The "PC Brigade" brigade

Started by Eamonnca1, August 15, 2017, 01:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on August 15, 2017, 08:05:49 PM

Quote from: The Iceman on August 15, 2017, 07:18:23 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 15, 2017, 06:51:04 PM
"Infringes on my beliefs and way of life"

f**k off. It doesn't infringe on anything. I suggest you look up the meaning of the word.
Infringe - definition - to encroach on, to limit...
not sure why you think it's a wrong use of the word. We celebrate Easter in my house, we celebrate Christmas in my house. When we lived in Seattle the kids couldn't talk about it. They were told it wasn't for school. School had spring spheres and winter celebrations. Being told differently had an impact on my family. I'm not sure why you are so upset?

You celebrate Easter and Christmas in your house? Well done. Did anyone forcibly enter your home and demand you refer to a holiday tree or a spring sphere hunt at home? I know America is fucked but I highly doubt it. How did the school policy affect your family life? If your kids are unable to use the words "Christmas" or "Easter" within the confines of the family, I suggest you look closer to home for the blame.
So to your point my life only constitutes within my own home? And anything that affects it outside of the home I can't comment or complain about?
Not sure where you are going with this at all?
And thanks for addressing all the points and backing up your arguments... top person
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

seafoid

FT :
The Trump administration recently killed an effort to use online technologies to draw people away from extremism, axing a $400,000 grant for a deradicalisation group called Life after Hate in Chicago. Run by several former members of white nationalist organisations, the group was planning to use counter extremism technologies pioneered by Moonshot of London
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

Quote from: seafoid on August 15, 2017, 09:15:06 PM
FT :
The Trump administration recently killed an effort to use online technologies to draw people away from extremism, axing a $400,000 grant for a deradicalisation group called Life after Hate in Chicago. Run by several former members of white nationalist organisations, the group was planning to use counter extremism technologies pioneered by Moonshot of London

Steve Bannon was never going to have that.

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on August 15, 2017, 05:07:27 PM
Nobody is stopping us down in Florida no. But in Seattle honestly the kids were told it wasn't an easter egg hunt it was a spring sphere hunt.
PC stuff does go too far. I don't think its wrong or unacceptable of me to be upset about it. Especially when it infringes on my beliefs and way of life.
I agree that a lot of the PC stuff is valid and also that a lot of it is becoming a parody of itself.

Main street not sure where your aggression is coming from

Honestly Iceman, what difference does it REALLY make to the beliefs or way life of you or your kids if, when in school, they have to engage in a "spring sphere" hunt?  (I looked it up, and apparently the whole broohaha refers to some 16 year old named Jessica being told she must use this term six years ago - I don't see anything about it official Seattle School Board policy. The wife's aunt works for Seattle schools... must ask her about this!)

Eamonnca1

Somebody somewhere who know's somebody's cousin's aunt who once spoke to a mate of mine said that Easter Eggs now have to be called "Spheres," ergo there's a war on Easter and it's Political Correctness Gone Mad TM.

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 01:45:12 AM
Somebody somewhere who know's somebody's cousin's aunt who once spoke to a mate of mine said that Easter Eggs now have to be called "Spheres," ergo there's a war on Easter and it's Political Correctness Gone Mad TM.

I prefer the one where the school banned Halloween celebrations because they might be offensive to "real witches".

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=184701&page=1

Hardy

It's the equivalent of the straight bananas myth. Brought to you by Boris Johnson.

The Iceman

Quote from: J70 on August 16, 2017, 01:36:01 AM
Nobody is stopping us down in Florida no. But in Seattle honestly the kids were told it wasn't an easter egg hunt it was a spring sphere hunt.
PC stuff does go too far. I don't think its wrong or unacceptable of me to be upset about it. Especially when it infringes on my beliefs and way of life.
I agree that a lot of the PC stuff is valid and also that a lot of it is becoming a parody of itself.

Honestly Iceman, what difference does it REALLY make to the beliefs or way life of you or your kids if, when in school, they have to engage in a "spring sphere" hunt?  (I looked it up, and apparently the whole broohaha refers to some 16 year old named Jessica being told she must use this term six years ago - I don't see anything about it official Seattle School Board policy. The wife's aunt works for Seattle schools... must ask her about this!)
It's one more thing added to the list J70. Compounding. It's one of the reasons we were happy to hit the road again - the place was too liberal for us.
If that was the only thing, you are right - it didn't really make a difference - but compounded with everything else - it wasn't the place for us and didn't synch up with how we want to live.

I'd still love to hear back from gallsman after his rant - you can IM me if you want...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Main Street

For years now I have been ignoring the clear and present danger of this threat from the pc brigade, nevertheless, I have a growing fear,  an utter dread of the time when the pc brigade will finally catch up with me, packs of them in my vicinity,  breathing my air, dirty little tree hugging pinkos waving their Guardian newspaper subscriptions in the air.

However, there's some consolation as I read the comments under this article in the Indo  from those of our fine citizens who are completely untouched by the pc disease. At least we can still call a spade a spade in the Indo, one of the last bastions of unfettered free speech.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/appalling-disgusting-vandals-destroy-memorial-to-11-victims-of-carrickmines-fire-tragedy-36037250.html

"Vandals destroy memorial to 11 victims of Carrickmines fire tragedy"

"The statue of ' Our Lady ' could be replaced with a solid metal one ?"
"It'd be sold for scrap and melted down"

"it looks like a grave, it's ghastly and tasteless. If it can be seen from the Glenamuck road I wouldn't be surprised of the neighbors did a job on it. I would if it popped up on my road."

"...I'm also sick of the way we have to pc our way around this ethnic group. When can we grow up as a nation, and say straight out to people that their so called way of life is incompatible with modern Ireland and that the taxpayers should not be expected to fund "state of the art halting sites".

"Was there planning permission for the memorial?"

stew

Seattle is a hot bed for liberal thought police, sphere hunt my hole.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stew on August 16, 2017, 03:03:36 PM

Seattle is a hot bed for liberal thought police, sphere hunt my hole.

Emmm :)

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on August 16, 2017, 01:54:32 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 01:45:12 AM

I prefer the one where the school banned Halloween celebrations because they might be offensive to "real witches".

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=184701&page=1

Another non-story.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: seafoid on August 15, 2017, 03:00:55 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2017, 02:51:55 PM
But does the confederate flag symbolise slavery, or does it just symbolise the Southern States of the US, which included slavery. I'm not sure the Stars and Bars are a racist symbol in and of themselves, but obviously the rebels that flew it wanted to hold onto their secessionary status, and their slaves. Would the single star of the 'Bonnie Blue Flag' be deemed racist if it was flown?

The problem here, I believe, is not because they are flying a colourful flag which was used by the Army of Virginia in the civil war, and made famous in multiple movies and TV shows as part of the old South Yee Haw. It's because it's been taken over and used as a symbol of hate by the KKK and the Alt Right. That in itself is enough to disown it, as it does not have an official standing to fall back on, as a national flag would have.
It symbolises an economic system that was based on slavery that the South went to war to defend. And they lost.
You will never please everyone. Down Dixie way, you will be told that the Yanks started the
war  because the Southern states could sell their produce cheaper than their Northern counterparts. Dunno how true that is that view is widely held in the south.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Eamonnca1

The civil war was about slavery no matter how much the rednecks try to deny it

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 07:18:45 PM
The civil war was about slavery no matter how much the rednecks try to deny it
It was about the model to export West. The south wanted slavery beyond Dixié. 
Sherman destroyed their economy. They went back to their old ways with Jim Crow. It wasn't until 100 years after the war that black people were fully acknowledged as equal citizens.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU