Meath Mightily Migrate from Mediocrity, Maybe.

Started by thejuice, April 03, 2012, 01:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

If things on the field weren't bad enough the rot off the field continues

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/boylan-quits-royal-role-3068619.html

QuoteSean Boylan has stepped down from the director of football role he was appointed to in Meath last September.

Boylan has confirmed he is no longer in the position to which he was appointed on the same night as Seamus McEnaney got the green light to see out the second year of his three-year term as Meath manager.

Boylan admitted yesterday that "it hadn't worked out" but was diplomatic about the reasons behind the decision.

"I informed the county board of my decision some weeks ago," he said.

Boylan's appointment was announced to some fanfare, but the former manager is understood to be frustrated at the slow progress in implementing any of the ideas he had.

"For whatever reasons we just didn't get sitting down and talking about matters relevant to it," said Boylan.

The four time All-Ireland winning manager admitted he never saw himself as a director of football in the strictest sense of the term in the first place, but stressed that he would always be willing to give advice and help to any coach or official in the county who wanted it.

"That has always been the way with me and it always will be. People know where I am. I would like to think that I have never let my county down in any way and never will," he said.

On the night of his appointment, a five-point plan was unveiled around which he was to work, which included participating in and making recommendations to the Meath County Board on the appointment of managers to all inter-county teams in the county and carrying out reviews on the performances of managers to ensure goals were being met.

If Joe Sheridans departure or Nigel Crawfords retirement wasn't a sign of the state of things, not to mention our selectors walking away last year, this is a real sign of how bad things are. If Sean Boylan isn't even being heeded in a role he was given by the same county board then what does that say about us.

We might not even have a stadium to play in with PT no longer meeting H&S regulations. We've a terrible record at under-age, having gone 5 years without 1 win at U-21 level, U-18 being a mixed bag. While under-age success doesn't guarantee senior success the absolute lack of it doesn't hold any promise what so ever.

While the county board may leave a lot to be desired the men who probably could make a big difference have seemed always reluctant to put their heads above the parapet. If we are going to see change in the way things are going we need those who can make a difference to put themselves forward and those who want change need to demand they be put in place to take action.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Zulu

This is where I think the GAA really falls down, why has a pasionate Meath man like Sean boylan walked away? Why did Mayo not endorse the strategic plan that they were recommended, why does a county like Cork have so few GDO's? And more importantly why doesn't Croke Park have a say in the endorsing or rejection of strategic plans in each county? I can see the absolute waste of money being spent on games development where I am and though I've said this to top level officials, and they say they agree, they have no intention of changing it. I often think we are a ship with no captain and every village idiot has as much say as qualified professionals when it comes to decision making.

Ard-Rí

Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Hardy

I don't know what to say, to be honest. I think we're at rock bottom if Seán Boylan can't find a way to contribute or the county board can't facilitate him and find a way to use his talents, whichever is the case. Imagine the bending over backwards other counties would be prepared to do if they could have Seán as director of football.

seafoid

bhgmk

Don't know if it's all to do with the fairies - some of these problems were there before the M3 arrived!!!

If you could have a wish-list county board executive, who would it be?

Chairman
Vice Chair
Secretary
Ass Secretary
Treasurer
PRO
Director(s) of Games (football & hurling)

I don't pretend to know all the movers & shakers in the County but I reckon John Kavanagh from St. Ultan's has the energy and enthusiasm to successfully fill one of the leading roles. Maybe the Tormey man in Ashbourne (can't think of his first name)? And Ted Murtagh from Trim - hurling director? So far a bit of a spread around the county. John McNamee from Oldcastle might be good in the finance area. What about our representatives at Leinster & Central Council?

Is there anybody in the current set-up that you can see as leading the county board next season? Can we come up with the 'Dream Team' - and would they take it on???

muppet

Quote from: bhgmk on April 04, 2012, 05:47:22 PM
Don't know if it's all to do with the fairies - some of these problems were there before the M3 arrived!!!

Chairman
Vice Chair
Secretary
Ass Secretary
Treasurer
PRO

I don't pretend to know all the movers & shakers in the County but I reckon John Kavanagh from St. Ultan's has the energy and enthusiasm to successfully fill one of the leading roles. Maybe the Tormey man in Ashbourne (can't think of his first name)? And Ted Murtagh from Trim - hurling director? So far a bit of a spread around the county. John McNamee from Oldcastle might be good in the finance area. What about our representatives at Leinster & Central Council?

Is there anybody in the current set-up that you can see as leading the county board next season? Can we come up with the 'Dream Team' - and would they take it on???

Mmmmmust resist! Aarrggghh.
MWWSI 2017

omagh_gael

Quote from: muppet on April 04, 2012, 07:51:50 PM
Quote from: bhgmk on April 04, 2012, 05:47:22 PM

Chairman
Vice Chair
Secretary
Ass Secretary
Treasurer
PRO

Mmmmmust resist! Aarrggghh.

I used to work for the St John of God Association and on my bank statement it used to to say i was paid by St John of God Ass

:o

muppet

Quote from: omagh_gael on April 04, 2012, 09:10:27 PM

I used to work for the St John of God Association and on my bank statement it used to to say i was paid by St John of God Ass

You must admit Ass Secretary conjures up a better image.
MWWSI 2017

omagh_gael

Quote from: muppet on April 04, 2012, 09:20:26 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on April 04, 2012, 09:10:27 PM

You must admit Ass Secretary conjures up a better image.

Fair point.

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Ard-Rí

Quote from: highorlow on April 05, 2012, 09:19:25 AM
Great News. Keep sliding and good riddance.

Ach is é a deirimse libh, bíodh grá agaibh do bhur naimhde agus guígí ar son bhur ngéarleantóirí - Matha 5:44
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Declan

Not good signs alright - On the good news front this is Barney Allen's last year

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bhgmk

Got to admit lads, my editing skills need brushing up - tho there are times the word Ass could be applied to the executive in general  :)