PDC Premier League of Darts

Started by Seany, March 12, 2010, 12:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: dec on December 21, 2017, 12:24:19 AM
Quote from: SHEEDY on December 20, 2017, 08:51:35 PM
Great show by carlows steve lennon, he was beaten 3-2 by michael smith but he can be really proud of that performance. Started slow and missed a few doubles but really grew into it and smith was relieved to get over the line in the end.

Ireland (North or South) has never produced a really good darts player, unlike snooker where Higgins, Taylor and Doherty all have won the World Championship.

Dolan got to the final of the Grand Prix hitting the hardest possible 9 darter in the process; Gurney won the same competition this year.

Many larger darting countries than Ireland have never produced any major winners.

Boycey

Gurney shaping up well, he's currently number 4 in the world I think.

There are now far too many players in the World Championships and it goes on far too long. I suppose it's working as it packed every night. Mind you there are relatively few of them there for the darts  :)
One round less would be plenty, a couple of the sessions were almost completely devoid of any top players, the best on view last night was Simon Whitlock ffs if i went and he was top of the bill I'd feel short changed...

Syferus

Quote from: Boycey on December 21, 2017, 03:37:29 PM
Gurney shaping up well, he's currently number 4 in the world I think.

There are now far too many players in the World Championships and it goes on far too long. I suppose it's working as it packed every night. Mind you there are relatively few of them there for the darts  :)
One round less would be plenty, a couple of the sessions were almost completely devoid of any top players, the best on view last night was Simon Whitlock ffs if i went and he was top of the bill I'd feel short changed...

Far too many, with premlims knocking out the likes of Adrian Lewis!! The WC is not too long.

Boycey

Oh yeah I forgot you think Lewis is some kind of superstar  ;D

There'll always be shocks that's not really the point I'm making..

Syferus

Quote from: Boycey on December 21, 2017, 04:23:31 PM
Oh yeah I forgot you think Lewis is some kind of superstar  ;D

There'll always be shocks that's not really the point I'm making..

Two-time world champion - that's what makes him a star. Only player with the game to outscore Anderson or Van Gerwen going full bore.

There's been many more upsets in the first round this year. It's clear the overall standard in the PDC is going up and there's less sure bets, apart from maybe the top two. Reducing the size of the WC would be mad in that context.

bennydorano

The early rounds are perfect schedule fillers for Sky pre- Christmas, most years the real business doesn't kick in until the 27th December and it can feel like 2 different tournaments, but the shocks this year are testament to the rising standards & winning TV schedule / formula.

Boycey

Quote from: bennydorano on December 21, 2017, 05:15:22 PM
The early rounds are perfect schedule fillers for Sky pre- Christmas, most years the real business doesn't kick in until the 27th December and it can feel like 2 different tournaments, but the shocks this year are testament to the rising standards & winning TV schedule / formula.

That's near enough spot on but I'd say if ya looked back there's probably a couple of shocks every year. Look I love the darts I'll watch most nights but I think it's gone a wee bit quantity over quality..

AZOffaly

There's a fair few 3-0 and 3-1 too but I love them.

Boycey

Bloke with a Cavan4Sam sign in the crowd 😄.

AZOffaly

Saw that.  The ubiquitous Mayo 4 Sam was there a few years ago.

Syferus

Both of the first matches were one-sided.. in favour of the player who wasn't the seed.

square_ball

Justin Pipe being an asshole coughing behind a player as he was going for a double.

AZOffaly

Quote from: square_ball on December 22, 2017, 08:09:07 AM
Justin Pipe being an asshole coughing behind a player as he was going for a double.

I don't like watching him. He's so deliberate and looks like an arse.

square_ball

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 22, 2017, 08:27:55 AM

Just realised it was actually on match dart. I'd say the crowd will be on his back in the next match.

LooseCannon

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 22, 2017, 08:27:55 AM

At least I'm not the only one who thinks that.