Religion.

Started by cash4gold, March 03, 2010, 03:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

How can you rubbish my opinion and then play the victim card yourself? - where did I do that. Until this post you didn't offer an opinion.
You don't make sense.  From other threads you make your opinions very known and you claim that other people's opinions count but you do everything to convince and argue otherwise.  If you only wanted opinions you wouldn't have a retort to them.  If you'd like to debate on it then man up and say so. - Eh, this is a web forum, debate is the name of the game. You state yours, I state mine and we argue over them. But maybe somewhere in the middle one of us might make the other think about something in a different way.

You personally don't need to understand my need to worship within a Church - that's the thing.  You need to personally understand your own relationship with Jesus and based on His instructions that were passed on to us through the Bible and the Traditions of the Church hope you are doing what He recommended to do.  - Are you preaching to me? Sounds like you are afraid to put the reasons you worship within a church up here to me.
Maybe Heaven isn't your goal - but it is mine.  If there is a handbook and best practice guide to get there then I'll use it rather than putting things together myself and hoping I didn't forget to use 4 of the screws.  - But are you not then at the mercy, say of someone who might wish to mis represent something in the bible for their own selfish reasons. For example, it is now fairly well accepted that Mary Madelene was portrayed as a whore when the bible was changed by senior church officials 100's of years after jesus dies when in fact she was most likely one of his most important disciples. Are you not concerned that even now the pope is using the bible to keep the catholic church powerful ahead of helping you get to heaven - just a thought.

What harm am I doing in going to Mass? What harm am i doing in saying a few prayers? What harm am I doing in believing that Jesus died for my sins and yours and that eternal life in Heaven is only through Jesus?  - None, who said you were.

I laugh often at non-believers who feel the need to challenge Christians beliefs.  You're really only trying to convince yourself you're right because deep down that little question is niggling at your heart - what if you got it wrong? - I have questioned the need of people to be christian within a church or mass religion, I have not questioned or challenged christian belief. You either believe christ was the son of god and the saviour or you don't, there isn't much to argue about either way.

If I have it wrong - then no harm done.
If you got it wrong - hope you packed the ice. - You don't have an idea how I live my life bud, but I guarantee you this, there are plenty of people at mass every day of the week that are scum of the earth just as much as there are very good people that never stepped foot in a church.

The Iceman

I like your little line by line game.  Can I play?

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 04, 2010, 08:42:34 PM

How can you rubbish my opinion and then play the victim card yourself? - where did I do that. Until this post you didn't offer an opinion.
You don't make sense.  From other threads you make your opinions very known and you claim that other people's opinions count but you do everything to convince and argue otherwise.  If you only wanted opinions you wouldn't have a retort to them.  If you'd like to debate on it then man up and say so. - Eh, this is a web forum, debate is the name of the game. You state yours, I state mine and we argue over them. But maybe somewhere in the middle one of us might make the other think about something in a different way. 
Why do we have to argue? can we just not discuss? You make posts and state opinions to stir up shite in fairness.

You personally don't need to understand my need to worship within a Church - that's the thing.  You need to personally understand your own relationship with Jesus and based on His instructions that were passed on to us through the Bible and the Traditions of the Church hope you are doing what He recommended to do.  - Are you preaching to me? Sounds like you are afraid to put the reasons you worship within a church up here to me.
Funny if you look below in my next paragraph you'll see one of the reasons.  There is no fear involved - this is a discussion forum - remember? Why would i be afraid of posting my opinions? I've said before the beauty of a forum is we can choose to reply or not.  If there is room for discussion I like to contribute.  Your posts often leave no room for anyone's opinion but yours.....

Maybe Heaven isn't your goal - but it is mine.  If there is a handbook and best practice guide to get there then I'll use it rather than putting things together myself and hoping I didn't forget to use 4 of the screws.  - But are you not then at the mercy, say of someone who might wish to mis represent something in the bible for their own selfish reasons. For example, it is now fairly well accepted that Mary Madelene was portrayed as a whore when the bible was changed by senior church officials 100's of years after jesus dies when in fact she was most likely one of his most important disciples. Are you not concerned that even now the pope is using the bible to keep the catholic church powerful ahead of helping you get to heaven - just a thought.
Watching Tom Hanks in the Da Vinci Code is not a great source....... Try reading the Bible, praying, doing works of charity and welcoming Jesus into your own heart and then make your own decision bud.

