The Catholic religious orders and power

Started by seafoid, April 22, 2017, 08:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

More than likely be unconstitutional - right to private property etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Rossfan on April 23, 2017, 08:18:20 PM
More than likely be unconstitutional - right to private property etc.
except its not private
a citizen doesn't own it

Rossfan

Of course it's private property. It's not owned by the State.
Doesn't matter if it's an individual, a company, Co operative, religious body or whatever.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Rossfan on April 23, 2017, 10:07:15 PM
Doesn't matter if it's an individual, a company, Co operative, religious body or whatever.

If someone or organisation owes a considerable sum to the state or anyone, then the court is used to recover the debt, the bailiffs go in and cease the assets to cover the debt.  So, what is stopping the Government doing this with the support of the people and the law.

Itchy

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 23, 2017, 10:33:29 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 23, 2017, 10:07:15 PM

If someone or organisation owes a considerable sum to the state or anyone, then the court is used to recover the debt, the bailiffs go in and cease the assets to cover the debt.  So, what is stopping the Government doing this with the support of the people and the law.

I don't think they strictly owe a debt to the state legally rather they volunteered to foot some of the bill. Legally I think it's not binding but morally it should be. Unfortunately these groups lost any morals they had a long time ago.

I don't know why a compulsory purchase cannot be done like it is when building roads etc. Suppose cowards in goverment are afraid the would awaken the religious right. FG couldn't have that.

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on April 23, 2017, 11:22:54 PM
I don't know why a compulsory purchase cannot be done like it is when building roads etc. Suppose cowards in goverment are afraid the would awaken the religious right. FG couldn't have that.

You can have a compulsory purchase, but development land in Dublin 4 would be rather expensive. Also  compulsory purchase is on the basis of certain acts, mostly housing and roads, building a hospital might not be on this list.
t.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tonto1888

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 22, 2017, 09:15:11 PM
Quote from: longballin on April 22, 2017, 08:14:11 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 22, 2017, 07:46:38 PM
It is only comparatively recently that the Mater Hospital in Belfast became state funded.By the way are there many so called Catholic Schools who have clergy on the teaching staff these days? Unlike my day,when all Catholic Schools invariably had five or six clergy on teaching staff and the School Principal was invariably a priest or nun.

true had the misfortune to be taught by a few of them... most either perverts or sadists
Well said.

I had a few priests who taught me. None were sadists and to the best of my knowledge nor were any of them perverts

Rossfan

stew

Quote from: Esmarelda on April 22, 2017, 05:29:31 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 22, 2017, 05:17:08 PM
Ok.How about the Church and faithful withdraw their (mainly voluntary) services in all aspects of Irish Life including charity (SVP),Chaplaincies etc
Yes, better not withdraw SDVP or people will have no other charity to pay to.

Only for the church we'd all be screwed.

irony!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

guy crouchback

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2017, 10:22:16 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 24, 2017, 11:47:45 AM
Same here.

Same here.

same here,
a couple of them were hard nuts but no worse then their lay counterparts. this was in the mid nineties  though and the real beatings were over by then.

i meet them now and again those teacher priests and i feel sorry for them. retired from teaching and semi retired from Parrish's there is a bit of the lost soul about them.
unlike life long parish priests they lived a largely normal life, went to work every day had lay colleagues even superiors, interacted with with them as equals  heard about there lives and struggles over the lunch tables opposed to in the confessional or whatever.

they never really seemed to take to parish life and were always really keen to talk about school days and other pupils and teachers.

on the topic in question the catholic church has never done anything, anything, that wasn't in its own interests and to increase or consolidate its power.
every hospital, every school, was there to increase  Catholic control of the people in every possible aspect of their lives, from the cradle to the grave.

Farrandeelin

My uncle was a priest in Korea. Please desist in classing all missionary priests as paedos.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 25, 2017, 02:32:10 PM
My uncle was a priest in Korea. Please desist in classing all missionary priests as paedos.

North or South?

johnneycool

Quote from: guy crouchback on April 25, 2017, 11:14:20 AM
Same here.

Same here.

same here,
a couple of them were hard nuts but no worse then their lay counterparts. this was in the mid nineties  though and the real beatings were over by then.

i meet them now and again those teacher priests and i feel sorry for them. retired from teaching and semi retired from Parrish's there is a bit of the lost soul about them.
unlike life long parish priests they lived a largely normal life, went to work every day had lay colleagues even superiors, interacted with with them as equals  heard about there lives and struggles over the lunch tables opposed to in the confessional or whatever.

they never really seemed to take to parish life and were always really keen to talk about school days and other pupils and teachers.

on the topic in question the catholic church has never done anything, anything, that wasn't in its own interests and to increase or consolidate its power.
every hospital, every school, was there to increase  Catholic control of the people in every possible aspect of their lives, from the cradle to the grave.

Yip,
    A hard nut is indeed a fully grown adult intimidating and beating lumps out of teenagers..  ::)

guy crouchback

Quote from: johnneycool on April 25, 2017, 02:58:37 PM
Quote from: guy crouchback on April 25, 2017, 11:14:20 AM
Same here.

Same here.

same here,

Yip,
    A hard nut is indeed a fully grown adult intimidating and beating lumps out of teenagers..  ::)
??? indeed