Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Jumping from 10/11% in May 2019 to almost 25% in February 2020 was a big shift.
Shades of Labour 1992 and 2011 perhaps?
That didn't end well.
I'd suspect a lot of younger voters went with SF because of things like difficulty of buying houses and high rents.
Even people in very good jobs hadn't a hope of putting a deposit together unless they were living at home.
FF didn't convince anyone they'd make any difference as they were shoring up FG for 3 and a half years when they could have been pushing them to do something about housing.
Health issues would certainly have swung older people towards SF too.
And of course the irrelevance of Labour and SDP contributed.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: Rossfan on February 02, 2021, 12:10:18 PM
That didn't end well.
I'd suspect a lot of younger voters went with SF because of things like difficulty of buying houses and high rents.
Even people in very good jobs hadn't a hope of putting a deposit together unless they were living at home.
FF didn't convince anyone they'd make any difference as they were shoring up FG for 3 and a half years when they could have been pushing them to do something about housing.

SF are going to continue increasing their vote until such time as they get into power as FFG are ran by business interests.

SF don't even have to do much, just let Pearse Doherty, O'Broin and Matt Carthy outline their policies and ambitions and that will tap into what they will do differently.

FFG will continue to sling the mud at them but SF can only be judged when they have power and the fact that FFG keep creating these scandals of fueling of cronyism in official appointments, vulture capitalism on state resources, waste of public funds on their spin doctors and PR teams rather than issues like securing more health staff, sorting out zero hour contracts and minimum wages, providing affordable housing etc.

SF are capitalising by default due to the rotten and corrupt nature of FFG. The last election was a sea for change and FFG did not take notice of the mood of the electorate and have actually made things worse from their time in power.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Angelo on February 02, 2021, 11:38:06 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 02, 2021, 11:31:04 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 02, 2021, 10:45:02 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 02, 2021, 10:39:52 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 02, 2021, 10:38:17 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 02, 2021, 10:03:18 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 02, 2021, 09:42:52 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on February 01, 2021, 11:19:25 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 01, 2021, 09:18:01 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on February 01, 2021, 09:08:43 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 01, 2021, 08:21:30 PM
Serious question.

Would people actually consider the SDLP nationalist?

Yes.

Any SDLP politicians I know are nationalist and able . SF though the largest party have not been capitalising on the growing nationalist demographic, Alliance has capitalised on this demographic, as the post-troubles generation are attracted by the middle ground. SF biggest problem is avoiding controversy to try and capture more of the middle ground. Hardliners (excluding the tiny percentage who are dissident) are shoo-in and likely to remain loyal , but there is ground to be made closer to the middle . In addition , Hard left ideology brings with it a ceiling to its support, and though attractive to those suffering through poverty, the middle ground are nervous that at a time of uncertainty due to brexit, Covid and potential border poll, a hard left government could be disastrous. SF's only chance of increasing its vote is trying to capture the middle ground, that will involve softening its hard left reputation and showing genuine remorse for victims of the conflict . They are on the verge of power north and south but lack allies, and will have to build up relationships with parties closest to them, and get the young vote out particularly

SF have the support levels they need, they are not going to win any more ground than they already have. SDLP and Alliance are probably as well subsume each other, they have that kind of middle ground won't rock the board and will support the state institutions without question. Where is an SDLP stronghold for example? The Hume legacy in Derry city? Other than that and some middle class catholic areas in Belfast and Down, the SDLP don't dominate nationalist areas politically.

I find this board strange, seems to be more SDLP supporters on it than SF despite SF being the overwhelmingly majority nationalist party in the O6. Maybe it's just that we have a lot of the comfortable middle class teachers on here.

I imagine, There's plenty of SF supporters on this board Angelo. You don't have to be an SDLP supporter to disagree with many of the views and approach you have displayed on various threads

It would be odd for SF supporters to continually criticise SF and say nothing about the SDLP though.

Personally I would have a lot of criticisms of SF too but I am also aware that for me anyway they are the only nationalist party on this whole island. SDLP could be in power for the next 100 years and would make no attempt to forward reunification, they have always be too willing to take the subservient role to bigoted unionism as doing otherwise might damage their own standing.

The SDLP are a middle ground party much the same as Alliance for me with no real identity.

Honestly are you taking the piss now?

Maybe tell us a few anecdotes there as you are a very objective and non partisan poster when it comes to SF.....

WTF-SF are the only nationalist party on this island? Thats a new one , mad even for you

Without question.

You have staunch far right unionist parties - DUP, UUP, TUV.

Middle ground parties who just go with the flow - Alliance, SDLP Greens, Social Democrats

Left parties - PBP

Partionist parties who are reticent to any talks of reunification - FF, FG, Labour.