What harm am I doing in going to Mass? What harm am i doing in saying a few prayers? What harm am I doing in believing that Jesus died for my sins and yours and that eternal life in Heaven is only through Jesus?  - None, who said you were.

I laugh often at non-believers who feel the need to challenge Christians beliefs.  You're really only trying to convince yourself you're right because deep down that little question is niggling at your heart - what if you got it wrong? - I have questioned the need of people to be christian within a church or mass religion, I have not questioned or challenged christian belief. You either believe christ was the son of god and the saviour or you don't, there isn't much to argue about either way.
Christian belief is Church.  Questioning Church questions Christian belief.

If you got it wrong - hope you packed the ice. - You don't have an idea how I live my life bud, but I guarantee you this, there are plenty of people at mass every day of the week that are scum of the earth just as much as there are very good people that never stepped foot in a church.
I agree there will be lots of "holy" people in Hell but there will also be a lot of good people in hell too.  Being a good person doesn't warrant heaven.  If it did Jesus never would have walked on the Earth, Jesus never would have died for our sins and the Church would never have been instituted......

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Iceman on March 04, 2010, 08:55:10 PM
I like your little line by line game.  Can I play?

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 04, 2010, 08:42:34 PM

Why do we have to argue? can we just not discuss? You make posts and state opinions to stir up shite in fairness.

Funny if you look below in my next paragraph you'll see one of the reasons.  There is no fear involved - this is a discussion forum - remember? Why would i be afraid of posting my opinions? I've said before the beauty of a forum is we can choose to reply or not.  If there is room for discussion I like to contribute.  Your posts often leave no room for anyone's opinion but yours.....

Watching Tom Hanks in the Da Vinci Code is not a great source....... Try reading the Bible, praying, doing works of charity and welcoming Jesus into your own heart and then make your own decision bud.

Christian belief is Church.  Questioning Church questions Christian belief.

I agree there will be lots of "holy" people in Hell but there will also be a lot of good people in hell too.  Being a good person doesn't warrant heaven.  If it did Jesus never would have walked on the Earth, Jesus never would have died for our sins and the Church would never have been instituted......

Argue, Debate, Discuss - whats the difference.

Da Vinci code was a load of muck and full of inaccuracies, Mary Magdelane was the exception to the rule. Are you saying you believe she was a whore? I have read the bible and my own opinion in it is that its a bit like reading the horroscopes in that many of the readings you can take any meaning from and indeed often some readings totally contradict others. Thats why I would never allow anyone to tell me the "true" meaning as they would have no more clue of that than I do.

Christian Belief = Church. Really? Protestants and Catholics would be interested to know they are in the same "church". So if I critise the cover up of paedophilles by the catholic authority I am actually indirectly criticising the word of God?

Maguire01

Quote from: The Iceman on March 04, 2010, 07:33:08 PM
I laugh often at non-believers who feel the need to challenge Christians beliefs.  You're really only trying to convince yourself you're right because deep down that little question is niggling at your heart - what if you got it wrong?
What a load of crap. By that logic, Nationalists only challenge the Unionist beliefs because deep down that little idea that unionism might be right is niggling at them.

Religious opinion/beliefs should be challenged every bit as much as any other opinion.

Maguire01

I agree there will be lots of "holy" people in Hell but there will also be a lot of good people in hell too.  Being a good person doesn't warrant heaven.  If it did Jesus never would have walked on the Earth, Jesus never would have died for our sins and the Church would never have been instituted.
Why will there be good people in hell?
And is there only heaven or hell?

Puckoon

Quote from: The Iceman on March 04, 2010, 04:08:39 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on March 03, 2010, 11:31:46 PM

I agree with maiden. Religon is abused and used as a weapon and always has been.

So has Technology - do we abandon that too.

Now in fairness technology has been a great tool for perverts and paedophiles. :)

Puckoon

What harm am I doing in going to Mass? What harm am i doing in saying a few prayers? What harm am I doing in believing that Jesus died for my sins and yours and that eternal life in Heaven is only through Jesus? 

I laugh often at non-believers who feel the need to challenge Christians beliefs.  You're really only trying to convince yourself you're right because deep down that little question is niggling at your heart - what if you got it wrong?

