Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glens abu

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 26, 2013, 06:12:59 PM
Quote from: orangeman on March 26, 2013, 01:27:41 PM
Is this all we have to argue about now ?

Sinn Fein has criticised the return of the world famous Red Arrows air display team to Northern Ireland.
If i'm not mistaken, this is the same Councillor that was waving a tricolour at last year's St Patrick's Day parade - showing it the same respect as the loyalist protesters show their flag.

So everyone around the country and around the world for that matter who wave the tricolour on St.Patricks day you equate with the loyalist flag protesters :o,catch a grip.

glens abu

Or maybe it's the same SF most of whose leaders fought the British both inside and outside the jails for over 30 years,or the same SF who have supported the Palestinian people both in the past and in the present,just a few weeks ago Pat Sheehan a former hunger striker was there in support of those on hunger strike in Palestine.The same SF who had members involved in the efforts to break the blockade of Gaza.The same SF who at every opportunity let it be known about the injustices inflicted on the Palestinian people whether that is to Obama,Cameron,or the Israeli ambassador.Everyone has their part to play as Sands said but some like to talk all the time while others can walk the walk as well.I understand those who have fallen out of love for the Shinners but please at least be honest about what they do sometimes.

Maguire01

Quote from: glens abu on March 26, 2013, 07:25:19 PM

Sinn Fein has criticised the return of the world famous Red Arrows air display team to Northern Ireland.
If i'm not mistaken, this is the same Councillor that was waving a tricolour at last year's St Patrick's Day parade - showing it the same respect as the loyalist protesters show their flag.

So everyone around the country and around the world for that matter who wave the tricolour on St.Patricks day you equate with the loyalist flag protesters :o,catch a grip.
No, not everyone everywhere. Down Council had a 25-year policy of flying the Cross of St Patrick, with the aim of the parade being a cross community event. This Councillor went on a solo run last year, for no apparent reason. The result was bad feeling and a number of schools pulling out of the parade. What exactly did it achieve? What will his current objections achieve?

glens abu

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 26, 2013, 07:42:24 PM

No, not everyone everywhere. Down Council had a 25-year policy of flying the Cross of St Patrick, with the aim of the parade being a cross community event. This Councillor went on a solo run last year, for no apparent reason. The result was bad feeling and a number of schools pulling out of the parade. What exactly did it achieve? What will his current objections achieve?

Not saying it will achieve anything but irrespective of what Down council pass I still believe he has a right to fly his National flag on St.Patricks day the same as thousands of others do all around the rest of Ireland and abroad.

Saffrongael

Pats travels to Palestine will no doubt come as great comfort to the children of West Belfast, the constituency he is an MLA for, who suffer from the second highest levels of child poverty in the UK. Brits fault no doubt.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

glens abu

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 26, 2013, 08:34:34 PM
Pats travels to Palestine will no doubt come as great comfort to the children of West Belfast, the constituency he is an MLA for, who suffer from the second highest levels of child poverty in the UK. Brits fault no doubt.

Sure I know you and your chums in Ardoyne would rather blame Irishmen than the Brits anyway so there you go.Keep reading the Gospel according to Martin Og or have you give him the elbow.

Maguire01

Quote from: glens abu on March 26, 2013, 07:50:55 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 26, 2013, 07:42:24 PM

Not saying it will achieve anything but irrespective of what Down council pass I still believe he has a right to fly his National flag on St.Patricks day the same as thousands of others do all around the rest of Ireland and abroad.
Yes, he has every right. Forget sensible politics and good community relations - he got to wave a flag. Sound familiar?

armaghniac

QuoteYes, he has every right. Forget sensible politics and good community relations - he got to wave a flag. Sound familiar?

An Irish person celebrating St Patrick's day as people do in Melbourne, New York, Madrid and Moscow has nothing whatsoever to do with a crowd of sectarian bigots blocking roads.

This is like Orange Order = GAA, a fallacious attempt to equate two things that are not similar.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: armaghniac on March 27, 2013, 12:37:02 AM
QuoteYes, he has every right. Forget sensible politics and good community relations - he got to wave a flag. Sound familiar?

An Irish person celebrating St Patrick's day as people do in Melbourne, New York, Madrid and Moscow has nothing whatsoever to do with a crowd of sectarian bigots blocking roads.

This is like Orange Order = GAA, a fallacious attempt to equate two things that are not similar.

I noticed this Paddy's Day here in Liverpool, every single person I saw with a tricolour draped over them and I also heard speak were from the North.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Maguire01

Not at all. Context is everything. Comparisons with New York or Moscow are disingenuous. Down Council had an agreement that had been maintained for many years. One Councillor decided his wishes were more important.

Take the example of a new housing development in NI, mixed with both Catholics and Protestants. There's an agreement not to fly flags. Now there's nothing to actually stop anyone flying a flag, apart from this understanding. Then one of the residents decides to put up a Union flag. It's his right. People do it in housing developments in loads of places. But just because it's his right, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. What is it likely to do for relations with his neighbours?

In terms of respect for the flag, there's a direct reference to be made to the loyalist fleg protesters. The tricolour was intended to symbolise the Catholics and Protestants, with white in the middle - peace. If someone on the 'green' side of the fence flying that flag, knowing full well that it's antagonising those on the 'orange' side of the fence, then in my opinion, that's disrespecting the flag.

But I don't expect you or glens abu to agree.

armaghniac

QuoteBut I don't expect you or glens abu to agree.

Are the Red Arrows unjustified in coming to Downpatrick because this guy takes offence?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

theticklemister

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 27, 2013, 01:54:31 AM

I noticed this Paddy's Day here in Liverpool, every single person I saw with a tricolour draped over them and I also heard speak were from the North.

All of them?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: theticklemister on March 28, 2013, 06:57:38 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 27, 2013, 01:54:31 AM

All of them?

Yes 100% of those I heard speak and had a tricolour draped over them had 6 county accents. I cannot comment on those I did not hear speak.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

glens abu

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 27, 2013, 10:55:22 PM

Not at all. Context is everything. Comparisons with New York or Moscow are disingenuous. Down Council had an agreement that had been maintained for many years. One Councillor decided his wishes were more important.

Take the example of a new housing development in NI, mixed with both Catholics and Protestants. There's an agreement not to fly flags. Now there's nothing to actually stop anyone flying a flag, apart from this understanding. Then one of the residents decides to put up a Union flag. It's his right. People do it in housing developments in loads of places. But just because it's his right, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. What is it likely to do for relations with his neighbours?

In terms of respect for the flag, there's a direct reference to be made to the loyalist fleg protesters. The tricolour was intended to symbolise the Catholics and Protestants, with white in the middle - peace. If someone on the 'green' side of the fence flying that flag, knowing full well that it's antagonising those on the 'orange' side of the fence, then in my opinion, that's disrespecting the flag.

ButI don't expect you or glens abu to agree.

100% think if I was to agree with all of this I would join the stoops.

Antrim Coaster

Mayogodhelpus. Please define a 6 County accent