NTL- Is yours working

Started by Square Ball, January 24, 2007, 09:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Is anyone else having trouble with their NTL TV in the Belfast area? Mine has been off from 16:00 and i couldnt get the Customer Services number at all, kept getting the no such number tone.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

yep, everyone I know has lost signal as well and I couldn't get the C/S on the phone either.
Seems that there updating the signal! Probably to try and catch out chipped boxes!
Tbc....

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Square Ball

lynchbhoy

mine went this morning in Dublin .... :(

johnneycool

My NTL was down all last night as well. I did manage to get through to their help desk who proceeded to tell me the the whole of Norn Iron and Scotland were affected with a network outage and would be back up in a few hours. That was at 6pm and the feckin thing wasn't up all night.

I asked about compensation but they told me the service had to be out for over 24 hours before I was entitled to any.

Richard Branson sends out these fancy flyers about Virgin Media, the new name for NTL. It'd answer him better sorting out his infrastructure and customer services as the tunred the help line off later that night.

What sort of network goes down for this length of time? Iraq Telecom have a better network, trust me.

gerrykeegan

I ditched NTL TV before Christmas and their broadband this week. I have yet to receive a reply from any of my E-mails, letters and phone messages. They are without a Shadow of a doubt the company with the worst customer services department in the world.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Fionntamhnach

Point of note - NTL in Northern Ireland (& Scotland) are part of the NTL Telewest Group, NTL in the south are part of the UPC Group with Chorus. Not the same company.

There appears to be some fault, possibly in Manchester, as some Freeview channels were also affected by an outage too.

Square Ball

is it up in Dublin Lynchboy?

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 24, 2007, 09:32:34 PM
Seems that there updating the signal! Probably to try and catch out chipped boxes!

wonder if this is why. apparently there are new boxes that when the frequency is changed it automatically re-calibrates and away you go, allegedly. any info anyone?

Blacksheep

What coverage has this system? I  see they're doing TG4 on c877? Is that right? Is it only in Belfast & Dublin?
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Fionntamhnach

From gathering information elsewhere on the Interweb, NTL services in Glasgow were also affected around the same time but for an unrelated reason. Apparently the NTL outage yesterday in Belfast was caused by damage to a cable in the Irish Sea, maybe caused by a fishing trawler. Not NTL's fault then.

TG4 was launched in Belfast for digital customers this week.

Quotewonder if this is why. apparently there are new boxes that when the frequency is changed it automatically re-calibrates and away you go, allegedly. any info anyone?
Without getting too technical, certain channels could get moved to different multiplexes i.e. frequencies to accommodate new services. The EPG on a standard NTL digital receiver will cope with this grand.

Lecale2

Quote from: Blacksheep on January 25, 2007, 10:41:22 PM
What coverage has this system? I  see they're doing TG4 on c877? Is that right? Is it only in Belfast & Dublin?
I can't get TG4 on my NTL. Can anybody get it in the North? Do I have to ring them about it?

Square Ball

Can get it on mine either, give them a ring Lecale and let me know what happens. mind you can get a decent picture on the portable one.

johnneycool

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 25, 2007, 11:00:36 PM
From gathering information elsewhere on the Interweb, NTL services in Glasgow were also affected around the same time but for an unrelated reason. Apparently the NTL outage yesterday in Belfast was caused by damage to a cable in the Irish Sea, maybe caused by a fishing trawler. Not NTL's fault then.

That's balls, it mightn'd of been NTL's fault that the cable was damaged, but no telecoms company worth it's salt has not got resilience built into it's network especially when using under sea fiber optic links.

This latest incident really shows them up to be a mickey mouse outfit.

Fionntamhnach

Quote from: johnneycool on January 26, 2007, 08:50:11 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 25, 2007, 11:00:36 PM

For whatever reason, the resiliency didn't kick in. Its not an uncommon event, last year many of the Freeview services here were lost when there was a fire at an underground BT network centre in Manchester which carried many of the TV and radio channels over to Divis Mountain.

That's balls, it mightn'd of been NTL's fault that the cable was damaged, but no telecoms company worth it's salt has not got resilience built into it's network especially when using under sea fiber optic links.

This latest incident really shows them up to be a mickey mouse outfit.