Penalty Decisions

Started by Estimator, January 20, 2014, 04:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

I was going to post this on the Liverpool thread, but thought that Penalty Decisions should have its own thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OXvDcfIV9w

The above link is to the Manchester Utd v Chelsea FA Cup Final in 1994.  David Elleray was the referee. 

Utd were given two penalties that day:
1. Foul on Irwin (watch from 1min)
2. Foul on Kanchelskis (watch from 3.30min)

The foul on Irwin was a definite penalty and a ridiculous tackle by Newton. 
The second decision most people would say it was a penalty, but the Utd player went down easy looking for the decision.
Ulster League Champions 2009

blewuporstuffed

The clearest penalty of the weekend for me was Dawsons push on Bony in the Spurs v Swansea game, right in front of the referee.
Not given.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 20, 2014, 04:44:42 PM
The clearest penalty of the weekend for me was Dawsons push on Bony in the Spurs v Swansea game, right in front of the referee.
Not given.

How the ref never gave that amazes me.

deiseach

David Elleray's Wikipedia page has a link suggesting he admitted in his autobiography that he made a mistake at the time with the second penalty in the 1994 final. Which is strange, considering he said in an interview that evening that he was sure he got it right. He's the reason I'm sure there will never be a shortage of referees because of getting too much lip from players or fans (threats of violence are another matter) as there are plenty of people out there who are psychologically capable of convincing themselves they are right even when all objective evidence tells them they are wrong.

magpie seanie

What exactly is the point of this thread?

J70

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 20, 2014, 06:04:44 PM
What exactly is the point of this thread?

Think its where we all gather to discuss the latest dodgy penalty and presumably that this "problem" has been present since at least 1994. I'm assuming its not so Liverpool/United fans can sanctimoniously howl in indignation at the cheating of the "other" team, although that has somewhat subsided with the emergence of the likes of Januzaj this season as a counterpart to Suarez.

I'm just old enough to remember a Wolves player (Hibbitt or something) blatantly diving in the last minute of an early 80s FA cup semi final against Spurs to salvage a replay. He claimed after the game that he HAD to do it under the circumstances.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Estimator on January 20, 2014, 04:31:16 PM
I was going to post this on the Liverpool thread, but thought that Penalty Decisions should have its own thread.

The above link is to the Manchester Utd v Chelsea FA Cup Final in 1994.  David Elleray was the referee. 

The second decision most people would say it was a penalty, but the Utd player went down easy looking for the decision.

Broke my heart that game. Chelsea well in it until the goal, and then fell apart. I thought after that game, that it would be 30 years before we'd see another Cup final.....
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

nrico2006

I was still in primary school and remember watching the 94 FA Cup Final in the Greyhound bar in Strabane.  In seeing the Kanchelskis penalty incident now, clear as day that it was a bad call.

The best bit was seeing my favourite United player of all time flicking the hand at that wee rat Wise before the first penalty.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 21, 2014, 05:15:45 AM

Broke my heart that game. Chelsea well in it until the goal, and then fell apart. I thought after that game, that it would be 30 years before we'd see another Cup final.....

...and then your fairy Godfather arrived with his bag of money....

deiseach

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 21, 2014, 11:47:02 AM

Chelsea won the FA Cup twice before Abramovich took over.

magpie seanie

Quote from: deiseach on January 21, 2014, 11:52:10 AM

3 times I think.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

deiseach

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 21, 2014, 12:09:14 PM
Quote from: deiseach on January 21, 2014, 11:52:10 AM

3 times I think.

True. I'll be more precise: Chelsea won the FA Cup twice between losing in 1994 and the fairy Godfather arriving with his bag of money.

Estimator

This one reminded me of the Liverpool penalty at the weekend

Fowler v Seaman
Ulster League Champions 2009