PDC Premier League of Darts

Started by Seany, March 12, 2010, 12:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 02, 2018, 12:00:53 AM
Quote from: Syferus on January 01, 2018, 11:36:57 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 01, 2018, 11:28:37 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 01, 2018, 10:11:34 PM
Taylor hammered by unknown Rob Cross, such a perfect way for him to go out  ;D ;D ;D
Surely for any of his haters a perfect way for him to go out was early exit and not to reach the final collecting 170,000 cheque and bear in mind that is close to the same money he collected for his last World title win in 2013.

Taylor wasn't playing this tournament to top up his bank account.

Played it to give it his best shot on his last ever World tournament. Lets be honest He had no chance of winning the final after that kiss of death prediction ;D

Quote from: Syferus on December 31, 2017, 12:13:50 AM
Taylor is going to do Cross.

Disaster.

I was hoping I'd jinx the bastard alright. I'm delighted he got humiliated so I'm afraid you're on a losing docket there.

AZOffaly

Big shake up in the premier league.
Mvg
Wright
Cross
Anderson
Gurney
Sulovic
Barney
Whitlock
Williams
Price
Out go Taylor, Adrian Lewis,  Chizzy,  wade, huybrechts and klaasen.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 02, 2018, 12:16:05 AM
Mvg
Wright
Cross
Anderson
Gurney
Sulovic
Barney
Whitlock
Williams
Price

How does it work? I thought it was top 8 plus 2 wild cards? Obv not - Chizzy is 8th and with Taylor above him in the rankings that would move him up a step to 7th.
Smith has to feel lucky - he bombed in his first year in the premier league and he's 12th in the world rankings.

Also, wtf has happened to Adrian Lewis - 20th in the world some slip for one of the most naturally gifted (albeit totally lazy) players!
Hasta la victoria siempre

AZOffaly

I think it's actually just top 4 and 6 wildcards.

Gold

Cross was like a robot. Best ive ever seen on doubles.

Double 18 OMG!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 02, 2018, 12:16:05 AM
Mvg
Wright
Cross
Anderson
Gurney
Sulovic
Barney
Whitlock
Williams
Price

Bar Taylor going out theres not that much loss of quality in it except maybe Whitlock for Lewis. Lewis is playing like a drain but also has the potential to be very good.. Chizzy and Wade are good honest pros but probably on a downward trend.. The other two were easily expendable also.

The league starts in 4 weeks in Dublin, I'm taking my lad for his 1st trip to it 😎

bennydorano

I've been dipping in and out a bit in the Darts this past few months but very surprised to see Whitlock back in there?

TabClear

Quote from: bennydorano on January 02, 2018, 11:40:19 AM
I've been dipping in and out a bit in the Darts this past few months but very surprised to see Whitlock back in there?

Same as that. Fair play to Barney for sticking around so long at the top. I assume he is well over 50 now?

I think the quality is probably roughly the same in the Premier League as before (Taylor's exit excepted), but I would question whether the crowds will be as involved with the current list of players . Obviously Taylor had a unique standing in the game but the likes of Wade and Lewis also used to polarise opinion, both good and bad which created a lot of atmosphere.

Boycey

Quote from: bennydorano on January 02, 2018, 11:40:19 AM

He's be lucky to be in it but he's a popular enough thrower, capable enough when on form, always liable to finish 170 and has a good walk-on tune :)

Syferus

Quote from: bennydorano on January 02, 2018, 10:25:44 PM
Good article on Taylor and public ambivalence.

https://news.paddypower.com/darts/2018/01/02/phil-taylor-darts-greatest-but-will-he-be-missed/?AFF_ID=16562&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&dclid=CPD_7p2outgCFYqoUQodYgYJ5Q

Sums up his legacy brilliantly.

I would argue that the general perception of darts is much better than the author suggests, indeed I haven't heard many who've sneered at it as a sport in a long time. It's taken the place snooker held for many decades in the public's consciousness, from what I can see.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on January 02, 2018, 10:38:04 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 02, 2018, 10:25:44 PM
Good article on Taylor and public ambivalence.

https://news.paddypower.com/darts/2018/01/02/phil-taylor-darts-greatest-but-will-he-be-missed/?AFF_ID=16562&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&dclid=CPD_7p2outgCFYqoUQodYgYJ5Q

Sums up his legacy brilliantly.

I would argue that the general perception of darts is much better than the author suggests, indeed I haven't heard many who've sneered at it as a sport in a long time. It's taken the place snooker held for many decades in the public's consciousness, from what I can see.

Didn't read the article, but I think Darts is fairly well respected. The technical skill required, and the nerve needed to be a good darts player is very impressive.

Boycey

Written by a 25 year old 'freelance' journo who writes clickbait pieces for the Sun, Mirror, Daily Mail and Paddy Power, enough said..

Taylor indeed could be a right knob at times but his overall legacy will be his sheer domination of his sport over a substantial period. He also suffers from the well established begrudgery syndrome that is so popular in this part of the world the more you win the more people dislike you..

Minder

Quote from: Boycey on January 03, 2018, 11:25:39 AM
Written by a 25 year old 'freelance' journo who writes clickbait pieces for the Sun, Mirror, Daily Mail and Paddy Power, enough said..

Taylor indeed could be a right knob at times but his overall legacy will be his sheer domination of his sport over a substantial period. He also suffers from the well established begrudgery syndrome that is so popular in this part of the world the more you win the more people dislike you..

Don't think it's begrudhery with Taylor, more how he has conducted himself over the years. All smiles when he is winning but a cross between David Brent & a man child when it's not going his way.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on January 03, 2018, 11:45:59 AM
Quote from: Boycey on January 03, 2018, 11:25:39 AM

Don't think it's begrudhery with Taylor, more how he has conducted himself over the years. All smiles when he is winning but a cross between David Brent & a man child when it's not going his way.

I dont know anyone who likes losing! If you're a competitive sports man (Darts being a sport) then losing wont bring smiles...

Not all aspects of Taylor was great, but that said he's not on his own, plenty sportsmen out there who will always rub people up the wromg way.. his personal achievements in professional darts is hard to beat, so for that he has to be respected, his personal life is not going to make everyone happy but i doubt very much he gives a feck..

Ive been to the SSE when they played and its certainly a great nights entertainment, hopefully it continues to get stronger even with the fall off of some of the better characters 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea