The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2017, 01:31:13 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 15, 2017, 11:53:31 AM
Quote from: Main Street on August 15, 2017, 01:36:56 AM
There are many parallels between these Trump supporting fascists 'protecting' their 'culture' from 'annihilation'  and the union flag orange mob protestors in Belfast. Peas of same pod, if that's the saying.
A lot of KKK people originally were Ulster Scots. It is a very dysfunctional culture.
Scottish culture is grand. I wonder why there is a difference

Source/links?

You are getting worse than TF   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIEcqwBp4Lg

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2017, 01:31:13 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 15, 2017, 11:53:31 AM
Quote from: Main Street on August 15, 2017, 01:36:56 AM
There are many parallels between these Trump supporting fascists 'protecting' their 'culture' from 'annihilation'  and the union flag orange mob protestors in Belfast. Peas of same pod, if that's the saying.
A lot of KKK people originally were Ulster Scots. It is a very dysfunctional culture.
Scottish culture is grand. I wonder why there is a difference

Source/links?

You are getting worse than TF   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
http://www.tartansauthority.com/Global-Scots/us-scots-history/hillbillies-and-rednecks

Hillbillies
The origin of this American nickname for mountain folk in the Ozarks and in Appalachia comes from Ulster. Ulster-Scottish (The often incorrectly labeled "Scots-Irish") settlers in the hill-country of Appalachia brought their traditional music with them to the new world, and many of their songs and ballads dealt with William, Prince of Orange, who defeated the Catholic King James II of the Stuart family at the Battle of the Boyne, Ireland in 1690.

Supporters of King William were known as Orangemen and Billy Boys and their North American counterparts were soon referred to as hill-billies. It is interesting to note that a traditional song of the Glasgow Rangers football club today begins with the line, 'Hurrah! Hurrah! We are the Billy Boys!' and shares its tune with the famous American Civil War song, Marching Through Georgia.

Stories abound of American National Guard units from Southern states being met upon disembarking in Britain during the First and Second World Wars with that tune, much to their displeasure! One of these stories comes from Colonel Ward Schrantz, a noted historian and native of Carthage, Missouri ative, and veteran of the Mexican - and veteran of the mexican Border Campaign, as well as the First and Second World Wars - documented a story where the US Army's 30th Division, made up of National Guard units from Georgia, North and South Carolina and Tennessee arrived in the United Kingdom...'a waiting British band broke into welcoming American music, and the soldiery, even the 118th Field Artillery and the 105 Medical Battalion from Georgia, broke into laughter.The excellence of intent and the ignorance of the origins of the American music being equally obvious. The welcoming tune was Marching Through Georgia.'

Redneck
The origins of this term are Scottish and refer to supporters of the National Covenant and The Solemn League and Covenant, or Covenanters, largely Lowland Presbyterians, many of whom would flee Scotland for Ulster (Northern Ireland) during persecutions by the British Crown. The Covenanters of 1638 and 1641 signed the documents that stated that Scotland desired the Presbyterian form of church government and would not accept the Church of England as its official state church.

Many Covenanters signed in their own blood and wore red pieces of cloth around their necks as distinctive insignia; hence the term Red neck, which became slang for a Scottish dissenter. One Scottish immigrant, interviewed by the author, remembered a Presbyterian minister, one Dr. Coulter, in Glasgow in the 1940's wearing a red clerical collar - is this symbolic of the rednecks? Since many Ulster-Scottish settlers in America (especially in the South) were Presbyterian, the term was applied to them, and then, later, their Southern descendants. One of the earliest examples of its use comes from 1830, when an author noted that red-neck was a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians. It makes one wonder if the originators of the ever-present redneck jokes are aware of the term's origins

The KKK were poor white red-neck trash
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/758e8e12-810a-11e7-a4ce-15b2513cb3ff

The Trump administration recently killed an effort to use online technologies to draw people away from extremism, axing a $400,000 grant for a deradicalisation group called Life after Hate in Chicago. Run by several former members of white nationalist organisations, the group was planning to use counter extremism technologies pioneered by Moonshot of London

screenexile

There's still fault on all sides it seems not just the Neio Nazi's!!

whitey

Did anyone just hear Trumps rant.....my god is he unstable

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: whitey on August 15, 2017, 09:35:49 PM

He basically just defended the alt-right, promoted in vineyard in Virginia and walked out. 

mrdeeds

He also said the victims mother said great things about them.

Boycey

Cunny Funt

Stupid Trump turning out to be more stupid than expected.

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 15, 2017, 09:35:49 PM

His feelings were hurt by all the criticism and he can't take it!

I mean... the George WAshington statue, slippery slope stuff???

Does he not get that Washington or Jefferson, while slave owners, as were all southern gentlemen of their time, are honoured for their applicable roles in the revolution, the founding of the country, forming the role of the president and drafting the constitution and so on?

Statues of them are NOT there because they were slave owners.

Lee, Davis and Stonewall Jackson et al. are honoured and venerated for their leadership of the Confederate Army and state, institutions dedicated to the preservation of slavery.

I get that Trump probably read some half-baked blog before he went out to his press conference, but is he really this stupid that he can't see the difference?

At least David Duke is happy with him again!

And while the violence on all sides should be condemned and penalized, the issue here is that one side is promoting white supremacy and one side is counter-protesting that! The material advertizing the Charlotteville march was replete with third reich eagles and everything. His claim that not all of the alt right people who were there were necessarily racist is irrelevant. The event itself was racist. If some moron showed up thinking it was only about the Lee statue, he should have turned his arse about straight away when he saw the get up of the crowd.

Eamonnca1

Fox News criticizing Trump. This is uncharted territory.

Captain Scarlet

The peaceful white group, he would consider to have the permit with the little torches, had a crew from Vice/HBO and they were shouting Blood and Soil and anti semetic chants. And that was ALL of that group who had the permit.
I laugh when I see these people saying 'Not my President' or 'not my country' well yes it is and always has been. It's an awful racist kip and it hasn't started with Trump, he is just an enabler.

And these CEOs leaving were happy enough with all his other shite up to now.

He is the President they deserve. Is it not time to start a third party?
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 01:43:19 AM
Fox depends on ads.
There are very few Yank Nazis with money

stew

Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2017, 09:51:02 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 01:43:19 AM
Fox depends on ads.
There are very few Yank Nazis with money

There are very few Nazi yanks period, end of!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.