Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

Don't know much about I would assume they want the power to fast track developments were are central to these "Enterprise Zones ". Waiting years for planning decisions probably isn't best for stimulating economic activity.

Kid Twist

Thatcher had enterprise zones in the 80s and Major had them in the 90s-mainly across the water but some in the north also. Free market favourite, won't create meaningful long term jobs but leave legacy of poorly built and planned business parks in the oddest of places. Sinn Fein have sank to a new low.

orangeman

Quote from: Kid Twist on June 24, 2013, 11:50:54 PM
Thatcher had enterprise zones in the 80s and Major had them in the 90s-mainly across the water but some in the north also. Free market favourite, won't create meaningful long term jobs but leave legacy of poorly built and planned business parks in the oddest of places. Sinn Fein have sank to a new low.

Is there a grant for that ?

Ulick

Quote from: Kid Twist on June 24, 2013, 11:50:54 PM

How else do you attract investment?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on June 24, 2013, 10:14:56 PM
Don't know much about I would assume they want the power to fast track developments were are central to these "Enterprise Zones ". Waiting years for planning decisions probably isn't best for stimulating economic activity.
Surely you just implement a fast track process through the DoE rather than grab the reins yourself? Peter has a history of shady property deals which is why people are rightly concerned.

Ulick

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 25, 2013, 07:49:31 AM
Surely you just implement a fast track process through the DoE rather than grab the reins yourself? Peter has a history of shady property deals which is why people are rightly concerned.

Dunno. I've managing a project at the minute for a firm with pretty rigorous but cumbersome quality control processes. As part of the project initiation I successfully argued to have the project exempted from normal proceedures because we know there are a number of big British and an Irish firm working on similar stuff. Being able to skip the existing management tiers and have my project decisions directly backed by the firms directors will not only speed up my project timelines but give me an advantage over the other firms. Is this not what is also happening with these economic zones and what people were crying out for after the John Lewis debacle?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on June 25, 2013, 08:03:27 AM

Dunno. I've managing a project at the minute for a firm with pretty rigorous but cumbersome quality control processes. As part of the project initiation I successfully argued to have the project exempted from normal proceedures because we know there are a number of big British and an Irish firm working on similar stuff. Being able to skip the existing management tiers and have my project decisions directly backed by the firms directors will not only speed up my project timelines but give me an advantage over the other firms. Is this not what is also happening with these economic zones and what people were crying out for after the John Lewis debacle?
There is no doubt Atwood is a balloon and there should be a less circuitous route for projects with a significant economic impact. The fact that Robbo has form might mean he keeps his nose especially clean. We'll see.

Applesisapples

The issue here is that development will take place at the behest of developers and sod the environmental damage. Attwood's hands aren't clean here either, just look at the new golf resort at the north coast. In addition our countryside is beginning to look like Donegal in the '80's with to many single dwellings often two storey mansions. We need to make sure that we develop brown field sites and our inner cities rather than acceding to the developers preferred green field option...cheaper to build...more developers profit. Sad to see the shinners behaving like FF did in the ROI.

LeoMc

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 25, 2013, 09:08:13 AM
The issue here is that development will take place at the behest of developers and sod the environmental damage. Attwood's hands aren't clean here either, just look at the new golf resort at the north coast. In addition our countryside is beginning to look like Donegal in the '80's with to many single dwellings often two storey mansions. We need to make sure that we develop brown field sites and our inner cities rather than acceding to the developers preferred green field option...cheaper to build...more developers profit. Sad to see the shinners behaving like FF did in the ROI.

We will have to rename Down royal before they will open a tent there.

Applesisapples

Quote from: LeoMc on June 25, 2013, 09:10:44 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 25, 2013, 09:08:13 AM

We will have to rename Down royal before they will open a tent there.
I don't think so sure Marty and Liz are best buds now. They are even friends on FB I hear.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 24, 2013, 10:04:03 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on June 24, 2013, 09:18:39 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on June 24, 2013, 09:13:46 PM
So DUP and Sinn Fein attempting a power grab on the DOE with an amendment to transfer planning powers in the Enterprise Zones to OFMDFM, DUP property developing mates must love this. An issue that will affect loads of people here but all people seem interested in is the latest marching sham fight between SF and DUP

SF playing nice as usual, I suppose it will be the turn of the DUP to roll over next for something SF want.

Would this not be a good thing? Create much needed jobs in construction.
Why does OFMDFM need to have the power? Why not DOE, where planning normally sits?
"Why does OFMDFM need to have the power"?

I should have thought it obvious: It's so Peter and Marty can shovel an even bigger share of Government money the way of their pals to develop projects - needed or not - in the areas where they (DUP/SF Axis) want to boost their own support.

That way, Peter can get his cut easier and quicker, and Marty can claim to be making the 6 ever more like the 26, one dodgy deal at a time... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Saffrongael

Jackie McDonald and Spike Murray will probably be project managing the Enterprise zones.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Maguire01

Quote from: Ulick on June 25, 2013, 08:03:27 AM

That analogy misses the issue - the 'power grab'. All this is doing is replacing one 'director' (DOE) with another 'director' (OFMDFM). In itself, it's not making the process any less cumbersome. The question remains (although others have answered), why move the power from the Environment Minister to the First Minister/deputy First Minister?

Maguire01

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 25, 2013, 02:09:40 PM
So DUP and Sinn Fein attempting a power grab on the DOE with an amendment to transfer planning powers in the Enterprise Zones to OFMDFM, DUP property developing mates must love this. An issue that will affect loads of people here but all people seem interested in is the latest marching sham fight between SF and DUP

SF playing nice as usual, I suppose it will be the turn of the DUP to roll over next for something SF want.

Why does OFMDFM need to have the power? Why not DOE, where planning normally sits?

I should have thought it obvious: It's so Peter and Marty can shovel an even bigger share of Government money the way of their pals to develop projects - needed or not - in the areas where they (DUP/SF Axis) want to boost their own support.

That way, Peter can get his cut easier and quicker, and Marty can claim to be making the 6 ever more like the 26, one dodgy deal at a time... ::)
I assume you realised my question was largely rhetorical?

Evil Genius

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 25, 2013, 07:28:29 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on June 25, 2013, 02:09:40 PM

I assume you realised my question was largely rhetorical?
And I assume you realise my "answer" was largely for the benefit of others, especially those who may not appreciate the way things are done in NI.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"