Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

You're confusing the North with normal politics.If c**k ups here resulted in voter punishment the DUP and SF would have been extinct years ago.I told you before Unionists will eat grass before opting for a United Ireland.There is an astonishing lack of understanding of what passes for politics in the North.The whole Health Service,Education system etc is now on the brink of collapse yet neither side will agree on a simple Irish language act and get back into government.The DUP and SF don't lead voters,they are led by voters.

Given that it is a major source of trade for the South is Varadkar not playing a high risk strategy alienating the UK,and risking them leaving with no deal,which would mean a hard border?

Now is anyone else like me, wondering where this macho Freestate confronting the British was when nationalists were being truly oppressed in the North?

straightred

Quote from: T Fearon on December 01, 2017, 10:47:26 PM
You're confusing the North with normal politics.If c**k ups here resulted in voter punishment the DUP and SF would have been extinct years ago.I told you before Unionists will eat grass before opting for a United Ireland.There is an astonishing lack of understanding of what passes for politics in the North.The whole Health Service,Education system etc is now on the brink of collapse yet neither side will agree on a simple Irish language act and get back into government.The DUP and SF don't lead voters,they are led by voters.

Given that it is a major source of trade for the South is Varadkar not playing a high risk strategy alienating the UK,and risking them leaving with no deal,which would mean a hard border?

Now is anyone else like me, wondering where this macho Freestate confronting the British was when nationalists were being truly oppressed in the North?

Fair point but don't forget its FG we are talking about. I'd say its killing them to be forced to take a hard line against the unionists. Varadkar is been told what to do and say by europe. If you are in any doubt about that look at how badly he f**ked up with the Fitzgerald thing earlier this week - that's what happens when this clown is left to develop his own strategy

weareros

Quote from: straightred on December 01, 2017, 11:01:13 PM

Fair point but don't forget its FG we are talking about. I'd say its killing them to be forced to take a hard line against the unionists. Varadkar is been told what to do and say by europe. If you are in any doubt about that look at how badly he f**ked up with the Fitzgerald thing earlier this week - that's what happens when this clown is left to develop his own strategy

Would say a young gay man like Varadkar has zero tolerance for your typical bigoted DUP Unionist. Whatever he's other leadership qualities, he doesn't appear to be socking it to them against his will. Good to see Sammy Wilson et all soiling their orange trousers. What was Paisley Og doing threatening fisheries. We have more territorial waters than anyone.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on December 01, 2017, 11:23:13 PM
Quote from: straightred on December 01, 2017, 11:01:13 PM

Would say a young gay man like Varadkar has zero tolerance for your typical bigoted DUP Unionist. Whatever he's other leadership qualities, he doesn't appear to be socking it to them against his will. Good to see Sammy Wilson et all soiling their orange trousers. What was Paisley Og doing threatening fisheries. We have more territorial waters than anyone.

+1

LV has played a blinder on the border issue, but obviously he had a very strong hand to play once it was obvious how stupid the Tories were being and how little tolerance the EU had for their nonsense.

macdanger2

Tusk's press conference doesn't even feature on the BBC website front news page. Are we over egging the importance of it or are they just ignoring it?

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 01, 2017, 11:49:34 PM
Tusk's press conference doesn't even feature on the BBC website front news page. Are we over egging the importance of it or are they just ignoring it?

The later.

Milltown Row2

I watched news at ten and it was on it, only second behind how much another leader (Trump) has fucked up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 01, 2017, 11:49:34 PM

They are treating it like a Comedian would treat an awkward heckle from the audience.

Itchy

Leo is doing the bidding of the EU. Seriously does anyone think the blueshirts would have balls like this if the EU partners weren't egging him on. That said there is a historic opportunity here for a united Ireland. Britain is killing itself and even unionist centre will look their pockets not their flag. Same thing as when a load of them went for a southern passport.

Hereiam

Even the daily scum dont feature it. The unionists are rattled with the way brexit is going. Still alot to happen yet so wouldn't just be shoutin from the roof tops yet

Rossfan

Do I take it only DUP Unionists voted for Brexit?
I suspect most unionists (small u) want the open border to continue.
The official EU line is that they are supporting a fellow member against a State which is leaving the club.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Quote from: Itchy on December 02, 2017, 12:04:13 AM
Leo is doing the bidding of the EU. Seriously does anyone think the blueshirts would have balls like this if the EU partners weren't egging him on. That said there is a historic opportunity here for a united Ireland. Britain is killing itself and even unionist centre will look their pockets not their flag. Same thing as when a load of them went for a southern passport.

Why do the EU want the UK screwed on this point?

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 02, 2017, 12:19:12 AM
Quote from: Itchy on December 02, 2017, 12:04:13 AM

Why do the EU want the UK screwed on this point?

The EU support the interests of the EU, which includes us.

The Tories still haven't copped on they will not be getting anything like the deal they have in their heads on any of the key points of Brexit, it's more a case of fantasy butting up against harsh realities.

Rossfan

The EU hardly want the yUK screwed over the Irish border issue. More about case of them wanting one of their members happy with the yUK's proposals.
Tommy German on the RTÉ news this evening said there are more official border crossings between the 6 and 26 (310) than on the EU's Eastern Borders with Russia, Belarus,  Moldova and Ukraine.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

That would be my opinion alright - that Ireland don't want a border and the EU is backing us. I was wondering why Itchy was saying that it was something wanted by the EU rather than by the govt in Dublin.