Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

A taste of early brexit for the exiteers.

johnnycool

Quote from: Main Street on December 21, 2020, 06:34:20 PM
A taste of early brexit for the exiteers.

Macron showing the Brits that the French do indeed have sovereignty over their borders.

Only 150 trucks queued into Dover according to Boris, jesus that man wouldn't know the truth if it smacked him right in the bake.

bennydorano

See reports in the Guardian of inching closer to a deal on fishing. I'd say the last couple of days has concentrated Little England minds a lot.

johnnycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 14, 2020, 11:48:16 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on December 14, 2020, 04:17:44 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 13, 2020, 02:19:51 PM
Quote from: screenexile on December 09, 2020, 11:35:34 PM
Looking at it seriously this evening there has to be a deal.

The fishing thing is small fry and the UK don't have enough boats to fish all their waters and also don't have the market to sell their catches given the tariffs that will be imposed.

Fishing's a red herring.

The real problem lies in who arbitrates any disputes and whether the European Courts take precedence above the UK supreme court.

Read an interesting article on the fishing thing over the weekend. Trying to find the link but in the meantime the gist of the article is that when subsidies were first introduced by the EU to stop the idiots from fishing to extinction the quota's were brought in along with a raft of other criteria like changes to the nets and so forth that would have meant these fishing boats needing to invest to keep up. Various EU countries helped out with financial grants to help upgrade the boats, but not the UK meaning a lot of the small UK boats and companies ended up selling their quotas to the French fishing industry for not unsubstantial amounts and this is a bone of contention for the French fishing industry.
All's never as simple as it seems.
Thon? > https://www.bbc.com/news/46401558

Found it;

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2018/10/11/fishing-quota-uk-defra-michael-gove/?fbclid=IwAR0at6aCQvrTni48MVwda7zorK3YlP_oa4M2M3h1Yd0YwH-OEBz4yV1odvM

marty34

Quote from: bennydorano on December 22, 2020, 10:08:59 AM
See reports in the Guardian of inching closer to a deal on fishing. I'd say the last couple of days has concentrated Little England minds a lot.

Yes, it might push things over the line alright.

The latest developments over the past few days could put things into a sharper focus.

Main Street

Deutsche Welle  pulls no punches  when laying into Bullshit Johnson

Opinion: Boris Johnson's horrible year.  Rob Mudge (and his dictionary)

"As an adherent of classical Greek language and literature, he will no doubt be familiar with the term kakistocracy — a system of government that is run by the worst, least qualified, and/or most unscrupulous citizens. Personally, I prefer the way the 19th-century word snollygoster rolls off the tongue: an unprincipled individual who is driven entirely by political gain."

Rob seems to think that the EU would have granted a delay if asked.

"A circumspect prime minister faced with a mounting health emergency would have asked the EU for an extension to the Brexit transition period, which ends on December 31. No doubt Brussels would have granted his wish. Instead, his solipsistic and destructive attitude tears at the fabric of British society and threatens to plunge the country into a protracted crisis."

Dougal Maguire

Word is that a free trade deal with EU has been agreed though nothing formally confirmed yet and no cabinet convened yet
Careful now

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 23, 2020, 05:07:45 PM
Word is that a free trade deal with EU has been agreed though nothing formally confirmed yet and no cabinet convened yet

I'd say those 120 lorries Johnson was talking about the other day made them realise the ERG are not the bigger problem.
i usse an speelchekor

red hander

No doubt the trawlermen will be the latest group to be shafted by Johnson after believing a load of bluster, just like the thick loyalist gobshites in the occupied six. Can't wait to see Francois, the blowhard's blowhard, and rest of ERG wankers going apeshit over his latest betrayal.

johnnycool

Quote from: red hander on December 24, 2020, 01:28:40 AM

No doubt the trawlermen will be the latest group to be shafted by Johnson after believing a load of bluster, just like the thick loyalist gobshites in the occupied six. Can't wait to see Francois, the blowhard's blowhard, and rest of ERG wankers going apeshit over his latest betrayal.

The trawlermen took the coin from the spanish and french for their quotas back in the day so their claim to sovereignty in their own waters is utter balls and needs called out for what it is.

51% of the Northern Ireland fishing quota is held by one boat but it's that big it can't dock in Kilkeel where it's registered to and docks in Killybegs.

Drove by the harbour in Portavogie a few weeks back on a Sunday afternoon and I'd say a good few of those boats aren't overly seaworthy and nowhere near the numbers in their hayday.

ardtole

Quote from: johnnycool on December 24, 2020, 10:11:50 AM

The trawlermen took the coin from the spanish and french for their quotas back in the day so their claim to sovereignty in their own waters is utter balls and needs called out for what it is.

51% of the Northern Ireland fishing quota is held by one boat but it's that big it can't dock in Kilkeel where it's registered to and docks in Killybegs.

Drove by the harbour in Portavogie a few weeks back on a Sunday afternoon and I'd say a good few of those boats aren't overly seaworthy and nowhere near the numbers in their hayday.

I would have worked at the portavogie fish market during the school holidays in the early to mid nineties, they would have had a fleet of close to 80 then I'd guess. I read somewhere recently that their fleet was approximately 20.

Definitely the strangest town/village i was ever in.

johnnycool

Quote from: ardtole on December 24, 2020, 10:19:39 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on December 24, 2020, 10:11:50 AM

I would have worked at the portavogie fish market during the school holidays in the early to mid nineties, they would have had a fleet of close to 80 then I'd guess. I read somewhere recently that their fleet was approximately 20.

Definitely the strangest town/village i was ever in.

Still is but they now let us Katlics into the place  ;D

Rossfan

Seems a "fair and balanced" agreement reached.
A "stunning victory" for Bozo no doubt.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bennydorano

Labour pledge to support it through Parliament so cuts the likely ERG grandstanding off at the knees.

Who knows, maybe in 10 years we'll all be proved wrong.