on August 04, 2012, 09:00:41 AM
I have a feeling that it is now or never or Colm O'Rourke and that this is now the time or him to give it a go.
He was part of a group that made some proposals on the structures a few years ago. That needs to be followed up on as well.

I'd like to see O'Rourke take it on as well. But I'd guess he wouldn't do it under the current county board regime and he's probably right. On the other hand, he's one of the few men who could command support in changing/reforming the administration and he doesn't seem inclined to get involved, which leads to the impression that he may not be interested.

Lar Naparka

O'Rourke made it clear (before Banty arrived) that he wouldn't consider the job as long as Shane was on the county panel.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hardy

Yes, I'd forgotten that. I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of sense - lots of managers seem to be able to handle that situation. But it's his own business and probably admirable.

criostlinn

Its a cope out by O'Rourke. He can continue to spout sh1t on the Sunday Game and in the Independent. As for following up his words with action well O'Rourke will sit on the fence while his county continue to struggle

Hardy

Wait a minute. I don't think you can gratuitously heap the responsibility to be saviour of the county on one man without even consulting him. Why pick on him? You might as well throw a dart at a list of former players and prominent GAA personalities and condemn whichever one gets skewered.

I think it's all Matty McCabe's fault, myself.

Jinxy

I enjoyed Banty getting stuck into Spillane on RTE the other night in relation to his comments about McElkennon.
Said it to his face and was 100% right.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

So lads, how about your minors against Tyrone tomorrow?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 04, 2012, 10:50:44 AM
O'Rourke made it clear (before Banty arrived) that he wouldn't consider the job as long as Shane was on the county panel.

In fairness, he is making a lot of money with his media work, which happens to be off season to his regular Teaching Job. Who in their right mind would give that up?

Sea The Stars

It'll be interesting to see what happens next in terms of appointing Banty's successor.

Baryney Allen's five years are up and Cyril Creavin his right hand man and natural successor might not have the enthusiasm to put his name forward for county board chairman - after all the criticism - so now do they:
1) Do everything in their power to find Banty's replacement between now and November
2) Try to delay the appointment as long as possible so as not to risk further ridicule even after their terms of office are up

Bit of a catch-22 I would think. Barney Allen has oversaw three managerial appointments in his role as chairman - I think he'd like to avoid being assiociated with a fourth after the disaster of the previous three.

We were also told in June that the new u21 manager would be names in July. No appointment as of the 5th of August. The next meeting of the county committee is Monday week - where I would hope the u21 manager will be unveiled. And possibly how they intend to find the next senior manager.