Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Targetman

Quote from: Cuan12 on March 25, 2019, 07:39:15 AM
Read all these posts, lot of doom and gloom, lot of work required and a lot of patience required. I'm no different from all who post on this forum in wanting Down back at top table, our neighbours Armagh had been in Div3 for 3 yrs , Derry dropped to Div4, whilst these facts should not be used as excuses for our demise both these counties are on their way back up due to a lot of work at under age level and this work gradually developing genuine talent. I believe we are on this journey , we will bounce back , we have talent coming through the age groups and we are going to be in a good place within a few years so patience is required. Paddy Tally is working with a limited squad , I would love to see the fear of defeat thrown aside and go 15 on 15 , if not leave 3-4 forwards up beyond the opposition 45 but we need a good defence to do that and a decent midfield who can either pick a pass or carry the ball quickly out of defence.Kick out strategies are exactly that - strategies and we need more than one because we are sadly lacking in that area , Mooney is a natural forward , Flynn a half back , so to pillar them on this forum is unfair, these guys give up 5 out of 7 nights for their county and I include us in county, so go easy lads when critising players , we all get frustrated but let's get behind this group of players for Armagh game.
Patience is required, we haven't won an Ulster title since 1994, I think we've been more than patient!!

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: thewobbler on March 25, 2019, 07:58:10 AM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 24, 2019, 11:28:04 PM
Imo it is all down to management, and not player ability.
Especially when it is something like a kick out strategy.
One story that stuck with me - my uncle won a McRory cup under Gerry Browne's management in the fifties. He told me that Browne had a tactic that for every sideline ball that the Abbey won in the opponents half, that the end result was a player in position to take a scoreable point. And 99% of the time they scored.
If there is a manager getting paid to manage a team, surely a kick out strategy isn't too much to ask.

All I'm getting from this is that your uncle greatly exaggerates the ability of players from his youth, and that you're daft enough to believe him.

Yeah I know, an ulster schools cup winning side completing a set play devised by a future All Ireland senior winning manager.
Mad stuff altogether.
Kevin O'Neill must be daft as well:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/down-teams-dont-always-win-but-they-always-believe-they-can-win-26682053.html

'ON the old Dublin Road in Newry, on a hill overlooking Páirc Esler, lives Kevin O'Neill, wing-back on the 1960 team and brother of the celebrated attacker Seán. He attributes much of Down's style to the coaching input of Gerry Brown in the local CBS, the Abbey, in the 1950s, which he attended. He sees the style Brown cultivated and Down's brand as virtually indistinguishable.

"Brown was the first real coach that I encountered in football and he used to break the game down into different facets. I remember him having a team, an under 14 team, my brother Seán played on it in the Abbey, and it was the nearest thing to a machine you ever saw. He would show them how to make decoy runs, go through routines. Some of the scores they ran up in their games were staggering. Goals all over the place.'

Q.E.D
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Downman1996

A lot of people here saying about downs poor or lack of a kick out strategy.. would just like to point out down haven't had a quality midfielder since Ambrose & Big Dan, personally think this is a major flaw in downs game which from seeing a lot of club football I can't really see where the next quality midfielder is coming from!! Also a real star in the forward line is missing too, Ohare our closest thing but is too inconsistent & gets bullied by the big boys!

thewobbler

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 25, 2019, 06:10:20 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 25, 2019, 07:58:10 AM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 24, 2019, 11:28:04 PM
Imo it is all down to management, and not player ability.
Especially when it is something like a kick out strategy.
One story that stuck with me - my uncle won a McRory cup under Gerry Browne's management in the fifties. He told me that Browne had a tactic that for every sideline ball that the Abbey won in the opponents half, that the end result was a player in position to take a scoreable point. And 99% of the time they scored.
If there is a manager getting paid to manage a team, surely a kick out strategy isn't too much to ask.

All I'm getting from this is that your uncle greatly exaggerates the ability of players from his youth, and that you're daft enough to believe him.