Nationalist parties - SF and possibly you could include Aontu but they are a fringe organisation

SF are the only party on this island serious about nationalism but you are so entrenched in an agenda to slur them at every opportunity with anecdotes and hearsay, the problem is that people can see your agenda as clear as day so the more you say the more emboldened people get. Did you ever think of teaming up with Ruth Dudley Edwards?

Well lets just agree that you aren't going to get a first class honours anytime soon in politics.

The only person who'll agree with you is Ruth Dudley Edwards or Gregory Campbell.

Point proven, I am utterly convinced at this stage that you are very young, not that there is anything wrong with that or that it should exclude you from giving a response, but you are so ill informed that I can only conclude that you have not honestly had enough time to read up on history or even current affairs for that matter.

Angelo

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 02, 2021, 12:21:02 PM
Serious question.

Yes.

Any SDLP politicians I know are nationalist and able . SF though the largest party have not been capitalising on the growing nationalist demographic, Alliance has capitalised on this demographic, as the post-troubles generation are attracted by the middle ground. SF biggest problem is avoiding controversy to try and capture more of the middle ground. Hardliners (excluding the tiny percentage who are dissident) are shoo-in and likely to remain loyal , but there is ground to be made closer to the middle . In addition , Hard left ideology brings with it a ceiling to its support, and though attractive to those suffering through poverty, the middle ground are nervous that at a time of uncertainty due to brexit, Covid and potential border poll, a hard left government could be disastrous. SF's only chance of increasing its vote is trying to capture the middle ground, that will involve softening its hard left reputation and showing genuine remorse for victims of the conflict . They are on the verge of power north and south but lack allies, and will have to build up relationships with parties closest to them, and get the young vote out particularly

SF have the support levels they need, they are not going to win any more ground than they already have. SDLP and Alliance are probably as well subsume each other, they have that kind of middle ground won't rock the board and will support the state institutions without question. Where is an SDLP stronghold for example? The Hume legacy in Derry city? Other than that and some middle class catholic areas in Belfast and Down, the SDLP don't dominate nationalist areas politically.

I find this board strange, seems to be more SDLP supporters on it than SF despite SF being the overwhelmingly majority nationalist party in the O6. Maybe it's just that we have a lot of the comfortable middle class teachers on here.

I imagine, There's plenty of SF supporters on this board Angelo. You don't have to be an SDLP supporter to disagree with many of the views and approach you have displayed on various threads

It would be odd for SF supporters to continually criticise SF and say nothing about the SDLP though.

Personally I would have a lot of criticisms of SF too but I am also aware that for me anyway they are the only nationalist party on this whole island. SDLP could be in power for the next 100 years and would make no attempt to forward reunification, they have always be too willing to take the subservient role to bigoted unionism as doing otherwise might damage their own standing.

The SDLP are a middle ground party much the same as Alliance for me with no real identity.

Maybe tell us a few anecdotes there as you are a very objective and non partisan poster when it comes to SF.....

WTF-SF are the only nationalist party on this island? Thats a new one , mad even for you

Without question.

Middle ground parties who just go with the flow - Alliance, SDLP Greens, Social Democrats

Left parties - PBP

Partionist parties who are reticent to any talks of reunification - FF, FG, Labour.

Nationalist parties - SF and possibly you could include Aontu but they are a fringe organisation

SF are the only party on this island serious about nationalism but you are so entrenched in an agenda to slur them at every opportunity with anecdotes and hearsay, the problem is that people can see your agenda as clear as day so the more you say the more emboldened people get. Did you ever think of teaming up with Ruth Dudley Edwards?

Well lets just agree that you aren't going to get a first class honours anytime soon in politics.

The only person who'll agree with you is Ruth Dudley Edwards or Gregory Campbell.

Point proven, I am utterly convinced at this stage that you are very young, not that there is anything wrong with that or that it should exclude you from giving a response, but you are so ill informed that I can only conclude that you have not honestly had enough time to read up on history or even current affairs for that matter.

More nonsense from yourself. You really struggle to leave youR agenda at the door.

It's ironic that you are calling me young as it's not very mature behaviour to be running around the internet slandering people and a political party at every turn with hearsay and anecdotal evidence. You're behaving like an obsessed jilted lover. Very immature.

Try and deal in factual matters rather than the kind of Ruth Dudley Edwards contributions you make on here and people might actually respect your contributions on this matter. I think most people cringe when you turn everything into a SF bashing festival, you're ultimately a one trick pony on this forum.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Angelo on February 02, 2021, 12:30:04 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 02, 2021, 12:21:02 PM
Serious question.

Yes.

Without question.

Left parties - PBP

More nonsense from yourself. You really struggle to leave youR agenda at the door.

It's ironic that you are calling me young as it's not very mature behaviour to be running around the internet slandering people and a political party at every turn with hearsay and anecdotal evidence. You're behaving like an obsessed jilted lover. Very immature.

