Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Sturgeon is doing a great job.  Scotland's problem is the usual one of balancing the books, but also the problem that if England isn't  closely aligned then you'd have customs etc in Britain.  Interesting times, indeed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

I seen it mentioned somewhere that the Scots would be looking to take the place of the UK as in the Scots never leaving and RUK leaving, instead of the whole UK opting out and then the Scots rejoining so in that case I dont think the Spanish would even have a say.
Not sure on any of that really tho, how it would work with sovereignty etc dont think anyone really has a clue such is the vacuum and instability that are abound at the moment which makes all suggestions plausible.

My money is on a GE in November, hung parliament, then no one still having the balls to invoke article 50, another referendum, win for stay. God knows what the Scots will have done in that time tho.

Very strange times, for all my messin on this subject it actually was an incredibly stupid thing to do / allow to happen. After the fall of Empire and Nationalisation era Britain had regained its status as a bastion of stability and prosperity for the wealthy, that image is all gone now too.

armaghniac

These events have hugely advanced the SNP cause, however it ends up. It has also exposed the dangerous state of the 6 counties,  entirely unable to articulate or assert its own interests.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on June 29, 2016, 06:25:43 AM
Sturgeon is doing a great job.  Scotland's problem is the usual one of balancing the books, but also the problem that if England isn't  closely aligned then you'd have customs etc in Britain.  Interesting times, indeed.

She is playing a blinder.

However, she needs to be careful not to overplay her hand.

She has a massive mandate to stay in the EU, not for independence. If she keeps to the former I think she can succeed. If she gambles and seeks a vote for the latter, she could blow it completely a lá Cameron.
MWWSI 2017

Canalman

Very surprised I haven't read or heard this already, but I think we will have to have a referendum to pass any exit treaty with the UK.

Surely a great bargaining position with our overlords in the EU. As bullish as they seem to be at the moment, I don't think they could hack losing another English speaking nation with a potential to form another trading bloc in Europe.

haranguerer

Quote from: muppet on June 29, 2016, 07:23:54 AM

She has a massive mandate to stay in the EU, not for independence. If she keeps to the former I think she can succeed. If she gambles and seeks a vote for the latter, she could blow it completely a lá Cameron.

How is she playing a blinder exactly? She's been dealt a royal flush.

NAG1

Quote from: haranguerer on June 29, 2016, 10:35:14 AM

She is doing OK in perfect circumstances for her, but here look around. Look at her competition in the leader stakes, Cameron, Boris, Corbyn and OWC Arlene. If a competent politician which she is couldnt look good amongst that lot then had best rethink their career choice.

Franko

If you equate a royal flush to 'exactly what she didn't want' then yes, that's what she's got.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: NAG1 on June 29, 2016, 10:41:19 AM

She is doing OK in perfect circumstances for her, but here look around. Look at her competition in the leader stakes, Cameron, Boris, Corbyn and OWC Arlene. If a competent politician which she is couldnt look good amongst that lot then had best rethink their career choice.

Why are you having a go at Our wee Arnold sorry Arlene she has done more for a United Ireland in the last few weeks than Gerry has in 50 years

No wides

Quote from: Canalman on June 29, 2016, 10:03:07 AM
Very surprised I haven't read or heard this already, but I think we will have to have a referendum to pass any exit treaty with the UK.

Surely a great bargaining position with our overlords in the EU. As bullish as they seem to be at the moment, I don't think they could hack losing another English speaking nation with a potential to form another trading bloc in Europe.

Don't think that is true, I think parliament just vote on it.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: No wides on June 29, 2016, 10:50:41 AM

Yes parliament have the final say on it. Canalman can correct me if I'm wrong but I took this to mean that parliament will not make a direct call on it and will put and exit treaty deal to the people to vote on in a new referendum.

Mind you if Article 50 is already invoked at that stage the clock is ticking. And at the end of two years the UK is out on it's arse whatever is agreed or not.

screenexile

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 29, 2016, 10:47:36 AM

Why are you having a go at Our wee Arnold sorry Arlene she has done more for a United Ireland in the last few weeks than Gerry has in 50 years

You're deluded if you think that. . . the conditions for a border poll are not yet met. Along with that there is still no guarantee that there is a Nationalist majority, there has been no road map set out as to how things would work were we to leave the UK and join Ireland,  along with that the Free State more than likely do not want the extra burden of Northern Ireland.

There are lot of things need to fall into place for a United Ireland to happen and as horrible as Arlene is I don't think she's advanced the cause any in the last few weeks. Sinn Fein are just posturing!

Canalman

Quote from: No wides on June 29, 2016, 10:50:41 AM

Maybe you're right. But if that was the case why did we have referendums ( sometimes twice) to pass other treaties in the past. Think there is something in our constitution that doesn't allow our parliament to  pass treaties on its own bat.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: screenexile on June 29, 2016, 10:58:33 AM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 29, 2016, 10:47:36 AM

You're deluded if you think that. . . the conditions for a border poll are not yet met. Along with that there is still no guarantee that there is a Nationalist majority, there has been no road map set out as to how things would work were we to leave the UK and join Ireland,  along with that the Free State more than likely do not want the extra burden of Northern Ireland.

There are lot of things need to fall into place for a United Ireland to happen and as horrible as Arlene is I don't think she's advanced the cause any in the last few weeks. Sinn Fein are just posturing!

Thats the point the demographic time bomb is a hoax or certainly the last few elections would suggest so. The union is safe -hurray but if Brexit happens then we have a situation were some Unionists for numerous reasons will want to stay in the EU and may have no other option but to vote for the unthinkable. You can bet your life deep down Arlene and any other semi intelligent DUPer wanted to lose the referendum and that it was all really just a show for the core supporters but a win means they will have to actually deal with the consequences which could be profound

haranguerer

Quote from: Franko on June 29, 2016, 10:44:03 AM

If you equate a royal flush to 'exactly what she didn't want' then yes, that's what she's got.

Can you explain that?