The US policing crisis thread

Started by Eamonnca1, April 28, 2015, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on June 24, 2017, 05:06:55 PM
Trump is at war with the police. He sacked Comey and Mueller is investigating him. Sad!

Where did you hear that?

stew

Trump is at war with the police. He sacked Comey and Mueller is investigating him. Sad!

You are the epitome of leftist delusional thinking, thank you, dont ever, and I mean ever, change!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 24, 2017, 06:39:15 PM

Where did you hear that?

Did Trump not complain that he is being investigated... by someone? ;D
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/875701471999864833

J70

Quote from: stew on June 24, 2017, 05:03:56 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 05, 2017, 04:33:47 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on January 05, 2017, 04:28:47 PM
Quote from: dec on January 05, 2017, 04:05:27 PM
http://www.cnn.com/us

Current top headline

4 arrested in beating broadcast on Facebook Live
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/04/us/chicago-facebook-live-beating/index.html

Try www.cnn.com

Caught out again fc... CNN is a global news network while the others you have listed are US Networks . . . Guess what's front and centre on the CNN US site??!!

Conservatives have a real knack of getting outraged at issues they can see but that in reality don't exist!!!

And thats why they run the country these days, you liberals are just dripping in reality, I love this shit, keep bitchin about Trump and keep losing elections, here is a bit of reality for you kid, last week there were four elections, the reality based dems won exactly none of them, now eat that reality screen )

Right stew, because lies and propaganda and scapegoating and demonization have never been successfully used to win and keep power before.

The GOP win, therefore they must reflect an honest appraisal of and solutions to society's problems, is that right?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on June 26, 2017, 02:37:57 PM

Where did you hear that?

How is he "at war with the police"?

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 26, 2017, 03:07:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 26, 2017, 02:37:57 PM

Where did you hear that?

How is he "at war with the police"?

I thought it was the investigating part you were on about.

Regardless, I think it can be safely said and predicted that Trump vacuously loves and praises everyone until the moment they cross him, and that he will be "at war" with anyone who doesn't kiss his ring and dares to call him on his bullshit or shady dealings. So far, that has cost the head of the federal police his job. He will not be the last.

But no, I would not call that a blanket "war with the police". Not at this point.

Eamonnca1

stew

Dear God! :o
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Eamonnca1

Today in the porcine infallibility chronicles, the cops in Aurora CO (again!) have distinguished themselves by investigating a motorcycle theft by going up to a black family in an SUV, hauling them out at gunpoint, making them (including a six year old girl) lie face down on the concrete, and cuffing two of them behind their backs.

Viewer discretion advised, the sound of children crying like this is heart-wrenching:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/aurora-police-detain-black-family-after-mistaking-their-vehicle-as-stolen

They were completely innocent and minding their own business. Doubtless the right wing propaganda machine will be along soon with some sort of skeleton in the cupboard to justify it. Maybe the little girl didn't eat her vegetables the night before, or something. The victims will be blamed somehow.

Gmac

Quote from: stew on September 22, 2017, 08:51:40 AM

where did stew go ?

J70

Quote from: Gmac on August 05, 2020, 06:10:20 AM
Quote from: stew on September 22, 2017, 08:51:40 AM

where did stew go ?

He got fairly deranged in his posting the last year or so he was here. I think Hillary as a presidential candidate put him over the edge as he appeared to virulently despise her and believed every conspiracy theory in the book about her.

Not sure if he was banned or if he finally decided it wasn't good for his blood pressure!

It was a shame, as he had been a decent enough sort on the board here for a long time.

Eamonnca1

Georgia police under investigation for shooting at car with teens inside during attempted traffic stop

By WJXT Staff | August 9, 2020 at 1:06 AM EDT - Updated August 9 at 8:39 PM

WAYCROSS, Ga. (WJXT/CNN) - State authorities are investigating after a Georgia police officer fired his gun at a vehicle with three teenagers and two younger children inside during an attempted traffic stop.

The two police officers involved in the Saturday incident describe a confrontation, where the 16-year-old behind the wheel drove towards one of the officers, who opened fire, and the 15-year-old tried to grab one of their guns.