Try and deal in factual matters rather than the kind of Ruth Dudley Edwards contributions you make on here and people might actually respect your contributions on this matter. I think most people cringe when you turn everything into a SF bashing festival, you're ultimately a one trick pony on this forum.
[/b]

RDE?- Im a republican lmfao
most people cringe-Thats some talent you have there, being able to speak for most people, fair play to you.
one trick pony-If you have a look a wee bit closer you will find out that to be balls, you just dont get annoyed with the other stuff lol

Angelo

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 02, 2021, 12:51:07 PM

most people cringe-Thats some talent you have there, being able to speak for most people, fair play to you.
one trick pony-If you have a look a wee bit closer you will find out that to be balls, you just dont get annoyed with the other stuff lol

A republican who goes around on an internet forum attacking the main republican party on the most flimsy premise which he is only able to back up with anecdotes and hearsay.

You are a single issue poster on here, 90% of your posts are attacks on SF. Surely a republican would have more pressing concerns than attacking the main arm of it on this island?

You probably need to build a bridge and get over it when it comes to SF.

Tony Baloney

I see in the local paper today that Mickey Brady pulled in £150k in expenses for FY2019-2020. I live in Armagh and you'd hardly know this fella exists so I'm curious as to what he does for his 150k.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Angelo on February 02, 2021, 01:06:40 PM

A republican who goes around on an internet forum attacking the main republican party on the most flimsy premise which he is only able to back up with anecdotes and hearsay.

You are a single issue poster on here, 90% of your posts are attacks on SF. Surely a republican would have more pressing concerns than attacking the main arm of it on this island?

I think you need to keep up, even back to the start of this conversation I didn't bash SF, I told you that you were talking absolute nonsense by saying they were only nationalist party on island, come on that has to be a major wind up, nobody is that ill informed.

Here is another wee anecdote for your beloved SF since you say I am great man for them- the feckers wouldn't even allow Peggy to go in republican plot- and it was 100% SF gave that message- Their brand of republicanism stinks to high heavens and I for one wont be beat into silence on it just to keep "most people" from cringing as you say.

BTW, gone have a wee click on profile and read back on posts to blow that 90% bullsh&t out of the water, its not hard, even for you

trailer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 02, 2021, 01:18:25 PM
I see in the local paper today that Mickey Brady pulled in £150k in expenses for FY2019-2020. I live in Armagh and you'd hardly know this fella exists so I'm curious as to what he does for his 150k.

SF gravy train... all aboard... choo, choo..!!

Angelo

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 02, 2021, 01:18:47 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 02, 2021, 01:06:40 PM

I think you need to keep up, even back to the start of this conversation I didn't bash SF, I told you that you were talking absolute nonsense by saying they were only nationalist party on island, come on that has to be a major wind up, nobody is that ill informed.

Here is another wee anecdote for your beloved SF since you say I am great man for them- the feckers wouldn't even allow Peggy to go in republican plot- and it was 100% SF gave that message- Their brand of republicanism stinks to high heavens and I for one wont be beat into silence on it just to keep "most people" from cringing as you say.

BTW, gone have a wee click on profile and read back on posts to blow that 90% bullsh&t out of the water, its not hard, even for you

Getting a wee bit defensive now. You'll have to work hard on talking about other things than SF. It's 90% of your content on here.

dublin7

That didn't end well.

SF's increased share of the vote was more of a protest vote against FF/FG than anything they did themselves in the south. One SF candidate got elected top of the poll in her constituency despite going on holidays for the last week of the election campaign. SF's populist policy of criticising everything is fine in opposition, but given they are likely to be the dominant party after the next election this strategy won't work anymore.

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on February 02, 2021, 01:56:07 PM
That didn't end well.

SF's increased share of the vote was more of a protest vote against FF/FG than anything they did themselves in the south. One SF candidate got elected top of the poll in her constituency despite going on holidays for the last week of the election campaign. SF's populist policy of criticising everything is fine in opposition, but given they are likely to be the dominant party after the next election this strategy won't work anymore.

Nothing really to do with SF as you said.

All do with a century of FFG incompetence and corruption

Who do you vote for anyway?

trailer

I'm sure SF are delighted they have these posters advocating for them on here. Anti-lockdown, anti-vaccine republicans. That's the sort of support SF will want if they want to become mainstream and get into government in the south lol.

general_lee

Quote from: trailer on February 02, 2021, 02:02:10 PM
I'm sure SF are delighted they have these posters advocating for them on here. Anti-lockdown, anti-vaccine republicans. That's the sort of support SF will want if they want to become mainstream and get into government in the south lol.
Who are you on about?

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on February 02, 2021, 02:02:10 PM

I'd guess that SF don't regard the 'General Discussion' subsection of gaaboard.com as being as influential in society as you apparently do.