Laois GAA website

Started by redsetanta, July 19, 2016, 12:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

The website still has team news for the Armagh game in their main news section. Despite having county fixtures and results section there is nothing there.
Over the weekend their were developement squads in action with not a word anywhere. Over the last few weeks we had the celtic cup hurling and again no coverage at all on the website.
How difficult would it be for someone to gather the data and info from respective managers, coaches or reporters if they were there and put the info on the site.
The website is almost a mirror for the interest in LAoois GAA at the moment. You would get more info about Laois teams from other county sites.
It reflects badly on the county board and surely it would benefit the younger players to be able to see some photos or reports from their games.
A very poor effort by whoever is in charge of it. We are so far down the technology road at this stage and we cannot update our official website.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

I agree it's being a gripe of mine for a long time now!
LAOIS ABÚ

Heshs Umpire

Ye beat me to it lads. The website and twitter account used to be so much better. It's a real pity how they've slipped since the previous IT officer stepped down.
Having a month old team sheet as the most recent news item is embarrassing.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Don Draper

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on July 19, 2016, 12:53:27 PM
Ye beat me to it lads. The website and twitter account used to be so much better. It's a real pity how they've slipped since the previous IT officer stepped down.
Having a month old team sheet as the most recent news item is embarrassing.
Would seem so. The issue is the previous IT Officer wasn't replaced and the work was just landed somewhere else. It reflects badly on the current PRO if anyone.

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

given that we have a full time secretary, you would think he could find half an hour most weeks/days and update things.
the PRO after all is just another volunteer as distinct from a career professional.

Heshs Umpire

Surely there's an IT officer?! There has to be really.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Downtheroad

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on July 19, 2016, 09:28:59 PM
Surely there's an IT officer?! There has to be really.
I don't see it as an IT Officer role to update news on a website. It's an administrative task which falls within the office in Portlaoise. The PRO should see that it is done and at the very least the full time secretary should get somebody to do the thing if he hasn't time himself. I would see the IT officer role more of a technical nature and there's plenty of that to be done. By the way Portlaoise B seems to have been corrected as I haven't seen it in a while.

The other point is social media which is very  quiet at Laois GAA level. Basically the best chance of getting news is through clubs social media which is run by volunteers. I think I'm fast coming to the conclusion that if people are paid to do what were ostensibly volunteer tasks, it comes a chore and probably needs to be added to the role profile.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Totally agree with all comments above, the site is a disgrace and a slap in the face to all Laois supporters. It's the first place you go to if you wand to find out about all things Laois but it's sadly lacking in information.
This forum is way better in terms of information than our "Official Laois Website" and only for this place we would be in a sorry place if we wanted to discuss things.
Is it run by the county board or is it farmed out to someone..??
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Bueller

Would any of you boys be willing to take on a bit of the work? Maybe a few of us could step up?

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Would the Co. Board allow that? The website must be maintained by someone at the moment and you can't just step in there and take over. I would certainly be willing to help out if it were possible.

Downtheroad

Here is the link to the Kilkenny Gaa website;    http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/

This is an eye opener as regards the standards expected. Also, they don't have a full time secretary laying down the law. Mind you I wouldn't mess with the likes of Ned Quinn and Jimmy Walsh  who are serious operators. The website has results going back to 2010. 

SCFC

They really should take down the so called "news" section.

Downtheroad

The Laois website hasn't updated results for a few days while the news section has not been changed since July.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Doesn't even have the draws for the SFC Semi Finals up, one of the most important fixtures of the year for gaa gaels.

Dave like the tv channel

last results up are for the 16th. SFC QF weekend and nothing posted.