American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 30, 2017, 04:58:25 PM
Awful injury for Zach Miller. Had to have emergency surgery today in an attempt to save his leg from being amputated.

Just terrible. Hope everything goes well for him, it looked a gruesome injury.

The Iceman

anyone watching the world series - I have struggled in the past to watch much of it but the dodgers astros series is entertaining
what do you make of the allegations that the balls are different? to create more runs and make life harder for the pitchers? some of it makes sense - it definitely makes for entertaining games if thats the case...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Gabriel_Hurl

Jimmy Garropolo to the 49ers for a 2nd round pick.

Tom Brady is immortal.

Asal Mor

Would a team like Green Bay not have traded their 1st round pick for him? Would have thought the Patriots could have gotten a better deal.

gallsman

Green Bay's season ended when Rodgers got hurt. No point in giving up a pick for a half season QB.

Asal Mor

Quote from: gallsman on October 31, 2017, 12:57:29 AM
Green Bay's season ended when Rodgers got hurt. No point in giving up a pick for a half season QB.
I have heard experts express the opinion that he could make a decent starting qb. Could Green Bay not trade for him , then trade him away in the off-season without losing much in terms of picks, if they also viewed him as decent?

gallsman

He's a free agent this coming off season, so they'd be giving up picks that they wouldn't recoup to perhaps enjoy a marginally better season than they will with Hundley under centre, that still wouldn't end up with a championship.

I find it a strange one from the 49ers perspective. Unless they've some guarantees that he'll extend, they've given up a high pick in a doomed season for a player who might be out the door again in no time.

Syferus

Nothing strange about paying a second round pick for the best back-up in football. Seems like a great bit of business by the 49ers. They have more than enough money to pay him if he works out.

Lord only knows why the Patriots dealt with their QB situation as they have. The Browns offered more in the spring, and they traded their third stringer Brissett to the Colts a couple months ago so now they have no QBs on the first team or even the practice squad apart from Brady.

If they were willing to flip JG it makes the Brissett trade for next to nothing seem all the more stupid. He was only in the second year of his rookie contract so could have slotted in as the back up for a very cheap price. Patriots brilliance's this is not, even if taken in isolation a second rounder for an expiring contract is good value.

If Brady, a QB into his 40s now, gets injured BB is going to look like a total idiot.

gallsman

Zeke injunction lifted and is officially suspended.

Clov

A second round pick is not that steep of a price to pay for a shot at a competent QB - they spent a 3rd rounder on Beathard. If Garoppolo flames out they can easily wash their hands of this and move on (they'll most likely have the 1st or 2nd overall pick). If he plays well then they can franchise tag him, which would give them quite a few options - sign him to a long-term deal, sign another free agent QB (Hello Kirk Cousins!) and deal him for more then they paid for him, or draft a QB. I think this move makes sense for Niners, as it gives them options without having to go all in on a unknown quantity. The next 8 weeks for Garoppolo will be the audition for the rest of his career.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on October 31, 2017, 02:26:11 AM
Nothing strange about paying a second round pick for the best back-up in football. Seems like a great bit of business by the 49ers. They have more than enough money to pay him if he works out.

Lord only knows why the Patriots dealt with their QB situation as they have. The Browns offered more in the spring, and they traded their third stringer Brissett to the Colts a couple months ago so now they have no QBs on the first team or even the practice squad apart from Brady.

If they were willing to flip JG it makes the Brissett trade for next to nothing seem all the more stupid. He was only in the second year of his rookie contract so could have slotted in as the back up for a very cheap price. Patriots brilliance's this is not, even if taken in isolation a second rounder for an expiring contract is good value.

If Brady, a QB into his 40s now,  gets injures BB is going to look like a total idiot.

That's all true, but JG is an UFA at the end of this season. The 49ers may just have traded for 8 games of JG. What's the betting he goes back to New England as a Free Agent? :)

PS. I think at this stage BB could coach the Pats wearing underpants on his head just saying 'wibble' and he wouldn't look like a total idiot.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Clov on October 31, 2017, 09:08:41 AM
A second round pick is not that steep of a price to pay for a shot at a competent QB - they spent a 3rd rounder on Beathard. If Garoppolo flames out they can easily wash their hands of this and move on (they'll most likely have the 1st or 2nd overall pick). If he plays well then they can franchise tag him, which would give them quite a few options - sign him to a long-term deal, sign another free agent QB (Hello Kirk Cousins!) and deal him for more then they paid for him, or draft a QB. I think this move makes sense for Niners, as it gives them options without having to go all in on a unknown quantity. The next 8 weeks for Garoppolo will be the audition for the rest of his career.

True about the Franchise tag. Maybe I'm just thick the Cardinals didn't do this.

Clov

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 31, 2017, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: Clov on October 31, 2017, 09:08:41 AM

True about the Franchise tag. Maybe I'm just thick the Cardinals didn't do this.

I know people are saying that they could have got him for nothing at the end of a season so it seems like a steep price but you have to factor in that free agency is likely to see a serious run on QB. A lot of teams in much better shape than the Niners could be shopping for QB - the Steelers, Giants, Jags and even the Cards are probably more attractive land spots for free agents. I think this move gives them a jump start on what could be a crazy off season market.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

AZOffaly

It will be a crazy off season for QBs alright, but there's a decent class coming out, and there are a lot of FA QBs available, so I'm hoping there'll be enough to go around.....

magpie seanie

Clearly the Patriots logic is - if Tom Brady goes down we're fucked anyway. Lets get another pick for a guy we're not sure will ever be the real deal and take another project QB in the draft. Good to see the 49ers trying something and not just tanking. Forgot about the franchise tag.....deal makes more sense when you look at that possibility if Garapollo goes well.