But Dominique Goodman Sr., the father to all five children, tells a different story. He says multiple shots were fired at his three youngest children, ages 9 to 14, before he had to plead with the officers not to shoot his older sons.

"Those are my kids, man. Man, that's my child, man," said Goodman in cell phone video of the incident. "Those are children, man. They're minors, man."

The family says the confrontation began as the Goodman-Boyd children returned from Walmart in Waycross, Georgia. Amari Goodman, 12, says they noticed a police car following them without the lights on. It was only when the children got to their neighborhood that officers turned their lights on.

Police say they followed the car to obtain license plate information after they saw a traffic violation.

Once in their neighborhood, the two oldest children told the three younger ones to get out of the car and go find their father at home, just up the street.

"They let us out because they were scared. They didn't want nothing to happen to us. We got out and started running toward the house, and then, they just started shooting," Amari said.

Sincere Goodman, 9, says at least seven shots were fired, and one bullet whizzed by his head.

"It went past my face. I could've gotten shot in my face, but they shot the swing," he said.

It was after the three younger children got out of the car that police say the vehicle kept driving toward one of the officers with the 15-year-old and 16-year-old still inside. The officer fired multiple shots at the car, and the teenagers jumped out with it still in drive.

The teens were taken into custody at the scene. The family says at the time, they didn't know if they were being charged with any crime.

Police say there was an altercation during the arrests between an officer and the 15-year-old boy, who was treated for minor injuries. Pictures taken at the scene show the 15-year-old with blood dripping down his face as he stands handcuffed by a squad car.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said nobody was injured by gunfire during the incident.

"They shot at a car full of unarmed minors, a car full of unarmed children. Like, who in the world can't see that this is a 9-year-old? Who can't see that this is a child? They look like children," Goodman said. "They are babies. What was the purpose of shooting?"

Both officers involved have been placed on administrative leave, as the GBI conducts an independent investigation. Once the investigation is complete, it will be turned over to the Ware County District Attorney's Office for review.

Police say the 16-year-old is charged with reckless driving, aggravated assault on a police officer, driving without a license, possession of a handgun by a minor and a stop sign violation. The 15-year-old is charged with felony obstruction of an officer, removal or attempt to remove a firearm from an officer and possession of a handgun by a minor.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: johnneycool on September 23, 2016, 12:21:38 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 23, 2016, 12:15:58 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 23, 2016, 12:04:33 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 22, 2016, 04:06:58 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 22, 2016, 12:51:18 AM
Interesting breakdown/summary of all the 2016 killings by US police here:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database#

Astonishing reading that.

Many whites killed as well, with the investigation ruled 'Justified'. For example, a 23 year old white woman was shot by her husband, a cop who claimed he was 'cleaning his gun'. Ruling: 'Justified'. Not negligence or incompetence or possible homicide, but Justified. Oscar Pistorius should have used that one.

This shooting of a 12 year old is particularly sad: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/12/police-fatally-shoot-ciara-meyer-12-pennsylvania

As is this shooting of a suicidal woman who pulled a knife: http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2016/04/auburn_police_officer-involved.html

All of the three women above were white, so I am not banging the racial drum. But in most civilised countries, the cops would not open fire in those scenarios. There is obviously an issue with either training (just shoot to kill) or personnel selection (are they completely incapable of assessing situations under pressure and just open fire?).

Each circumstance is different and I am not saying the police are wrong automatically, they are not. And even the 3 cases I picked above have their own different levels of blame to apportion. But I honestly believe that none of those women would have been shot dead in Ireland or the UK.

Not every d**khead in Ireland and the UK can readily get their hands on a gun.

I'm sure that is bound to have an impact on the mindset of the cops in question. I'm not condoning their actions, but these lads must be on the mental edge a good part of the job and subsequently not going to take the slightest chance and fire first, ask questions later.

None of the 3 victims I mentioned above were even remotely suspected of carrying weapons. The 12 year old was near her father who was carrying a rifle.

I was generalising with the dickhead part, not the three particular incidents you were referring to.

As for this part;

If the mindset of cops is to shoot everything that moves, in case they are nutcases with guns, then why bother with having cops at all? Just arm every citizen and tell them it is ok to shoot what they think are bad guys. What difference is there whether a cop pulls the trigger or anyone else?

