Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uimhr ocht

The pound is in diffs, food prices rising,fuel hiked another 5p litre,jobs being lost,things arent going to improve.Brexit was voted for by working class english people im sure they will suffer the most ironic really.

Minder

Quote from: uimhr ocht on October 14, 2016, 12:37:56 PM
The pound is in diffs, food prices rising,fuel hiked another 5p litre,jobs being lost,things arent going to improve.Brexit was voted for by working class english people im sure they will suffer the most ironic really.

And Wales
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

So why are people still coming over the border to buy food? very strange
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2016, 01:13:09 PM

What do you think is driving the price of food up??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on October 14, 2016, 01:22:45 PM

In Newry? They are hardly coming to Belfast to buy it !
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2016, 01:26:12 PM

I'd say its the strength of the Euro against the pound is making food in Newry cheap to the southerners, BUT its getting dearer for us Nordies, make no mistake about it, Unilever are one of many who'll be bumping their prices up in the near future.

imtommygunn

It's up relative to the pound... If the price of food goes up slower than the pound goes down euro people are quids in...

Though you would have to assume both will align at some point.

Franko

Are you determined to ignore every bit of evidence that's produced on the topic?  This is Fearon-esque behavior.

screenexile

Not just Newry but the fact that buying "British" retail goods is now cheaper for our EU colleagues means British retailers can push their prices up for us while being competitive in the EU market.

UK Exports getting cheaper because of a weakened currency drives the price up for the locals!

armaghniac

Miltown Row, was economics one of your A levels? I wouldn't have thought so.

Prices do not change instantaneously. If Sterling drops 3% this week, then people buying things in Euros get the immediate benefit, but the prices of goods in the shops will not have yet changed. Prices will rise notably in the North by January, but there may be bargains coming up to the Xmas.

Prices will rise, benefits will not rise as much as the Tories don't want to spend money on such things, but also because their revenue will not be buoyant and they have a substantial budget deficit.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Amazon.co.uk is way cheaper this week

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on October 14, 2016, 04:22:24 PM

Are you determined to ignore every bit of evidence that's produced on the topic?  This is Fearon-esque behavior.

No but everyone has given it the doomsday scenario!! I wasn't for the change didnt vote for it, at the minute there is panic by companies and banks and the rest, due to the uncertainty on what could happen and they are preparing for the worst.. but this doom and gloom hasn't happened yet!

Fuel was up a lot more last year than it is now, got a general shop today, nothing stood out to be extortionate, business seems fine nothing, I work in sales and people are buying.

The forecast may be different 5 years later but if it happens it won't be the 70's 3 day week and turn off the power! It won't really effect people who work. And eventually it will level out and then grow.

Our kids will find it tougher but they have a better life than I had growing up in the 70's without a penny to my name!

So it's not head in the sand, nor do I need an economics degree to understand it

bennydorano

Northern Ireland's growth in the last quarter exceeded the overall UK rate, now that is a shock! This quarter will also receive an almighty boost from border hopping shoppers.

While I find Brexit an act of grandiose stupidity, there is an undoubted element of punishing the Brits now (& plenty of self inflicted woes from the Tories). The EU is a club like any other club & it is fearing for it's future, if Italy goes, either politically in a Referendum or with it's basket case Banks the whole project is doomed. The EU will be doing all in it's power to prevent any further Referenda (?ums? ) occurring.

Longterm Brexit could work (who really knows?), but we've years of crap to wade through first unfortunately.

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2016, 06:12:20 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 14, 2016, 04:22:24 PM

No but everyone has given it the doomsday scenario!! I wasn't for the change didnt vote for it, at the minute there is panic by companies and banks and the rest, due to the uncertainty on what could happen and they are preparing for the worst.. but this doom and gloom hasn't happened yet!

Fuel was up a lot more last year than it is now, got a general shop today, nothing stood out to be extortionate, business seems fine nothing, I work in sales and people are buying.

The forecast may be different 5 years later but if it happens it won't be the 70's 3 day week and turn off the power! It won't really effect people who work. And eventually it will level out and then grow.

Our kids will find it tougher but they have a better life than I had growing up in the 70's without a penny to my name!

So it's not head in the sand, nor do I need an economics degree to understand it

I don't think they have, the only one on here who continually quotes the doomsday scenario is seafoid.  As far as I can see, everyone else presents evidence based scenarios from reputable sources (usually quoted).  You haven't provided any evidence whatsoever, just anecdotes and instincts.  And as you seem to enjoy an anecdote, I'll give you one.  You say this 'doom and gloom' hasn't happened yet.  Maybe not in your world.  I was talking to the MD of a relatively successful local company recently who trade mostly in Europe.  The night before the vote they forward bought 20 million euro to hedge against a leave vote.  With the utmost sincerity he tells me now that if they hadn't done that, they would be out of business today.  That's 300 odd people who would right in the middle of 'doom and gloom' at the minute.  The only reason we haven't seen more like this is because of actions like his and those of the BofE who pumped billions into the economy after the vote to steady it up.

Firstly, you probably won't notice the effect of food just yet but it's coming.  Fuel last year was probably where it should be. At minute is being held artificially low to put pressure on Putin.  If the price of a barrel of oil climbs to anywhere near what it did at it's peak, with the current state of sterling, we'll be paying 2 quid a litre.  Secondly, and as I've said before, it hasn't happened yet.

You must have some sort of economics qualification to be fit to state all this.  Again without any shred of supporting evidence whatsoever.

It is, you know.  And no, you don't need a degree to understand it.  But you need more than what you've got at the minute cos you clearly don't.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on October 14, 2016, 06:26:14 PM
Northern Ireland's growth in the last quarter exceeded the overall UK rate, now that is a shock! This quarter will also receive an almighty boost from border hopping shoppers.

While I find Brexit an act of grandiose stupidity, there is an undoubted element of punishing the Brits now (& plenty of self inflicted woes from the Tories). The EU is a club like any other club & it is fearing for it's future, if Italy goes, either politically in a Referendum or with it's basket case Banks the whole project is doomed. The EU will be doing all in it's power to prevent any further Referenda (?ums? ) occurring.

Longterm Brexit could work (who really knows?), but we've years of crap to wade through first unfortunately.

The experts on here know cause they quote people who says it will!