If you got it wrong - hope you packed the ice.

Just to clarify here - do the wild tribes in the rainforests who dont know anything about a God, or worship the sun go to hell?

Or do you only need to pack the ice if you are living in a Godly aware world - but choose not to believe and get it wrong?

Also - you are doing no harm at all, more power to you horse.

Zapatista

Where's CashforGold? Is he off researching the Taiping Rebellion? I'm fecked if he is ???

J70

Quote from: Puckoon on March 04, 2010, 11:24:02 PM

What harm am I doing in going to Mass? What harm am i doing in saying a few prayers? What harm am I doing in believing that Jesus died for my sins and yours and that eternal life in Heaven is only through Jesus? 

If you got it wrong - hope you packed the ice.

Just to clarify here - do the wild tribes in the rainforests who dont know anything about a God, or worship the sun go to hell?

Or do you only need to pack the ice if you are living in a Godly aware world - but choose not to believe and get it wrong?

Also - you are doing no harm at all, more power to you horse.

Who "chooses" to believe though? You either believe or you don't. You cannot force yourself or delude yourself into believing. Sure, you can feign belief to others, but a god such as the alleged christian god is by definition omniscient and can't be fooled thus. All that being the case, I cannot for the life of me see the logic in how such a god would punish someone for coming to an honest conclusion about the question of whether he/she/it exists or not! Which is why the Pascal wager argument that the safer option is to "believe" is complete and utter nonsense.

Hardy

When I was going to school, these lads were sent to Limbo. Then Limbo was abolished. I think it was officially abolished, but I'm only relying on memory and I can't remember how they explained whether it had never existed and the infallible pope had been wrong all the time or it had existed and was now being discontinued and why. So I don't know what we are now to imagine happens to those who have not heard about the Christian God. Or what happened to all the souls that were in Limbo.

Nest week: Purgatory - where did it go?

Zapatista

If they kill someone as a sacrafice to the Sun is it murder?

The Iceman

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 04, 2010, 09:43:29 PM
What a load of crap. By that logic, Nationalists only challenge the Unionist beliefs because deep down that little idea that unionism might be right is niggling at them.

Religious opinion/beliefs should be challenged every bit as much as any other opinion.

Maguire thats the thing - Faith is not based on Logic - if it was people like you would have no problem understanding it.
Therefore you can't apply your "logic" and compare it to other ways of thinking.  Also your comparison is very naive  - Nationalists will not be spending eternity in a very hot place if they got it wrong.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Iceman

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 04, 2010, 09:45:52 PM
I agree there will be lots of "holy" people in Hell but there will also be a lot of good people in hell too.  Being a good person doesn't warrant heaven.  If it did Jesus never would have walked on the Earth, Jesus never would have died for our sins and the Church would never have been instituted.

There were "good" people around for centuries before Jesus was around.  If good people made it to heaven then why did God sacrafice His only Son for us? If good people made it to heaven then why did Jesus die for us?  Good people (who don't have an intimate relationship with Jesus) don't get to heaven. The only way to the Father is through the Son.  Therefore based on that - there will be plenty of good people in hell or purgatory to answer your other question.

There will also be plenty of "holy" people in hell or purgatory.  Holy people as in those who bite the altar rails and don't live out the Gospel everyday. Those who preach on street corners and would steal the eye from your head.  These hypocrites I believe will all be in hell or purgatory.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Iceman on March 05, 2010, 02:49:38 PM

There were "good" people around for centuries before Jesus was around.  If good people made it to heaven then why did God sacrafice His only Son for us? If good people made it to heaven then why did Jesus die for us?  Good people (who don't have an intimate relationship with Jesus) don't get to heaven. The only way to the Father is through the Son.  Therefore based on that - there will be plenty of good people in hell or purgatory to answer your other question.

There will also be plenty of "holy" people in hell or purgatory.  Holy people as in those who bite the altar rails and don't live out the Gospel everyday. Those who preach on street corners and would steal the eye from your head.  These hypocrites I believe will all be in hell or purgatory.
*shakes head*

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Iceman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 05, 2010, 02:53:56 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on March 05, 2010, 02:49:38 PM

*shakes head*

Pints you might disagree and that's cool.

My point earlier still stands - If I got it wrong no harm done.  If you have it wrong..............