Isn't that what the NRA are ultimately suggesting. Good guys shooting the bad guys any time there's a shooting at a school campus or cinema or wherever.
It sounds utterly nuts to anyone with a titter of wit, but with gun saturation in the US as it is, people are believing it makes sense!!
Scary times stateside.

I once said "If guns kept people safer we'd be allowed to carry them on commercial flights." Someone actually tried to argue with me that it was a great idea to let people carry guns on planes with no restrictions.

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 11, 2020, 05:31:49 PM
Georgia police under investigation for shooting at car with teens inside during attempted traffic stop

By WJXT Staff | August 9, 2020 at 1:06 AM EDT - Updated August 9 at 8:39 PM

WAYCROSS, Ga. (WJXT/CNN) - State authorities are investigating after a Georgia police officer fired his gun at a vehicle with three teenagers and two younger children inside during an attempted traffic stop.

The two police officers involved in the Saturday incident describe a confrontation, where the 16-year-old behind the wheel drove towards one of the officers, who opened fire, and the 15-year-old tried to grab one of their guns.

But Dominique Goodman Sr., the father to all five children, tells a different story. He says multiple shots were fired at his three youngest children, ages 9 to 14, before he had to plead with the officers not to shoot his older sons.

"Those are my kids, man. Man, that's my child, man," said Goodman in cell phone video of the incident. "Those are children, man. They're minors, man."

The family says the confrontation began as the Goodman-Boyd children returned from Walmart in Waycross, Georgia. Amari Goodman, 12, says they noticed a police car following them without the lights on. It was only when the children got to their neighborhood that officers turned their lights on.

Police say they followed the car to obtain license plate information after they saw a traffic violation.

Once in their neighborhood, the two oldest children told the three younger ones to get out of the car and go find their father at home, just up the street.

"They let us out because they were scared. They didn't want nothing to happen to us. We got out and started running toward the house, and then, they just started shooting," Amari said.

Sincere Goodman, 9, says at least seven shots were fired, and one bullet whizzed by his head.

"It went past my face. I could've gotten shot in my face, but they shot the swing," he said.

It was after the three younger children got out of the car that police say the vehicle kept driving toward one of the officers with the 15-year-old and 16-year-old still inside. The officer fired multiple shots at the car, and the teenagers jumped out with it still in drive.

The teens were taken into custody at the scene. The family says at the time, they didn't know if they were being charged with any crime.

Police say there was an altercation during the arrests between an officer and the 15-year-old boy, who was treated for minor injuries. Pictures taken at the scene show the 15-year-old with blood dripping down his face as he stands handcuffed by a squad car.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said nobody was injured by gunfire during the incident.

"They shot at a car full of unarmed minors, a car full of unarmed children. Like, who in the world can't see that this is a 9-year-old? Who can't see that this is a child? They look like children," Goodman said. "They are babies. What was the purpose of shooting?"

Both officers involved have been placed on administrative leave, as the GBI conducts an independent investigation. Once the investigation is complete, it will be turned over to the Ware County District Attorney's Office for review.

Police say the 16-year-old is charged with reckless driving, aggravated assault on a police officer, driving without a license, possession of a handgun by a minor and a stop sign violation. The 15-year-old is charged with felony obstruction of an officer, removal or attempt to remove a firearm from an officer and possession of a handgun by a minor.

There are 20,000,000 traffic stops by police every year

Cherry picking a handful to "prove" a point proves nothing other than the fact you're a clown

I did read the entire article.....bottom paragraph reads:

"Police say the 16-year-old is charged with reckless driving, aggravated assault on a police officer, driving without a license, possession of a handgun by a minor and a stop sign violation. The 15-year-old is charged with felony obstruction of an officer, removal or attempt to remove a firearm from an officer and possession of a handgun by a minor."

They are some petty serious charges if true

Eamonnca1

Raise your hand if you've ever had an argument with your wife. Now imagine having the cops called on you, ordered to lie on the ground (which you do) and then have a dog set upon you to chew the tendons in your leg. You end up having multiple surgeries, lose your job, and may have to have your leg amputated.

What's the conservative justification for this going to be? He shouldn't have argued with his wife?