Yeah I know, an ulster schools cup winning side completing a set play devised by a future All Ireland senior winning manager.
Mad stuff altogether.
Kevin O'Neill must be daft as well:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/down-teams-dont-always-win-but-they-always-believe-they-can-win-26682053.html

'ON the old Dublin Road in Newry, on a hill overlooking Páirc Esler, lives Kevin O'Neill, wing-back on the 1960 team and brother of the celebrated attacker Seán. He attributes much of Down's style to the coaching input of Gerry Brown in the local CBS, the Abbey, in the 1950s, which he attended. He sees the style Brown cultivated and Down's brand as virtually indistinguishable.

"Brown was the first real coach that I encountered in football and he used to break the game down into different facets. I remember him having a team, an under 14 team, my brother Seán played on it in the Abbey, and it was the nearest thing to a machine you ever saw. He would show them how to make decoy runs, go through routines. Some of the scores they ran up in their games were staggering. Goals all over the place.'

Q.E.D

I missed the bit where Abbey dominated colleges football for years.

You keep missing the bit where it's easy to have tactics when your opponents don't have any.

DuffGael

Quote from: Ed Hardy on March 25, 2019, 07:00:56 AM
The only player Ive seen this league campaign to take any high catches was Owen McCabe from Carryduff and he only played for 10mins. Surely he was worth more game time? I think Donnelly bar his injury would have been playing no.8 just finding a partner for him.
Great prospect from my club,  I'd give him a while to settle but he will be a star in the years to come. Probably won't come through this year but I hope I'm wrong.

SamFever

I see an unnamed Carlow Selector (but apparently has previous form ;D) was involved in nasty behaviour after their defeat to Laois on Sunday.
Maybe Croke Park can do what Down failed to do over the years.

Aristo 60

Lotto

Quote from: SamFever on March 26, 2019, 02:42:59 PM
I see an unnamed Carlow Selector (but apparently has previous form ;D) was involved in nasty behaviour after their defeat to Laois on Sunday.

That's an all time low, even for this individual. It was all over here http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=28867.405 on Sunday

Godsown

Quote from: Lotto on March 27, 2019, 07:33:40 PM
Quote from: SamFever on March 26, 2019, 02:42:59 PM

That's an all time low, even for this individual. It was all over here http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=28867.405 on Sunday

All very hard to believe as this man was beattified only 2 weeks ago in the Irish News

Brick Tamlin

Leave him alone.
Man's saving lives.

snoopdog

Congrats to St Colmans on winning an u16 All Ireland title today. Paul McGirr cup. Won by a point.

Smurfy123

League fixtures this week in division 1

Rostrevor v CPN CPN by 4 or 5 think Rostrevor May struggle this year
Castlewellan v BFORD Tight game to call going to go with ford by 2
BHolland v MBridge Bridge to win handy enough Harps May struggle this year bridge by 8
Clonduff v Kilcoo Clonduff always put it upto the magpies but magpies by 4
Downp v Lisland Home advantage to get the hoops of to a good start. Hoops by 3

I see Brolly calling out Poacher again in the Indo about his negative approach to football. Wonder will the public catch on? How many trophies has he won in 25 years

SamFever

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 01, 2019, 10:15:45 AM

BHolland v MBridge Bridge to win handy enough Harps May struggle this year bridge by 8

I see Brolly calling out Poacher again in the Indo about his negative approach to football. Wonder will the public catch on? How many trophies has he won in 25 years
It's not the public that needed to catch on.It's the Clubs that have employed him over the years.

Cuan12

Think Warrenpoint may find Rostrevor too good, Rostrevor by 2, Bridge by 5, Clonduff - draw, Castlewellan- another draw and island by 4, great to see the football back , interesting to see how the league goes, few surprises ahead.

Maiden1

Quote from: SamFever on April 01, 2019, 04:21:37 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 01, 2019, 10:15:45 AM

It's not the public that needed to catch on.It's the Clubs that have employed him over the years.
He kept Ballyholland in div 1 for about 5 years which is good going based on Ballyholland history. Maybe he took them as far as he could and it time for a new voice but I don't understand why so many feel the need to keep having a pop at him.
There are no proofs, only opinions.