QuoteSalt Lake City police dog ordered to attack a Black man on his knees with his hands in the air

Updated: 2 hours ago
When the police arrived at the home of Jeffery Ryans early one morning in April, the 36-year-old was startled, but said his reaction was almost instinctive.

Growing up as a Black man in Alabama, he said, you're taught to cooperate. Put your hands up when you're told. Get on the ground if they say so.

That's what he was trying to do on April 24 when Salt Lake City police were called to his house after someone heard him arguing with his wife.

Body camera footage from the officers show Ryans was in his backyard smoking a cigarette — he says he was about to leave for his job as a train engineer — when the officers shined their lights on him and started yelling.

"Get on the ground!" one officer yelled, as his police dog barked. "Get on the ground or you're going to get bit!"

Ryans dropped what was in his hands and put them in the air.

He recalled in an interview that he was confused. He didn't know where to go or what to do: One officer was yelling for him to come to him, while another screamed to get on the ground.

He was worried if he did the wrong thing, he would get shot.

"I wasn't running," he recalled. "I wasn't fighting. I was just cooperating. We've been through this. We've seen this. Always cooperate with the police, no matter what."

Bodycam shows that though Ryans was kneeling on the ground with his hands in the air, the K9 officer still ordered his dog to attack.

The dog, Tuco, latched on to Ryans' left leg, the footage shows. Even as another officer sat on top of Ryans and puts the man in handcuffs, the K9 officer continued to instruct his dog to "hit" — and Tuco responds by biting and tearing at Ryans' leg.

"Why are you doing this?" Ryans yelled, according to the video. "Why are you biting me?"

"Good boy," the officer said to his dog, as Ryans screamed in pain.

(Warning: the following video contains violence and swearing.)

https://youtu.be/eF6OtvxJBXo

It's body camera video that Ryans can't watch now. It's too difficult to watch the dog biting, pulling his leg, knowing that injury has led to multiple surgeries, a lost job and has limited his ability to play sports with his kids.

"I felt like a chew toy," he said. "I didn't know why this was happening to me. That's what was going through my mind. Why?"

Ryans has taken the first steps toward filing a lawsuit against the Salt Lake City Police Department. In a notice of claim, which is required before a suit can be filed, his attorneys, Daniel Garner and Gabriel White, allege that the officer's use of force was unnecessary — and has caused an injury that could have been avoided if the officer "performed the appropriate actions" while arresting Ryans.

They say Ryans has suffered nerve and tendon damage, infections and has difficulty walking. Doctors have not ruled out the possibility he will need to have his leg amputated.

White alleges that officers reacted the way they did because his client is Black.

The attorney, who is white, said he's been in similar situations where he's had an argument with his wife or been in his backyard in the middle of the night letting his dog out. But the police never come, especially not with a K9 dog.

"What's different between the two of us that could make this happen to him, but I couldn't imagine happening to me?" he said. "No one's ever shown up at my house."

Salt Lake City police officials said they couldn't comment on Ryans' case because of the expected litigation.

It's not clear from the body camera footage who called police to Ryans' home, but the man said it wasn't his wife.

Police sought to arrest Ryans because his wife had filed a protective order last December and he wasn't supposed to be in their home. Court records show Ryans is facing domestic violence charges for an incident that occurred around that time, but charging documents offer no other details about what happened.

Ryans said his wife had told him that the protective order was lifted, and he had been back in their home for weeks before the police were called in April. He didn't know that her request to have the protective order lifted was still pending — so he was technically in violation of it at the time of his arrest.

Ryans now faces a charge of violating that protective order, but no court dates have been set.

The man, who has lived in Salt Lake City for the more than 15 years, says he wanted to publicly talk about what happened to him during a time when people have been protesting for months supporting Black Lives Matter and opposing police brutality.

He says police often treat Black people differently, and he wanted Utahns to see that it's happening here.

Ryans says he worked hard to get to where he is. He went to college, has a career and raised a family with his wife in a home they own. But he said that when that officer ordered his dog to keep biting him, it showed none of that mattered.

"People need to know Black lives matter," he said. "Everybody matters, but you can't just treat people differently because of their religion or their skin color. I developed myself to get to where I'm at right now. I should have the same respect as others. We don't get it."